Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you think of the door handles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TEG

Teslafanatic
Aug 20, 2006
I appreciate that they are flush and provide good aero.
I appreciate the mechanical nature that feels solid and I bet will be reliable.
But I find them a bit awkward to use... It is easy enough to push on one end to make it swivel, but I find it a bit "fumbly" to grab the handle to pull back on the door. The procedure is different from left side to right side.
Are those with Model 3s finding the door handles easy enough to use on a daily basis?

• Funny
Reactions: BillO
But I find them a bit awkward to use... It is easy enough to push on one end to make it swivel, but I find it a bit "fumbly" to grab the handle to pull back on the door. The procedure is different from left side to right side.
Are those with Model 3s finding the door handles easy enough to use on a daily basis?
I've been a bit apprehensive about the handles from day 1. I feel exactly like you've stated; I appreciate the dumb reliability they will have particularly with the unimpressive reliability that the MS has had with this feature. But, it never convinced me that it would be a superior opening experience to standard "up" versions. Superior aero, yes, but.....Anyway, I'm holding judgement until I get mine or do it on a demo car. It's NOT a deal breaker for me.

We’re coming up on the 3 week mark since delivery and have given at least 10 demo rides. I intentionally don’t give a demonstration how to open the doors. So far everyone has been able to open the doors without assistance on the first attempt.

Want to give one more demo ride? I’ll gladly buy you breakfast, lunch, dinner, drinks haha. Hoping my email is coming any day and dying just to sit in one.

• Funny
Reactions: Krugerrand
@Otmar to the rescue.

Otmar Ebenhoech on Twitter

Heh, I haven't seen anybody use Otmar's method yet irl.

Was at a dinner party last night and I saw the reactions of 6 people to the handles.
The people who were familiar with the Model S expected the handles to pop out. I told them how to open and they were fine with it.
The people who weren't familiar with Tesla at all; 2 struggled, 1 poked it and figured it out.

The interior handles; 1 found the emergency pull and thought it was the only handle. One pressed the release button to see what it did. For the other people I told them how the inside worked before they needed to ask.

I had more trouble with the hatch on the center console. I expected a physical latch. It must be a common thing because the screen had a message for me when I repeatedly tried to close it and failed. I thought that was both funny and sad.

But overall people are easy to train. :)

And, yes, do need to close the door a bit hard but I expect that'll wear in.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSqB
I don't have mine yet. I think they look cool and I'm happy they don't auto present (one less thing to break), but I'm not looking forward to having to explain to every new passenger how to enter and exit the vehicle. I'm fully expecting nearly everyone to reach for the emergency release handle to exit the vehicle.

First aftermarket I want is something to block that.

It is a different procedure on every car. Think about it, if you are on the passenger side you use your right hand and if you are on the drivers side you use your left. If you don't you are awkwardly opening the door into yourself.

I think you can also use your left hand on the passenger side and right hand on the driver side, but you need to turn your hand palm up instead.

Reactions: EV-Bull
I have trouble with the driver’s side door, because apparently, I am normally holding my stuff in my left hand, which is the preferred hand for the handle on that side. My hands aren’t quite big enough (or coordinated enough or something) to manage the “upside down” grab easily, and I often don’t manage to open the door that way. So I have to stop, transfer what I am holding to my other hand then open the door with the proper hand.

I will have to try the “Otmar” method, I guess I was worried you would get pinched that way.

Otherwise, I just need to train myself to carry things in the correct hand for the side of the car I am approaching. Will just take a learning curve.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP