TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

what do you think of the liquid cooled supercharging cable?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by jypn, Feb 24, 2016.

1. jypn

jypn New Member

Elon mentioned the new thinner cooled supercharging cable. I don't know exact configuration of liquid cooled cable.
    If there is a damage in charger cable or plug, then, Does the liquid in the cable create short-circuit and overcurrent?

2. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

A short circuit should trip some kind of breaker. But that scenario is unlikely. More likely, a damaged cable would leak out the liquid, which would be detected, and the charger would automatically shut down until repaired.

I think they already have some in operation. Would be interested to hear some news on how they are holding up.

3. harry

harry Member

I've used one of these cables. They are slimmer and easier to handle, and it doesn't seem as if there is much room for liquid inside the cable sheath.

4. Sulako

Sulako Member

I just wish the cables were about a foot longer. Hopefully the new ones are.

5. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

yea, I could use a bit more wiggle room.

6. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Member

I agree, Sulako and Sabr. Most of the older Supercharger locations didn't seem to have tire backing stops in the parking spaces. The newer ones do, it seems, or at least some of them. And they are mounted so far out in the spaces that you do have to actually go ALL the way back to where your tires are up against them, and then the cable barely reaches. And it only barely reaches if you are slightly hugging the driver's side of the space, so the charging port is closer. If you are slightly toward the passenger side, it doesn't quite want to work. I would dearly love for those parking stops to be about 6 inches or a foot further back.