Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you think of the uberturbine wheels on the M3P?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the dark Tesla Zero Gs are the best loooking wheels on Model 3s, hands down. Someone mentioned on the site that Tesla should have made those the MP3+ standard wheels, and I agree.
Absolutely. I think the issue would be range loss though. Would be surprised if it was less than a 10% loss, which would look bad for specs on Tesla's sales page.

Reactions: OUengineer
Honestly, I can't think of any OEM wheels that look better than an aftermarket option - regardless of car brand. Even supercars, I'd probably replace the OEM setup with something better looking and lighter (carbon fiber?). I don't think the uberturbines look bad, but I've got a set of 2-piece BC forged being produced as we speak that will look about 200% better and be about 30% lighter - but you know about opinions... ;)
and im opposite.... ive never changed a factory wheel, except on some old muscle cars....

I think the dark Tesla Zero Gs are the best loooking wheels on Model 3s, hands down. Someone mentioned on the site that Tesla should have made those the MP3+ standard wheels, and I agree.
They are the standard wheels - in China where the range calculations are different and high speed highway commuting is far less common.

Screenshot 2021-08-15 115333.png

Reactions: OUengineer and Sam1
The look of the wheel (terrible), the 20" size (too big), the 35 series tire (too small), and summer only is a big reason I went with an LR+. There are tons of sets of Performance wheels and tires for sell locally and they aren't easy to get rid of. If I'm replacing the stock wheels and tires anyway, I don't want to be paying extra for them (and I did, with a 19" wheel and 40 series performance all-season).

Looking for reviews got me here, so let me resuscitate the thread. I just ordered a new M3P. My current one has the 2020 20" low profile tires. The look better than the turbine wheels, but even with those I got to know my local rim fix guy pretty well during my two years. Even got my own rate 🤷‍♂️

I'm torn. Do I want to do this again? Or should I get the LR version. I like the pedal feel, but honestly how much less is it with an LR? 😕

Looking for reviews got me here, so let me resuscitate the thread. I just ordered a new M3P. My current one has the 2020 20" low profile tires. The look better than the turbine wheels, but even with those I got to know my local rim fix guy pretty well during my two years. Even got my own rate 🤷‍♂️

I'm torn. Do I want to do this again? Or should I get the LR version. I like the pedal feel, but honestly how much less is it with an LR? 😕

I think you would do well to continue to support your local rim fix it guy!

Tim

FYI, the new Ubers are 20x9", yet they put a 235/35-20 on them, which stretches them, make the profile effectively even smaller.

My plan is to eventually swap out the 235/35 with some 255/35, which is a much better fitment for that width wheel, and it's should sit more "square" and provide a little more sidewall. A couple of folks have done this and it looks really solid.

Above 30mph you can hardly feel the difference between P and LR, but at lower speeds it's night and day, especially when it's well charged.

The sport wheels available with the LR today are little more than a fugly simulacrum of the signature "Stiletto" wheels Tesla once made so even if you got the LR, you'd be torn between hubcap and hubcap-ish.

The rational approach would be to get the LR, sell the 18" aeros for $1K and get the aftermarket wheels of your dreams.
The better approach would be to get the P, sell the Ubers for $2500 and get the aftermarket wheels of your dreams.

I just wish we had the option to order an M3P without the 20” Uberturbines but instead spec the M3P with the 19” Sport or even 18” Aero wheels (if they cleared the brakes on the M3P).

Seems that Tesla loses a lot of potential M3P buyers because they’re forced to accept the 20” uberturbines that just don’t work in bad weather or unmaintained roads (not everyone lives in SoCal where there’s no rain or snow and the roads are generally in good shape.

• Love
Reactions: StephanB
I just wish we had the option to order an M3P without the 20” Uberturbines but instead spec the M3P with the 19” Sport or even 18” Aero wheels (if they cleared the brakes on the M3P).

Seems that Tesla loses a lot of potential M3P buyers because they’re forced to accept the 20” uberturbines that just don’t work in bad weather or unmaintained roads (not everyone lives in SoCal where there’s no rain or snow and the roads are generally in good shape.

i dont understand it either. I get it for europe, but i.e. in Australia I have stealth performance and I had to drive >1000kms on rural roads in a day without ultrafast charging for 2 years routinely. Never any problems with my 18" tires. I know people whove done the trip in their true performance and they all end up getting punctures and blowouts.

Reactions: StephanB