Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you think of this? Early buyers of Tesla's Model 3 get two choices: color, wheel size

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
^ What you said makes sense but if the article is accurate, more choices will be made available but no mention when:

"You just need to decide what color you want and what size wheels, at least for the initial production," Musk told shareholders at an annual meeting in Silicon Valley.

Hundreds of thousands of potential buyers put down refundable deposits on the Model 3. Buyers will be able to configure vehicles next month, Musk said.

More choice will become available, but he did not say when.

^ What you said makes sense but if the article is accurate, more choices will be made available but no mention when:

"You just need to decide what color you want and what size wheels, at least for the initial production," Musk told shareholders at an annual meeting in Silicon Valley.

Hundreds of thousands of potential buyers put down refundable deposits on the Model 3. Buyers will be able to configure vehicles next month, Musk said.

More choice will become available, but he did not say when.
News articles not accurate? Like that's never happened before. I think whoever wrote that article paraphrased a bit as I don't believe that was his actual quote verbatim. Yes, Elon did mention the color and wheel examples but I don't think it ever was implied that was all the choices would be.

• Informative
Reactions: internalaudit
I think something many people are also forgetting is that Tesla/Elon did say that "highly options versions" first (here and here)

So if you take that into consideration, my view is that he's saying for the initial builds you can pick a color.. you can pick your wheels.. but if you dont want Option A, B, and C, we're going to build yours a little later, because all of the first batch will include Options A, B, and C.

News articles not accurate? Like that's never happened before. I think whoever wrote that article paraphrased a bit as I don't believe that was his actual quote verbatim. Yes, Elon did mention the color and wheel examples but I don't think it ever was implied that was all the choices would be.

Even Insideevs got it wrong then:

Tesla Model 3 Configurator Online In July Alongside First Deliveries, Limited Options At First

“Initially, the Model 3 configurator — it’s kind of going to be like what color do you want and what size of wheels do you want. That’s basically going to be the configurator.” offered Musk.

As for the larger questions: battery sizing, performance, and of course cost…still no word.

I was on the call and heard what he said. He indicated that there would be only a couple of choices as in probably color and wheel size. NO one challenged him if he was to be taken literally, and nothing further was said or elaborated on. I personally don't think it will be ONLY those 2 choices, but stranger things have happened. :oops:

• Informative
He stated the same two options (color and wheels) on separate occasions during his Q&A. I really don't think he would come so ill-prepared as to not remember other options that would be present at launch. This is another instance, just like HUD, where people listen to elon's words, decipher them as what they WISH to hear it, and then start a conspiracy online.

I have been completely against the anti-sell, but I'm starting to see why tesla needs to create these documents outlining the differences between the cars now. He literally says things multiple times and people still don't get it.

From watching the video, my impression is that Musk was stating there would be very limited options for initial deliveries, and that color/rims were two examples of things buyers could choose from. Not that those literally would be the only two choices the buyer would make.

Its been speculated that larger battery comes first, and we've seen nothing but glass roof so far so we can presume that might also be forced at launch. Having few options and getting a barebones car are not synonymous. It may be a case where the launch vehicles are 42-50K.

I was on the call and heard what he said. He indicated that there would be only a couple of choices as in probably color and wheel size. NO one challenged him if he was to be taken literally, and nothing further was said or elaborated on. I personally don't think it will be ONLY those 2 choices, but stranger things have happened. :oops:

I think something many people are also forgetting is that Tesla/Elon did say that "highly options versions" first (here and here)

So if you take that into consideration, my view is that he's saying for the initial builds you can pick a color.. you can pick your wheels.. but if you dont want Option A, B, and C, we're going to build yours a little later, because all of the first batch will include Options A, B, and C.

There are forced options at launch -- RWD, (rumored) larger battery, (presumably) glass roof. For some, these are the options they want so its not as though they aren't getting options, they are just not able to select the options they don't want. and when it comes down to it, missing a tax credit tier will make people sacrifice things they wouldn't prefer to.

I can almost guarantee that no one (but the truly die hard basic M3 fan) is going to configure based on those two options. I don't even care about the color cause my daughter wants black and I am okay with the cheapest tire option.

Tesla Model 3 Configurator Online In July Alongside First Deliveries, Limited Options At First

“Initially, the Model 3 configurator — it’s kind of going to be like what color do you want and what size of wheels do you want. That’s basically going to be the configurator.” offered Musk.

As for the larger questions: battery sizing, performance, and of course cost…still no word.

Those are the literal words he said. Tone and body language give context/information that the transcript does not express.

• Informative

To me, him saying "it’s kind of going to be like" doesn't mean that is all it will be, it's just oversimplification, off-the-cuff statement to mean, yeah options will be limited at first.

He stated the same two options (color and wheels) on separate occasions during his Q&A. I really don't think he would come so ill-prepared as to not remember other options that would be present at launch. This is another instance, just like HUD, where people listen to elon's words, decipher them as what they WISH to hear it, and then start a conspiracy online.

I have been completely against the anti-sell, but I'm starting to see why tesla needs to create these documents outlining the differences between the cars now. He literally says things multiple times and people still don't get it.
It has nothing to do with what I WISH to hear since I will be waiting to purchase the dual motors version of the car in 2018. The options available in July are largely irrelevant to me.

Musk is not a polished public speaker, and he often says things off the cuff, something that has frustrated his marketing/communications staff in the past.

My impression is that he wanted to express the fact that there would be minimal configuration options in July, and he was thinking on the spot as to what examples he could give. My basis for this is the pause in the statement, him looking upward and bouncing his head back/forth as if searching for an answer, and using qualifying words such as "kind of like" and "basically."

In contrast, he could have easily stated, "There will only be two options for people to select in July: paint color and wheel size." That would be a simple and straightforward thing to remember/say, so I don't feel as if he'd have to search for words to express that as he did.

Could I be wrong? Sure- it's clear many others have had a different impression. I suppose we'll find out one way or the other by the end of July.

Either way, I'm thankful for those who order early models. I've heard too many stories about early Model S and X deliveries that I will wait to place an order even if they offer all the options that I want early on.

I think these will be highly optioned vehicles (i.e. have a rich suite of options). You just won't be able to choose which options.
In order to get the assembly line up to speed, they need to make the cars easy to build. It's much easier to build them all the same rather than have each car coming down the line have different options. Once they get that ironed out, look for more choices.