TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What do you think of this Model S front bumper design?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by MITE46, Aug 26, 2014.

1. MITE46

MITE46 Member

#1 MITE46, Aug 26, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
    A couple months back, I asked my buddy, Duke, to design a new front bumper for my MS...Here's the latest sketch, what do you guys think? Open to comments and suggestions!

If there's enough interest, we're thinking of putting together a group buy for the initial run of 20 kits...Material will be carbon fiber...

[​IMG]

2014 85 White #459XX
    2014 BMW i3 REX Laurel
    2013 P85 Brown #186XX
    2011 BMW ActiveE 98982 & 98879
    2010 Chevy Volt Diamond
    2008 BMW MiniE #279

2. Earthdog

Earthdog Member

I like it.

3. Tony Lin

Tony Lin Member

Count me in.. as long as it looks low enough

4. wstuff

wstuff Junior Member

Very interesting concept but it appears as if it would produce a lot of frontal drag and disrupt the laminar airflow under the car. I would be concerned with range performance ,so many tiny things can really make a huge difference to a drag coefficient. The look is very aggressive, nice design work.

5. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

I had the same first thought as wstuff. I think this would have a huge impact on range - especially at highway speeds.

6. TES-E

TES-E Member

Not for me...

7. James Anders

James Anders Member

I like it too. But I also share the same concerns on drag. Perhaps if the indented central area wasn't that deep? Or if there was a way to funnel air down efficiently.

Might be worth having someone do some quick CFD studies. In lieu of air tunnel testing that might be good enough to show it wouldn't really hurt air flow too bad.

-J

8. MITE46

MITE46 Member

I totally agree about the drag! Since I travel from SF <=> LA quite a bit, and often roll into SC stations with < 10 miles remaining, reducing range is a deal breaker for me. Fortunately, there's a wind tunnel on campus, maybe I'll see what their appetite for testing a tesla before and after is. =)

Also, there will be PDC hole options and also front LED fogs, we just haven't decided where they will go yet. But just in terms of aesthetics, any suggestions? Thanks!

9. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

Also, don't forget to find a place to incorporate the parking sensors.

10. BlueTan85

BlueTan85 Member

Yikes.:scared:

While everyone else is collecting flies in their Teslas, you'll be collecting birds and small mammals.

11. Morristhecat

Morristhecat Member

It looks like it is trying to get air into a radiator. I'd suggest retrying it to flow air similar to it's current shape, but a newer style.

12. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Yes, this design is stuck in the past. The Model S doesn't need such large air inlets.

13. WeazL

WeazL Moderator - Hawaii

I'd incorporate them into the lower lip so they might actually detect wheel stops in parking lots.

14. purplewalt

purplewalt Active Member

Any chance you might consider adding a location for front license plate?
    In European countries (long and thin proportions) and some states (American rectangular format, Texas is one of them), they are required, or the local law enforcement can stop you and issue a citation.

*** Put me in the litigation avoidance category... :cool:

15. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

I like it!

16. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

Actually it does.
    There are two big radiators in front of both front wheels, much bigger than their air inlets.

IMAG0142.jpg
    ModelS-Chassis-1050x700.jpg

17. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Active Member

Not the best choice for bumpers. Any bump and you're looking at a big repair bill.

18. Mr X

Mr X Future Owner

Maybe for a video game, but not for real life.

19. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

I'd say it's better than Saleen's nose.
    Put up a nice website and you might sell a few batches.
    There are tens of thousands owners out there alerady. If in only 0,1% of them go for it, your first batch is sold out.

20. MITE46

MITE46 Member

@BlueTan85: Hah yeah, wish there was an insect to electricity converter!

@ecarfan: I agree ecars don't need big air intakes, hoping to have the same rudder system that can close the vents to improve drag.

@Weazl: That's a great idea, I've run into the parking sensor issue with the curb myself! Hopefully installing it lower on the lip will not cause higher objects to go undetected. More to come on that.

@Purplewalt: Tell me about it, I just got a no front plate ticket in Hollywood, then another one in Palo Alto, within the same month. I would imagine since we don't want to block the left and right vents, it has to go in the center opening somewhere, maybe we can make an adapter for both US and Euro plates. Thanks for the idea.

@WarpedOne: That's a good photo, there seems to be a center radiator also in the bottom picture? Is that right? Seems like half height.

@smorgasbord: We could make a ABS plastic version at a later time. In my personal experience, on non trival bumper damage, I've always replaced rather than repaired due to piece of mind, especially on high end cars like Tesla's. We'll see how far the project goes?

@WarpedOne: Thanks, we were thinking the same thing. We think there's at least 20 people that would buy this. Otherwise, it would be cost prohibitive to pay for the R&D for just myself.