Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you think the “Rectifications” are costing Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thankfully my first 3 was pretty flawless, sans a few minor issues remote rangers took care of. When I pick up my Y in a week, it will get absolutely rejected if it doesn't hit the mark for BASIC stuff like paint and panels to the level of every other car I have purchased (to be fair to Tesla). Tesla is a big boy now and this nonsense of crapping things out as quickly as possible to pursue chasing quarters at the expense of passing quality will not play any longer. They need to really tighten up and stop pushing these problems downstream. Minimum viable product no longer works at this level.

More and more regular customers are coming into the Tesla fam and if their first time experience is junky, there will be no love of Tesla's backstory and mission to save them from going with another product. I know they can do it, so lets turn the production notch down a bit and fix this!

Reactions: teko
I spoke to the head of body shop support in my local Tesla SC while we were going over glaring defects with my MY and she said corporate had sent out a memo instructing SCs to seriously limit the amount of repairs they were doing because when Tesla corp ran the math, the cars were no longer profitable. Saying this while time-bounding me to go point out the issues which were 1/4 the number of the photos I sent them (60+) and quickly compromise on the less noticeable (ex. completely missing paint in door jamb, paint nibs in lower thirds of doors) defects.

I’m not holding my MY to any standard higher than I gave my 2007 Mazda RX8 which I traded in (and delivery advisor said they were so impressed by my trade-in the manager and staff came out to inspect it and also said no MY delivered so far has a paint finish as good.. take from that what you will) and have lowered my expectations based on forum posts and my own experience with my 2018 Model 3 which from the get-go I have accepted a few defects as a given with Tesla ownership (uneven pearl white paint, fenders not flush, inherent deformations / dents in doors from day 1); I have never gone to Tesla to complain about those issues; I’m a very proud Tesla owner and have derived joy from driving my Model 3 around while the MY has been in service the last 7 days- a car that I thought would become super ceded by the MY in build quality that I was sure Tesla had improved on after 2 years- but you know what- the Model 3 by comparison- itself already flawed compared to other new cars- is comparatively immaculate compared to my new MY.

View attachment 552074 View attachment 552075 View attachment 552076
Most all cars and homes come with a punch list that needs sorting, usually at your friendly local service center.

Tesla is aware to the penny what it cost them for "customer Satisfaction" adjustments. They, of course, factor that into their production/profit figures.

In spite of what seem to be challenging by many owners, it still remains a fact that they are the most valuable Auto manufacturer in N. America.
A few unhappy customers can deteriorate their goodwill.

At traditional Dealerships when the cars come off the transport they are in checked. Any major defects are usually corrected before it goes to the cleaning and detail guys. Cleaning and detail people may find defects also which get corrected before sale. Do items still get missed? Sure they do. Cars get scratched in the lots. Cars are also cleaned on delivery where a defect can also be spotted and corrected before customer takes car home or fixed at a later date. With Tesla it goes from the factory to the delivery center to the customer It seems like the delivery centers are told to just clean the cars and if you find problems don't worry about them. There are people who will find every little thing wrong with the car. But some of these cars should have never left the factory or sold to customers until these issues were fixed