Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What does a Model Y deposit get you??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is anyone out there planning on putting a deposit down?

For those people that did for Model 3 what benefit did you get other than getting it a little early, and maybe really early for existing owners. For the 35k version it seems almost useless since you may get it only a month or two later than a deposit holder

I doubt they give prior owner priority with Model Y but guess we will find out soon!

At the narrow end of the production curve... IF you want the variant of the car they're making.... IF you live in the region they're selling it.

I'm both those things. I live in CA and will likely be ordering AWD LR Premium interior (likely first production). So yeah I'm gonna put down a reservation.

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando
For Model 3, a reservation helped. Every time a specific trim was released the deliveries were prioritized to reservation holders. In some cases a new buyer picked a color/wheels combo that was in stock and got it quicker, but in general the reservation was respected. For my LR RWD model 3 I was invited to configure and order in February 2018, long before others. When I purchased in August they found me a vin immediately and delivered in a few days, due to my reservation. I think if you bought a model 3 SR today then your delivery is prioritized over others if you have reservation. So I think all of this will be the exact same if you have a model Y reservation too.

• Helpful
Reactions: cityberty
For Model 3, a reservation helped. Every time a specific trim was released the deliveries were prioritized to reservation holders. In some cases a new buyer picked a color/wheels combo that was in stock and got it quicker, but in general the reservation was respected. For my LR RWD model 3 I was invited to configure and order in February 2018, long before others. When I purchased in August they found me a vin immediately and delivered in a few days, due to my reservation. I think if you bought a model 3 SR today then your delivery is prioritized over others if you have reservation. So I think all of this will be the exact same if you have a model Y reservation too.
Thanks were you able to keep defferring if you chose to do so?

Who said they were even doing reservations? When asked on an earnings call a couple of quarters ago if they would use a similar reservation system for Model Y, Elon said they weren't sure, and AFAIK there hasn't been a word about it. The Model 3 reservation system was known about well in advance, and presumably SOMETHING would have been mentioned by now if they were taking reservations.

I don't think I'll be able to watch the event live tonight, and not sure if I would reserve even if I were and they were doing that, but if something has been said about reservations that would be a good thing to know!

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando
As a Model S owner, my day 2 online reservation got me the right to pass up the black/black LR RWD (only one offered) several months after the day 1 line waiters. I got to continue to pass on the AWD white/white for several more months after they jacked up the price on all three options. And finally, when they dropped the price back to the original level towards the end of the year, I couldn't even apply the deposit to the in-transit car that the DS and I snagged. Had to have it refunded.

Nonetheless, I will place a deposit on a Y. The ability to say smugly, "I have a Model Y on reservation" is worth the forgone return on the 1000 or whatever they require.

If they do take reservations... I'd be interested to know if I could move my 2nd Model 3 reservation to a Model Y reservation. Without having to take a refund and then recommit.

I hope they don't allow this. Reservations should be for that specific car, and not allow to be punted so you (as nice a person as I'm sure you are) can jump ahead of me, who's waited for this car for 4 years. That doesn't seem fair.

I hope they don't allow this. Reservations should be for that specific car, and not allow to be punted so you (as nice a person as I'm sure you are) can jump ahead of me, who's waited for this car for 4 years. That doesn't seem fair.

I don't think this will be a big issue. In the end you may have to wait to get the configuration you want anyway. I learned on the 3 reservation, it's about getting what you want quickly, not being the first overall. You may think differently.

I don't see how I could "punt ahead of you". I could either transfer the $1K from my existing reservation, or pay $1K to reserve the car. It would not change the timing of my reservation.

At the narrow end of the production curve... IF you want the variant of the car they're making.... IF you live in the region they're selling it.

I'm both those things. I live in CA and will likely be ordering AWD LR Premium interior (likely first production). So yeah I'm gonna put down a reservation.

Same here. I probably will put one down in case the early availability cars overlap with what I want. It helped with my 3, which I've had for 363 days now. Can't hurt.