Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What does driving a P+L actually feel like?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all... Current X75d owner with a Raven P+L on the way.

Is the upgrade to speed and acceleration really noticeable? To me, the 75 seems pretty quick when I accelerate, so I'm curious what it feels like for the P model...

Also, what's the difference between Insane/Ludicrous/Ludicrous+? Do people keep it in Ludicrous mode the entire time, or does that drain the battery faster? Is Ludicrous + only for special circumstances?

Unfortunately, I don't have time to go test drive one to answer these questions, so I wanted to get some real-world opinions from other owners.

Thanks!

I will let the Ludi owners answer more fully, but having rented (Turo) both a Ludicrous S and a non-Performance X, I don't think I would ever buy a P Tesla. But I'm 56 and don't really worry too much about what other people think. I've been lurking around here long enough to remember when there were no badges for the MS ("badges? we don't need no stinkin' badges!"), and I rather liked that the 60 looked exactly like the P85. But we love for everyone to know how much we paid.

Launches are a neat parlor trick for sure. Yet I find even the non-P versions still induce the Tesla grin.

Do you really think 2.4-2.8 is necessary? I spent a weekend in Newport with a X 90D. I think that's around 4.7-4.8 0-60? And I was rarely at a high state of charge. I bet I was "challenged" from the pole position at a stop light at least 6 times from a variety of vehicle makes. Nobody even came close in the 0-30 to the next light. More importantly, I find non-P Tesla's have plenty of giddy up going from 55 to 75 when you're trying to escape traffic and change lines on the freeway.

I have nothing against folks who love performance cars and the Ludi is pretty amazing. When I drove it, almost seemed a bit scary. My daughter felt a little unwell after a few launches. So even if I had it, not sure how often I would use it. Any and all Tesla's seem plenty quick to me.

Hey all... Current X75d owner with a Raven P+L on the way.

Is the upgrade to speed and acceleration really noticeable? To me, the 75 seems pretty quick when I accelerate, so I'm curious what it feels like for the P model...

Also, what's the difference between Insane/Ludicrous/Ludicrous+? Do people keep it in Ludicrous mode the entire time, or does that drain the battery faster? Is Ludicrous + only for special circumstances?

Unfortunately, I don't have time to go test drive one to answer these questions, so I wanted to get some real-world opinions from other owners.

Thanks!

Yes, the difference between a P and non-P is significant. With a non-P, there is a drop-off in power after 30-40 mph. With a Performance, the car keeps pulling. Also, passing speed is significantly faster with a Performance.

When driving a non-P loaner or even a P90DL loaner, I miss the P100DLs power.

Yes, I keep it in Ludicrous mode all the time. It is manageable.

So I feel well qualified to answer this because I drove an X75D for about 18 months, then just got my X P100DL a few weeks ago. I also have a Model 3 Performance for reference.

So the X75D is fast, but it's not make-your-stomach-drop-and-head-cloud fast. It's weird but once you get to a certain acceleration, it's not just fast but almost uncomfortably fast. Like if you had a big meal you wouldn't want to do that because you might lurch. NOT that this is a bad thing, it's just an intense acceleration. It's one that can catch your passengers off guard and some passengers go fight-or-flight if they you gun it and they aren't expecting it. I never had that in my X75D. The Model 3 Performance is that fast as well, but the XP100DL is just a touch faster.

So with your model X75D, you have Chill and Sport mode as your two acceleration profiles. An X Performance (formerly P100D) without ludicrous will also have Insane and Insane+ mode which are a good step up from the Sport mode you are used to on the Model X. It's what I'd think most people would expect when I say "Very fast sports car". Ludicrous and Ludicrous+ mode replace Insane and Insane+ and are just another level above that. I remember my first time on a super sports bike (Yamaha R1) and my response to that acceleration was "I just didn't know they could make vehicles accelerate that fast" and I think Ludicrous and Ludicrous+ are like that for a lot of people. It's not quite as fast as an R1, but in any case I think lots of people who experience it don't realize that something, much less an SUV, can physically accelerate with that much vigor.

As far as what driving mode you want to keep it in. Sport mode is going to be very similar to the sport mode in your Model X 75D. Ludicrous mode is going to be very similar as well, and if you're driving nicely you won't even be able to tell the difference. The pedal response for maybe 2/3 of the travel is (nearly) identical insomuch that I don't notice if my mode is changed most drives.It's that last 1/3 of the pedal travel that ramps up, way way way up. It's like imagine this whole time there was a little wooden block under your Model X 75D pedal so you could only push it part way down, now you can put it in Ludicrous and push it all the way down and get the full power. You can still drive the same as you always have, it's just that last end of the pedal travel that shoots up. (Note: The physical travel of the pedal doesn't change, just the power curve).

Finally + modes are just for showing off. There's a number of little tweaks it does, like heating the battery, to eek out that last little bit of power to make it as absolutely fast as possible. It drains a ton of battery to heat the battery and the difference is really not that big. You wouldn't ever put it in + mode during daily driving, only if you were going to drag race or to show off or whatever.

It's the launch that is most noticeable. When you can accelerate faster than you can free-fall, it feels different to your body. The feeling on my eyes was a little uncomfortable the first few times, so I obviously repeated the launch process to help condition them.

I came from a 600+ hp SUV, so the rolling acceleration wasn't as dramatic for me, but you'll feel a substantial difference in power coming from something less powerful, ICE or EV.

One of my customers, a Model 3 owner, wanted to experience a ludicrous launch going out to lunch and my sales rep, who'd never been in a Tesla, thought we'd been rear ended when I launched.

I had a modified 2015 M5 with 720HP.

I test drove the P100D and they are able to select model level. The difference between the 100D and P100D was substantial. The 100D was not even close to acceptable performance for me coming from my M5.

The acceleration from a P100D from a stop is truly “ludicrous”. But from a highway roll, it’s a dog.

Do you love performance, have you modded all your previous cars, participate in track events, 1/2 mile and 1/4 mile races? Then you’ll be wanting the P100D. Do you putt around on your commute and look at a car “to get you from point A to point B”, then the 100D will be more than fast enough for you.

P Aka Performance models are noticeably faster. Not just out the gate, but if your already going 55, you can still get a punch of power if wanted.

Insane is for people without ludi.
(Non P models)

Ludi+ is for very rare circumstances, Racing/showing off your car really.

Ludi+ actually requires some time to "warmup" the battery to get its full potential and it significantly increases the battery consumption. You also need to be in this mode + low/very low suspension to engage a "launch"

And if you really want those fast speed times at a track, you actually need to prep for it.
Fully charge/activate Ludi+ and wait for warmup/recharge/then launch.
Your fast acceleration is partly determined by how full your battery is, Higher battery% = more speed.

The drop in acceleration is most noticeable if you drop below 65-75% battery.

These things are not something a "normal" driver needs to worry about tho.

• Informative
Reactions: Spelly88
P Aka Performance models are noticeably faster. Not just out the gate, but if your already going 55, you can still get a punch of power if wanted.

(Non P models)

Ludi+ is for very rare circumstances, Racing/showing off your car really.

Ludi+ actually requires some time to "warmup" the battery to get its full potential and it significantly increases the battery consumption. You also need to be in this mode + low/very low suspension to engage a "launch"

And if you really want those fast speed times at a track, you actually need to prep for it.
Fully charge/activate Ludi+ and wait for warmup/recharge/then launch.
Your fast acceleration is partly determined by how full your battery is, Higher battery% = more speed.

The drop in acceleration is most noticeable if you drop below 65-75% battery.

These things are not something a "normal" driver needs to worry about tho.

Edit: keep in mind P models have a shorter range than a 100 non P model. I believe the sacrifice is 30-40miles of range for that extra power

came from a 600+ hp SUV, so the rolling acceleration wasn't as dramatic for me, but you'll feel a substantial difference in power coming from something less powerful, ICE or EV.
Was similar before I got my first Tesla (P85) came from an X5M which was a fast SUV ..hard to go back to a non P Tesla ..the acceleration is brutal ..but I enjoy more for passing speeds now as the launches got old after awhile ;)

Was similar before I got my first Tesla (P85) came from an X5M which was a fast SUV ..hard to go back to a non P Tesla ..the acceleration is brutal ..but I enjoy more for passing speeds now as the launches got old after awhile ;)
I switched from a X6M with a Dinan stage 2 tune. Some days I miss it since it handled better than the X and you could break all 4 wheels loose in a corner, but the P100D destroys it in a straight line.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
I've driven a ton of loaner Model S cars from the 75 up through the P85D and honestly they all feel the same for daily acceleration. They're all quick of the line compared to ICE cars. The 19" vs 21" wheels make more of a difference in daily "feel" since our P90DL tracks on rails and doesn't have any of the slop I get from 19" wheels.

However, on the Ludicrous acceleration--I rarely use it. That's why the 75 feels about the same in daily driving. I leave my car in Ludicrous all the time, but just never push the pedal down that far... until I want to.

And when I want to, it's uncomfortably fast. It's nuts. The 75 is quick. The P85D is Faaaaast. But Ludicrous is just puts a bit more crazy on top and keeps pulling harder for a bit longer than the other models. Merging onto the freeway at 80mph is just so easy with the L.

• Love
(Non P models)
Actually, you had to have a “P” model to get Insane. Ludicrous just replaced insane with the advent of the inconel battery contactors and pyrofuse capable of 1500 amps instead of the former 1200 amps. Retrofits for these parts became available for P85Ds once the P90DL came out. The performance motors are the same in both Insane and Ludicrous-equipped cars.

I've got a Model S P85DL, and I keep it in Ludicrous at all times. You just never know when you will want the acceleration, and while I don't use it when the Mrs. is in the car (she HATES it when I use it and don't warn her), I do enjoy being at a red light and then silently going 35MPH+ before I am through the intersection and I look back and everyone else is barely through the crosswalk. I often wonder what they think when my car leaves them as they are standing still, and I would love to see what that looks like from their point of view. All this written, I am not sure that I could ever drive a non-Ludicrous model. I'm not the guy switching lanes every 50 feet trying to pass everyone else, but I have definitely saved an hour driving because I leave the last light and drive under the next one in yellow - just saved 90 seconds!

The Ludicrous+ was a welcome surprise, but I haven't even used it. My son has, and said "it was faster," but I don't really care that much about it - Ludicrous is PLENTY good for me. When I get a newer model, it will be that much faster, and that will be that.

I just shake my head because I honestly feel that on a planetary scale, we have been wasting SO MUCH MONEY on gasoline cars for so long - Solar + EV is going to be saving us Trillions in a few decades. Thanks to Elon for pushing the auto industry over the EV line, and I am SUPER GLAD that I bought a Ludricrous model. I can't wait for the ranges to increase and the charging time to decrease because I am out of town right now, and I do miss my car desperately. I am driving a big V-8 and it is so LOUD and so SLOW. *cry*

I stay in ludicrous all the time. Every red light. You can still accelerate slowly no problem. Launching feels absolutely ridiculous and makes everyone go "holy sh t wtf" and laugh uncontrollably. It's not for everyone but I love it and am so glad I got ludicrous

• Love