TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

what does E mean on signal strength indicator?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by scottm, Feb 21, 2015.

1. scottm

scottm Active Member

I am away from my car manual at the moment... is there any mention of it in there? I've only noticed it of late, thinking it's related to energy saving mode I've been trying out lately..

anyway, when E is up I know its going to be a few minutes before anything 3g is going to work reliably, it seems

2. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

It means you're on "Edge", which shows you've got 2/3rds of 3/8s of diddly-squat in terms of cell coverage. Has nothing to do with the car's energy saving mode.

3. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I believe it means that you are out of range of the 3G network and are instead on AT&T's "Edge" network, which is very slow compared to 3G.

4. mibaro2

mibaro2 Member

I'll go with Scott and say it is related to Energy saving mode. 2 reasons:

1) I'll pull into my work parking, and have full 3G bars. Slacker and Nav still work. 8 hrs later, when I start the car, E shows up for the signal strength. (even though I am in 3G coverage area).
    2) The behaviour I described above stopped when I turned off energy saving mode.

5. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

It's edge. It's possible that when the car is in energy saving mode it falls back to edge to conserve energy. Try this: turn on always connected. I bet it stays in 3G.

6. scottm

scottm Active Member

Thought it might be that. Also my dash display is quick to power itself off after leaving the car and coming back... greeted with dark screen for a couple seconds, then a Tesla logo for a few more... and as I am pressing on the brakes to wake it up finally get the spinning speedometer in the ready to shift position... then I can go.

I think Tesla is getting more aggressive on power savings.. probably to combat the weak 12v battery design.

7. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

My kids call that the Extremely slow network..:)

8. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

The E stands for EDGE or Enhanced Data for GSM Evolution.

This is a legacy cellular data protocol, faster than GSM but slower than 3G. Sometimes it's referred to as "2.5G."

The car's cellular modem will drop back to EDGE when the car is in a weak AT&T signal area as 3G requires a stronger carrier signal than EDGE. It could also mean you are in an area with older tower equipment that doesn't support 3G, but there's nearly none of this left in the US. I'm not so sure about Canada.

While EDGE transmission uses less power than 3G, it's a difference measured in milliwatts and only significant on cell phones with tiny batteries measured in milliamp-hours. I can assure you that your car with a battery measured in killowatt-hours (a million times larger) is not dropping back to EDGE by choice to save power.

At various versions iOS and Android smartphones have shown the same thing on their cell status icons when in marginal coverage and dropping back to EDGE. For example:

http://www.imore.com/sites/imore.com/files/images/stories/2008/09/iphone_21_3g_edge_icons.jpg
    iphone_21_3g_edge_icons.jpg

9. Mark Petersen

Mark Petersen Model S EU P71

Just be happy that is not showing G (GPRS) as that's even slower :scared:

10. arg

arg Member

Evidently the programmers in California couldn't conceive of anything slower, since when connected to a GPRS network it still shows "E".

The network Tesla uses in the UK (O2) has limited 3G outside the cities, and their 2G network doesn't offer EDGE.

11. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

I always use Energy Saving mode and have never seen an E on the display as you describe. I am in an area of strong 3G and LTE coverage. Even when I'm in a bad reception area, I've never seen the display switch to E.

12. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

The E means the Edge network. Slower than 3G.

13. tomas

tomas Traded in 9 rep bars for M3, used to be somebody!

I wish there were an "asked and answered" flag for these question threads. Folks, this one has been definitively answered, but let's see if we can get another page! :biggrin:

14. mkjayakumar

mkjayakumar Active Member

E means Edge network

-:).

Can someone else also confirm that?

-:)