Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What does "...improve P85D performance at high speed..." mean?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed:) And that was my point. If you know this going in, especially coming from the cars we have/had, then you won't be disappointed. I do hope they tune it up casue I don't need the range:)
I understood your point, I was just being pedantic about the word lame - it is definitely relative; however I will probably be disappointed if nobody screams when I punch it at 60 mph so I hope they improve it too :smile:
i would also like the range to match the P85, unless I'm punching it in insane mode of course. A tall order I'm sure but I think Tesla will get there.

The P85 is really slow from 0-200 km/h (0-120mph) compared to other performance cars with about the same power. P85 uses 19 secs and Bmw m5 do it on 11.7 secs. I dont know the time for P85D but with so much power it should be able to do it on 11-12 secs.

Motortrend tested both P85 and P85D in 1/4 mile drag and the difference was 0,8sec in favor of P85D (115mph vs 110mph). As we already know the P85D is about 1 second faster in 0-60mph races so the P85D has to be the about the same speed in high speed acceleration. The big rear engine is the same in both cars.

Motortrend tested both P85 and P85D in 1/4 mile drag and the difference was 0,8sec in favor of P85D (115mph vs 110mph). As we already know the P85D is about 1 second faster in 0-60mph races so the P85D has to be the about the same speed in high speed acceleration. The big rear engine is the same in both cars.

This leads me to think we're in for a pleasant surprise when Tesla releases the performance improvement update. I'm guessing a significantly improved quarter mile time.

The P85 is really slow from 0-200 km/h (0-120mph) compared to other performance cars with about the same power. P85 uses 19 secs and Bmw m5 do it on 11.7 secs. I dont know the time for P85D but with so much power it should be able to do it on 11-12 secs.

There is a drag race between a Hellcat and a P85D where the Tesla runs a 1/4 mile in 11.6 seconds @ 114 mph, so the D is significantly faster the the P85. The link to the race is posted below:

Tesla Model S P85D Sets 1/4 Mile World Record While Challenger Hellcat Goes up in Smoke Drag Racing | StreetCarDrags.com

Dennis, very, very, very few folks give a flyin fidoo about the "highly unusable" 0-200 kph metric...most places do not have autobahns...this has been discussed many times here...

There is a drag race between a Hellcat and a P85D where the Tesla runs a 1/4 mile in 11.6 seconds @ 114 mph, so the D is significantly faster the the P85. The link to the race is posted below:

Tesla Model S P85D Sets 1/4 Mile World Record While Challenger Hellcat Goes up in Smoke Drag Racing | StreetCarDrags.com

You seriously think that this test is done right? The Hellcat uses 17,4 sec and does only 82mph for 1/4 mile? Even the P85 makes 12,4 sec and is 0,8 slower than the P85D.

With the same grip as P85D the Hellcat should be doing it in 10,8 and 126mph - SRT Hellcat Challenger 1/4 Mile 10.8 w/ Drag Radials - YouTube

Sure, since we're already into the calculation of small numbers. I saw that the P85D delivered a peak 1.29G of acceleration force during a 0-60 timing run. If the upcoming "power system" upgrade could sustain that force, it would result in a 0-60 time of 2.15 seconds. So I don't think that's going to happen.

But because I've never even seen 480kW in my P85D yet, even at WOT, then simply allowing the delivery of 515kW continuously would easily yield the 2.7s 0-60 times reportedly witnessed by some Tesla "insiders." When this happens in the wild, supercar owners everywhere will be infuriated, at least at first, but then will all have to own one.

The reason for the current delay may boil down to risk management. Every supercar and hypercar manufacturer knows that a certain percentage of idiots are going to total their cars shortly after buying them, simply because they do not know how to handle that much power. It may be a wise legal strategy on the part of Tesla to release the car at 80-85% power, do careful studies and analyses of crash rates, injuries, fatalities, etc., and be able to show data, years from now, that "due diligence" had been very carefully done prior to releasing the car at full strength. I see this as a fundamentally prudent and responsible strategy.

But, I also want more power, now, thank you.

Sure, since we're already into the calculation of small numbers. I saw that the P85D delivered a peak 1.29G of acceleration force during a 0-60 timing run. If the upcoming "power system" upgrade could sustain that force, it would result in a 0-60 time of 2.15 seconds. So I don't think that's going to happen.

But because I've never even seen 480kW in my P85D yet, even at WOT, then simply allowing the delivery of 515kW continuously would easily yield the 2.7s 0-60 times reportedly witnessed by some Tesla "insiders." When this happens in the wild, supercar owners everywhere will be infuriated, at least at first, but then will all have to own one.

The reason for the current delay may boil down to risk management. Every supercar and hypercar manufacturer knows that a certain percentage of idiots are going to total their cars shortly after buying them, simply because they do not know how to handle that much power. It may be a wise legal strategy on the part of Tesla to release the car at 80-85% power, do careful studies and analyses of crash rates, injuries, fatalities, etc., and be able to show data, years from now, that "due diligence" had been very carefully done prior to releasing the car at full strength. I see this as a fundamentally prudent and responsible strategy.

But, I also want more power, now, thank you.

It is interesting Tesla settled on 0-60mph of 3.2 seconds which ties it with the Mercedes CLS63 AMG. With MotorTrend's 3.1 seconds, the P85D just barely claims the throne for quickest accelerating production sedan. Seems intentional and makes me wonder what they're holding back. Also will be interesting to see how a fully software upgraded P85D holds up against the new Acura NSX. Both Tesla and Acura may be holding back specs waiting for the other to make the first move. A 2.7 second P85D would be a tremendous value against a $150,000 NSX.