Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What does it cost to use a supercharger for a Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got assigned my VIN on Thursday and the M3 will be my first EV. Starting to look at possible road trips for the summer. How much can I expect to pay at a supercharger for a 50% charge (in $CDN)? Would you normally charge it completely or 50% so it's enough to get you to the next supercharger? As I said, I'm new to all this.

Lots of good info on the Tesla supercharging site:
Supercharging
You may need to go to the Canada specific site if that doesn’t work for you.

Ballpark less than $10.

Generally you don’t supercharge more than 80% unless you need the extra range to get to your destination or to the next supercharger, as the last 20% can take as long as the first 80%. Look at the taper curve on the supercharging info pages.

Lots of good info on the Tesla supercharging site:
Supercharging
You may need to go to the Canada specific site if that doesn’t work for you.

Ballpark less than $10.

Generally you don’t supercharge more than 80% unless you need the extra range to get to your destination or to the next supercharger, as the last 20% can take as long as the first 80%. Look at the taper curve on the supercharging info pages.
Per the link posted by TexasEV, Ontario Superchargers are charged $0.40 over 60 kw/h and $0.20 under that. Average charge is 45-60 minutes so ballpark $9.00 to $24 for Ontario.

We've only charged our 3 once in 4 months, cost us under $4. OF COURSE, depends on how much you charge, but I am not in the habit of charging enough to get to the next supercharger. I charge enough to get home. Normally the 3 is not for long distance trips, so the 320 mile range is sufficient for most all daily driving, but we were doing a 500 mi RT, so we added 220+/- miles of charge, for 3.65 as I remember.

so the person who got their car delivered on May 14th (Steve) ended up the Supercharger. He charged from 80 km of range left up to 420 km. (increase of 340km) and he was charged $12.00

I was pleasantly surprised. I had anticipated $15-$20 for 400km of added range.

The thing to remember is that Electricity for Driving is a LOT less than buying GAS, unless your are traveling with an ELIO, but that will not happen in the near future.

Also, the Supercharger Network is NOT a profit center, so expect the cost at the various supercharger locations to be approximately what it cost at home for local drivers.

Reactions: MarcoRP
Not a fair assumption, because demand charges for commercial high power can be much higher than residential electric rates.

Sorry, but not so. Tesla may pay the demand charges, but the rate that they will charge Tesla cars that are not on "Free" plan are fixed, based on local utility rates that residential customers would pay. A few months ago Tesla updated these rates, and will update them again in the future, but EM has stated that the Supercharger Network IS NOT a profit center, meaning that it is a cost for Tesla service to customers.

I'm with TexasEV on this one. Assuming we take them at their word, that this is NOT a profit centre, the only explanation for the rates they are charging (at least in my home state of WA, as one example) is the demand charges they are incurring.

Maybe they are taking advantage of the SUPER LOW Washington rates to help make up for the SUPER HIGH rates in southern California. What is charged here is less than the residential rate. At least it was prior to the price increase. I did not pay that much attention as I get it free, but do not use local Supercharger, except to be able to count it as "Superchargers Visited". :)

However, our next trip (in 5 weeks) will allow us to double our list of locations, from 81 to 162 (unless we change our trip). We plan to leave Georgia on I-95 south and hit all the east coast locations down to Key West, then up the west coast. My wife has a brother in Key West so wants to visit, but is not looking forward to all those extra miles on a Coast-to-Coast trip.

She is now thinking that after visiting my family in south Georgia we head west again. I am playing the guilt trip on her (she has not seen her older brother in a few years) so we can visit all Florida locations. After all, I will be doing most of the driving. After about 11 p.m. she sleeps all night until sun-up when I finally get to sleep. Besides, I love driving through the night. As long as I can find a motel every other night I am good with just naps while trading off during the day.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I'm with TexasEV on this one. Assuming we take them at their word, that this is NOT a profit centre, the only explanation for the rates they are charging (at least in my home state of WA, as one example) is the demand charges they are incurring.
Also the site costs (hardware, servicing, leasing or other agreement for use of the spaces etc).

Reactions: AdamMacDon
That's not bad at all.

$12 for 340 kms of range equates to about $12 for 50 kwh of energy...which translates to 24cents / kwh.

Seems a bit of a premium.

Including all delivery/fee/regulatory charegs I on average pay about 12.5 c/kwh at home all in, which is about 70% off peak.

If I was 100% on peak I'd be at 17.2 c/kwh

This rate is about 85% more than I pay on average for electricity at home, and about 33% more than someone charging at home 100% on peak.

Convenience is impossible to put a price on though. It makes the model 3 a car you can actually use and count in, which is awesome. And relative to the rest of the EV world, it's miles better than any other solution out there both in terms of cost/speed/availability/convenience (in Southern Ontario anyway). I'm just a bit biased being a Model S owner with free supercharging.