TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What does it feel like to never go to a gas station again...

Discussion in 'Model S' started by RainmakerJL, Nov 3, 2013.

1. RainmakerJL

RainmakerJL Member

Putting the saved money aside... What does it feel like to just never have to go to a gas station. To cut that entire part of your weekly/daily schedule loose? Where do you buy your slim jims and big gulps? Joking aside I am dead serious. Money aside, the convenience of never having to worry about gassing up is a strong motivator for getting this car...

2. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

Haven't been to one since February and it's awesome. I would always wait to the last possible moment to fill up and so would frequently have range anxiety, ironically enough.

3. Jeeps17

Jeeps17 Cath Jockey in a P85

After eight months, the only time I ever go to a gas station is to use their touchless car wash.

It never gets old to watch people lined up waiting to pump when the price of gas goes up.

4. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

It is something I knew I would enjoy, but wasn't prepared for how much.
    I always use to have to try to remember how much gas was left and add that into my schedule. It was worse when I was working. If I was suited up, for a meeting or such, I didn't dare stop for gas.

And of course, I always hated pumping gas in blizzards.

So much more convenient now to refuel at home rather than while I am traveling somewhere!

5. Shumdit

Shumdit Member

It's sort of odd for me too. The weird thing is I am much more conscious of when I pull in to get a drink at a C-store (and as a result I have figured out I do that too often also). I also oddly still look at fuel prices on the roadside signs like I always did before. I am a little off in the head.

6. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I do that too. It's hard to break decades of habit.

7. Zextraterrestrial

I have gone to Costco 2 times on my own since last December for my wifes car and it sucked. The lines were short but standing there for a few minutes in the cold just bites.
    warm fully charged car in the morning is wonderful

8. sp4rk

sp4rk Banned

FREEDOM.

I had to go a Petrol station twice in the UK during a recent visit and fill my car with Diesel.
    DISGUSTING!
    The noise. The smell. The price (£1.40 a liter / $9.50 gallon? / fill up over $100.)
    Unless a rental car situation, never again. And I do mean never.

Been 18 months of freedom (Leaf, then Model S.)

9. dsmith2189

dsmith2189 Active Member

I thought I was loosing weight, I just didn't know how. Now I know, no more slim jims nor Big Gulps.:rolleyes:
    I was walking past the valet station in a parking garage the other day and was surprised that I could smell the oil and gas from the ICE cars being parked by the valet. It was so strong I don't know how I didn't notice it before.:scared:

10. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

This is by far one of the greatest features of the car. I didn't realize how great it would be to never worry about having to go fill up. People say that you have range anxiety with electric cars, but I see it as the opposite - I had far more anxiety with my ICE when that fuel light would turn on and I didn't have convenient gas station near by or just didn't have the time to stop between rushing kids from point A to point B. Since I got my MS almost 3 months ago, I've only been to a gas station once because my wife asked me to take her ICE to get it filled up. Once Gen III is out, that problem will be solved as well.

11. Kaivball

Kaivball Member

Well, since I still have five other cars I still tend to go there...

:)

12. Denarius

Denarius Active Member

Get used to having a dirty windshield. ;) Seriously though, I had to put cleaner in my garage by the car so I remember to clean it.

13. mitch672

mitch672 Active Member

Me too. I watch the price of gasoline a well, I have to buy a gallon or two a year for the riding lawn mower and the snow thrower :)

P.S. I discovered on Wednesday and Sunday, they sell the car washes for 1/2 price as well :)

Mitch

14. paulkva

paulkva Member

Haha, I've had the same problem with a dirty windshield! I did go to a gas station once with my Model S, right after I bought it, for the VA state inspection. I felt SO out of place.

Just today, driving to my brother-in-law's house, we passed an area with several gas stations, and the kids started asking, "Ewww, what's that smell?"

My wife does give me a hard time, though, because gas prices around us have dropped at least 10% in the past couple months. But frankly, gas could drop to $1/gallon and I'd still prefer a Tesla for the convenience, cleanliness, and performance.

15. ausdma

ausdma Member

I don't have my car yet, but I've actually worried about this one. I'm somewhat focused on keeping my windshield as clean as I can and I was wondering how I will deal it with both around town and on the road. Can put one in the garage but what about the road trips I take every month or so?

16. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Active Member

It is freeing! I hated stopping for gas, so I'd put it off until I had no choice. I've been free of that chore since May! I haven't even stopped at one for a drink, I always carry a full bottle of water with me when I get in the car.

17. Denarius

Denarius Active Member

On road trips I've used the gas stations cleaners. I go inside and get a drink or something to "compensate" them.

18. Barry

Barry Member

Don't you still have to put air in the tires from time to time? Where do you do that?

19. dflye

dflye S Sig Perf 414, VIN 814

I have a compressor at home to add air as needed (which has been extremely rare in the 25k over 12 months of my ownership).

Main reason I stop at gas stations these days: They are everywhere along the routes I take on moderate length road trips… so they have beverages, snacks and restrooms. Once the SC network is more comprehensively rolled out for the east coast, I hopefully will be frequenting vendors with similar offerings near SCs.

20. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Second the at home. Unless the gas station is very close to your house, you're not inflating at cold pressures and so are getting an inaccurate inflation.