Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What does it take to get a Model 3 - aside from waiting and waiting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I cant speak for anyone else, but for me personally, I would never do business with a company that I disliked as much as it appears @jonquiljo dislikes tesla. If I felt like you obviously feel, I would vote with my wallet and go elsewhere, regardless of how good the product was.

As you mentioned (and agreed with me) in another thread. Its "just a car". Why you are putting yourself through something that is obviously stressing you (enough to make 500+ posts that basically are talking about how much you dislike the process, (in a roughly 6-7 week period), I simply dont understand. I enjoy the car, but not enough to dislike the company as much as you do.

As I said before (and you somewhat flamed me for) your desires and Teslas mode of doing business do not align. Why not cancel your order and pick up a car off a lot somewhere and be done with it (honest question)? Nothing is worth the amount of stress you appear to be experiencing from the multitude of posts you make on this topic.

No one will get that far yet. I think they really don't know, are dreading the December rush, and have lots of people like me dreading it also.

I had thought a few weeks ago that Tesla wouldn't go ahead and squish a bulk of US orders into the latter half of December. But, as it turns out, they really are going to try this.
They knew for a long time. SA told me they were sorry the website didn’t update on October 1st because they knew already

• Informative
Reactions: Sherlo and tren01t
I cant speak for anyone else, but for me personally, I would never do business with a company that I disliked as much as it appears @jonquiljo dislikes tesla. If I felt like you obviously feel, I would vote with my wallet and go elsewhere, regardless of how good the product was.

As you mentioned (and agreed with me) in another thread. Its "just a car". Why you are putting yourself through something that is obviously stressing you (enough to make 500+ posts that basically are talking about how much you dislike the process, (in a roughly 6-7 week period), I simply dont understand. I enjoy the car, but not enough to dislike the company as much as you do.

As I said before (and you somewhat flamed me for) your desires and Teslas mode of doing business do not align. Why not cancel your order and pick up a car off a lot somewhere and be done with it (honest question)? Nothing is worth the amount of stress you appear to be experiencing from the multitude of posts you make on this topic.

What I can’t figure out (not trying to start a flame war, sincere question) is where all the frustration is coming from. Looking back at his early posts, @jonquiljo clearly knew back in October (right after his 2nd order in mid Oct) that the Tesla site wasn’t reporting an accurate estimate 2-3 weeks.

Perhaps the “mistake” Tesla made was actually having a car within a few days of the Oct 1 order and not holding it for longer than two days. Irony alert — one of the reasons why Tesla actually had that M3 available so quickly is that some other customer declined delivery or couldn’t pick up during Tesla’s requested 2 day time frame. Then Tesla pleasantly surprised another customer who could take delivery (within a 2 day window) and Tesla gains a happy M3 owner.

From my experience, there’s a ton of stress involved when a spouse has major surgery. Hopefully in a couple months, after a successful surgery and a shiny new M3, @jonquiljo will have a different perspective.

Reactions: tren01t
I predict that Tesla will have an abundance of inventory closing out Q4 and getting a Tesla prior to year end is not going to be a problem. Tesla had a substantial amount of inventory of Model 3’s ending 2018. At one point people wondered how they were going to sell them all off. This is just a weird time right now. The combination of all orders going overseas and the final phase out of a tax credit have created a temporary shortage. This will pass and be forgotten within a few weeks.

Reactions: tren01t and rtshefe
to all those folks who keep on harpin on OP to about his complaining about tesla .. why do you keep on reading his posts and making the same comments about him going to another company or to stop complaining? ..

OP is correct that Tesla is a deeply flawed company when it comes to how they treat their customers and their delivery experience (everything from their lackluster track record in quality control, to scheduling, etc).. and its his right to complain ..

lets face it customer happiness is not the #1 goal at Tesla. (i think the #1 goal is making investors happy and elon's misguided war with tesla shorts) ..

the wave of shoppers who are coming to tesla now is very different that the folks who waited 2+ years for the model 3 a little while ago, the customers coming now expect a higher level of competence, and tesla will either get this right .. or loose their advantage over time . -- i for one hope they figure it out and succeed since i am buying one of their cars and want them to be around to help me keep it running for many years.

When did you re-order?

I did not have to "reorder". My original order stands. What happened with me was a clear case of poor communication by the sales guy who sold me the car in the Palo Alto showroom. I did the test drive but wanted to go home and think about it. He pushed me for a commitment by waiving the 2 year free supercharging incentive. So i did it. BUT he never made it crystal clear that I HAD TO take delivery by September 30th. He just said it typically takes 2 weeks to get a car and so I figured I had a week to kill. I ordered it on Sept 19th, a Thursday, and that Monday left on a backpacking trip to Mount Whitney where I was out of contact through Friday. On Saturday I finally spoke with the delivery guys who had been trying to contact me and learned that my VIN was lost. From that point on I was told it would only be another day or two to get a car, then a week, then two weeks, then 2 months etc... And of course, no 2 years of free supercharging.

What I wonder is if you can have someone (by any means) check out and pick up the vehicle for you? I suspect that it isn't possible. You can probably complete all transactions with Tesla via a proxy (POA, something similar), but I suspect that the DMV wants you to fill out their paperwork directly.

If Tesla would give some notice of cars to be picked up and they held them longer than 2 days max - I wouldn't be so annoyed. Lots of people have busy schedules, and while the "new" delivery appointments are supposedly 15 minutes, you will kill the better part of a day getting there, and waiting amidst the enormous crowds. It may be so overbooked that people show up one day, never get to pick up their car - and are told to come back another day.

See - it has nothing to do with the wait - it's losing the car if you can't get to pick it up quickly. As far as I know, we may get 24 hours to pick up this quarter. That's what I object to.

to all those folks who keep on harpin on OP to about his complaining about tesla .. why do you keep on reading his posts and making the same comments about him going to another company or to stop complaining? ..

It’s simple, posting 600+ times in 2 months basically whining the whole time is called trolling/spam. Most people are sympathetic in the beginning. But over time, it gets old and draining. OP needs to wait like everyone else. Or, if he’s that miserable, let his money do the talking and buy another brand. There’s dozens of other things he can be doing with his anxiety/frustration energy than posting constantly the SAME thing.

I’m actually surprised the mods still allow him to post, tbh.

It’s simple, posting 600+ times in 2 months basically whining the whole time is called trolling/spam. Most people are sympathetic in the beginning. But over time, it gets old and draining. OP needs to wait like everyone else. Or, if he’s that miserable, let his money do the talking and buy another brand. There’s dozens of other things he can be doing with his anxiety/frustration energy than posting constantly the SAME thing.

I’m actually surprised the mods still allow him to post, tbh.

but you dont have to read his posts, or reply to his comments. wouldn't that be simpler?

I was advised by the Tesla representative in Fremont delivery center that it would be much faster to have the car delivered to me at my home then for me to pick it up there. I know they don’t do home deliveries everywhere but if you are in the home delivery region, then that would be your best option.

I strongly caution anyone who is thinking about doing a home delivery to think twice. It’s just a bad idea. You want to go to their delivery center, thoroughly inspect the car prior to handing Tesla any money, and discuss any concerns you have with the delivery center personnel before taking delivery of the car. If the car shows up in perfect condition at your home it will all be fine. But if it has any issues you will be left to decide whether to accept or reject the car while the Tesla guy who shows up with your car is just a driver who can’t discuss any concerns you have and already has an Uber car waiting to take him back to Tesla for his next delivery.

It’s just a bad situation that’s easily avoidable. Just say no to home delivery. You will regret it. Read the posts of all the frustrated owners who took home delivery and then had to chase after Tesla to fix things after they accepted the car.

I was advised by the Tesla representative in Fremont delivery center that it would be much faster to have the car delivered to me at my home then for me to pick it up there. I know they don’t do home deliveries everywhere but if you are in the home delivery region, then that would be your best option.

Not doubting the rep. told you that , but this is a bit hard to believe. An SA told me cars destined for the Fremont delivery hub are literally driven across the freeway from the plant, about 2 miles.