Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What does live traffic visualization look like?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently subscribed to premium connectivity but I'm not seeing anything different in my navigation that may resemble "live traffic visualization". I have all the other features like music streaming and web browsing but my navigation is unchanged. I was expecting something like red lines for heavy traffic or some other traffic indicator.

Several times I've compared it to GMaps and it always plots the shortest distance route rather than the shortest time route even when there is more than 10 minute difference.

Does anyone have a screen shot of "live traffic visualization" as a reference?

Thanks.

You need to tap on the map screen. On the far right 3 symbols for map options will appear. Make sure the stop light symbol is selected. That is the live traffic button.

Thank you, I will try that on my drive home.

Like the poster above said. It basically puts orange and red lines on the map in traffic areas just like google maps. They stay blank if traffic is fine. My kids like to ask what all the lava is on the map and I just tell them driving in LA is hell.

I don't envy your LA drive Minneapolis is pretty tame unless it snows.

It may be because of latency. The data used and shown are not real-time. I've had occasion to watch the interesting pattern a few times of a highway becoming congested, showing red or black on Google Maps, watching the traffic dissolve away as everyone either diverts away or selects an alternate route, opening up the highway again, which eventually goes green on Google Maps, causing everyone to jump back on and jam the highway again.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

It may be because of latency. The data used and shown are not real-time. I've had occasion to watch the interesting pattern a few times of a highway becoming congested, showing red or black on Google Maps, watching the traffic dissolve away as everyone either diverts away or selects an alternate route, opening up the highway again, which eventually goes green on Google Maps, causing everyone to jump back on and jam the highway again.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Man says he caused fake traffic jams on Google Maps with 99 phones

Lather, rinse, repeat.
Nope I’m not talking about crowded highways. I mean side streets and other less traveled roads that don’t ever have the kind of congestion it’s showing. Not complaining. More just curious where they are pulling that data from since Waze tends to be quite accurate.

A0vWp7m.jpg

Here's one I prepared earlier...

I don't know about you all, but mine is rarely correct. It consistently shows red in areas where there is very little traffic.

Agreed. Surface streets show red at stop lights and stop signs even with no traffic. I’ve found it to be pretty spot on with highway traffic though, in small mini jams (in the Northeast) the red line has started and stopped nearly exactly at the same spot that traffic visualization said it would.

I recently subscribed to premium connectivity but I'm not seeing anything different in my navigation that may resemble "live traffic visualization". I have all the other features like music streaming and web browsing but my navigation is unchanged. I was expecting something like red lines for heavy traffic or some other traffic indicator.

Several times I've compared it to GMaps and it always plots the shortest distance route rather than the shortest time route even when there is more than 10 minute difference.

Does anyone have a screen shot of "live traffic visualization" as a reference?

Thanks.
Do we not have premium connectivity for 1st year upon purchasing in Tesla?

Do we not have premium connectivity for 1st year upon purchasing in Tesla?

Depends on the model 3 you are talking about. LR/ P come with one year, SR+ comes with 30 days I believe. The thread you bumped to ask this question is several months old at this point, and the visualizations are something that tesla tweaks, so not sure what the reason behind your post is.