Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Does 'Not Very Adventurous' Mean?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ryanjm

Tesla Podcast Host
Oct 10, 2009
San Francisco, CA
As someone who's literally been waiting and planning for YEARS to get a Model 3 signature as soon as they're available (as I can't afford a nicely equipped Model S), I was thrown for a loop when hearing about Elon refer to the Model 3 hitting in the second half of 2017 as a less "adventurous" car, and then they'd follow up with something more adventurous later.

What does this mean? Is this only referring to styling? Is he talking about features? AWD? Something else?

I am the kind of person that can really only afford a new car every decade or so, and therefore the last thing I want is to get the "just ship it" version of Model 3, only for it to be completely blown out of the water a short time later by the "adventurous" version.

And yes, I realize that all cars -- including the Model S -- can evolve quickly, but for Elon to come out and say something like this TWO YEARS before Model 3 even releases leads me to worry about just how good of a Model 3 we're going to get right out of the gate.

Am I crazy here?

horses-car-inline-660x449.jpg

It means more conventional styling on the liftback sedan and conventional use of the space in a three box design like Model S.

And more daring styling on the CUV variant which will allow much better and unconventional use of interior volume more like Model X with falcon wing doors. .

I think the doors on the X are a case in point. They are an "adventurous" feature that resulting in some schedule risk (and actual schedule slippage). They don't want to take the same schedule risk with design decisions on the 3, so it will look like a "car" without any new high-concept ideas like being able to fold in half to park or some such. This is a very good decision on their part. This isn't the right product for them to try to completely redefine what a car does or looks like. It will be interesting to see what they have in mind as the future unfolds.

I think the doors on the X are a case in point. They are an "adventurous" feature that resulting in some schedule risk (and actual schedule slippage). They don't want to take the same schedule risk with design decisions on the 3, so it will look like a "car" without any new high-concept ideas like being able to fold in half to park or some such. This is a very good decision on their part. This isn't the right product for them to try to completely redefine what a car does or looks like. It will be interesting to see what they have in mind as the future unfolds.
This is my thinking, too. I think under the circumstances what Elon is really trying to say is something like "we're using technology and components that we have lots of experience with, and so you should believe this production schedule despite our history of delays with new products that had challenging new features on them."It doesn't mean it won't be a great car, or that it won't push the envelope as a total package - just that they don't plan to introduce something completely different (which fits with the 'not a weird-mobile' comments from previous interviews.) Assuming this interpretation is true, it might also mean fewer growing pains for the new model and a faster production ramp.Walter

If "adventurous" means retractable door handles, Falcon doors, or geolocation-based automatic ride height adjustment, then by all means, let the Model 3 be less adventurous. For me those are nothing more than gimmicks that add weight/cost. I just want it to go "bang" every time I pull the trigger, so to speak.

In many consumer items, mass market not = adventurous. My guess is if we looked at all variants of BMW 3 series, the biggest sellers are the less "adventurous" models. Price point very important especially with tax credits no longer available in 2H2017.

If "adventurous" means retractable door handles, Falcon doors, or geolocation-based automatic ride height adjustment, then by all means, let the Model 3 be less adventurous. For me those are nothing more than gimmicks that add weight/cost. I just want it to go "bang" every time I pull the trigger, so to speak.

I'm inclined to agree. I know they won't offer it but I'd love to see a bare bones model with their most powerful motor/inverter combo.

The Model 3 needs to appeal to a wide consumer base. That means you can't do anything too polarizing that will alienate a large segment of buyers. It can still look great but as others have mentioned it won't have ejection seats, Kevlar ragtop, or flat aerodynamic wheel covers. It's got be something that people are used to but look really good. Trust Franz to do a good job with it. We'll get to see a concept a year ahead at least to give you a good idea whether you will like it or not.

Design of the car version will be a nice small midsize.

Not surprised at not adventurous. Mr Musk sets parameters based on what he considers important. In this case cost and time to market and scaling will be more important. If they have the cell characteristics agreed with Panasonic, they'll have battery characteristics, Musk will have said "0-60 in max xs", and the engineers and production can be at work building around it figuring out how to make it for$x base. Will be exciting to see what they can achieve with that different focus.