Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Does 'Not Very Adventurous' Mean?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can rest sure that the base Model 3 will be best in class and will look like a Tesla = head turner!

I do think we will see followup 2018-2020 performance versions including a new 900+ HP super car....can't wait for that one!

My interpretation wasn't that it wouldn't be adventurous from a styling standpoint, although I'm sure it'll still be a distinctive and attractive much like the S is even its not really that adventurous. My interpretation was that he meant not from a styling standpoint but a technology and design standpoint. The Model S had a lot of firsts that delayed production, and the X's Falcon Wing doors, dual motor AWD (I assume), and whatever other secret features we don't know about has delayed its production significantly. I expect everything about the 3 except the price to be evolutionary, not revolutionary.

The powertrain, charging, and battery systems will be the same or evolutions of their those in the S and X, there won't be any crazy doors, four wheel in hub motors, quick swap aluminum air batteries, ect. They won't risk the car being delayed by 16 months because they wanted a roof that rolls back like a sardine can or any other crazy first.

The powertrain, charging, and battery systems will be the same or evolutions of their those in the S and X, there won't be any crazy doors, four wheel in hub motors, quick swap aluminum air batteries, ect. They won't risk the car being delayed by 16 months because they wanted a roof that rolls back like a sardine can or any other crazy first.

No full body massage chair built in? :cursing: Disappointed!!

I am cancelling my order! .... :tongue:

A smaller Model S would be great for me, maybe not so great for taller people.
The unadventurous first model could be front wheel drive using the front drive unit from the 85D perhaps or rear wheel drive, either way would be fine.
Later performance versions might go as far as an inboard drive motor for each wheel with the sort of sophisticated torque vectoring that Tesla has the engineering talent to really nail.
For me it just needs to be a genuine 200 mile range (or more) vehicle that does not look like a horse's rear end. I was glad when Mr. Musk said it would not be adventurous initially, that's the car I want.
The Model S is no doubt great on the wide roads of North America but in much of the rest of the globe it is really too big. Bring on the Model 3.

I hope they keep the fun to drive factor. In production powertrains currently are 221 hp front wheel drive, 380 and 470 hp rear drive. While a 30% weight reduction would allow the 221 hp to still be somewhat sporty, the fun to drive factor would be enhanced with 380 hp.

At 4800 lbs in the S, 380 hp should produce a 14.3 ET in the 1/4 mile. A 30% weight reduction with the 380 hp gets you in the fun factor of a 12.5 ET.
However, it they decide on the 221 hp FWD, that would be a 15.0 ET, boring. I prefer the 380 hp standard, 470 hp optional for a 11.7 second 1/4 mile blast.

Being a gearhead for 45 years I would spend $75K for a Model 3 that had the dual motor 691 hp before I would buy a 380 hp Model S for the same price. A 10.3 ET is intoxicating.

Last edited:
I'm pretty boring. I just want efficient transportation and decent acceleration for pulling into traffic. 221 hp would be plenty sporty for the base model, and there can be an AWD insane version.

From your keyboard to Elon's eyeballs, I hope.

The car in my avatar has had 3 different engines over time, and since it only weighs 1790 lbs, good scoot per hp.
320 hp 11.3 ET
386 hp 10.8 ET
526 hp 9.7 ET

To have a Model 3 turn 10.3 ET would be a real hoot, and I would pay $30K more over a base 221 hp model. Wouldn't be the first time I ponied up for added performance in a given model. A Caddy CTS is around $35K but the CTS-V is $70K, I opted for the V. Back in 1982 a Datsun 280Z was $15K and the 280Z Turbo was $20K and again I went with the Turbo.

We all know Elon reads a lot, just maybe he checks in on the Model 3 topic here to see what folks are hoping for, so I had to state my case and hope that my dream car becomes a production possibility. My Track-T does this performance, but my aging body wants this level of performance in something civilized, comfortable, and electric. Besides, think of the exposure a low 10 second ET electric car would generate among the automotive press? They would go nuts, and Elon could postpone even longer a advertising budget.

Last edited:
An AWD version with two 221 hp motors would probably be plenty sporty and would be perfect for all driving conditions. Thats what I want in a hatchback form factor. That just sounds perfect to me.

442 hp in a Model 3 that I hope they keep the weight down to 3250 lbs should produce a 11.9 in the 1/4 mile, and as you said, perfect. Listen up Elon, your Model 3 customers are speaking.

I think we need to remember that the Model 3 is supposed to be a more affordable mass market vehicle. Sure there will be higher performance versions, but the Model 3 customers want a decent EV with good range at a reasonable price. The percentage of car buyers who care at all about 1/4 mile times is tiny.

0~60 is a much better yardstick for an electric with its full torque at launch rpm, I was just using a program that spits out 1/4 mile times after you input weight and hp.

So I found a 0~60 calculator

A 3250 lb Model 3 with 221 hp 6.4 seconds
442 hp 3.8 seconds
691 hp 2.7 seconds.....I want this one and willing to pay twice the base price.

Tesla was able to wake up the public to the performance of electric cars. I just hope they stay the leader, and by doing so produce a performance smaller car for my tastes.

That car may have to wait for their next generation Roadster, which may be based on the Model 3 platform.

I'll wait. Just found out today that the 2016 Cadillac CTS-V will be only offered as a sedan with a 8 speed auto. I purchased the 2011 CTS-V coupe with the stick, hoping the low production numbers with the stick (194 for 2011) would help with it being a future collectible. Before I bought it I did remember a article from Jay Leno about his predictions on future collectibles........

"Another one to watch will be the most recent version of the Cadillac CTS-V with a six-speed standard. In the future, the manual gearbox will almost become a curiosity. People who know how to shift one properly will be seen as skilled individuals who can really drive an old car. In 2025 they'll say, "You can drive a 2009 556-hp Cadillac stick?" By then, everything will be some version of a double-clutch, automatic-synchro, paddle-shifter ... The fact that you might have one of those anachronisms, a Cadillac with a stick--that'll seem unbelievable." from this article in April 2009. Jay Leno Predicts Future Collectible and Classic Cars

Funny thing is I bought it to be a good son to my dad. I retired early to care for him and my current stable of rides were too hard for him to get in and out of, so picked up the V coupe with the hopes that Jay Leno would be right in this prediction.

I have had my 2011 almost 4 years and it has never been driven in the rain or snow and has only been dusted, never washed. The big thing is I've only driven it on trips, so no commute miles, and only 2000 miles per year average. When it is 25 years old it should be what is called "pristine survivor" at 50K original miles and only 194 2011 sticks produced.

Thanks dad
DSC004951014x760.jpg

Are you aware of the Rimac? http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/6047-Rimac-Automobili-Concept_One Four motor AWD 1000+ HP. Pricey though, around $900K I think.

Out of my price range by a factor of 10. I really hope Tesla will keep performance as their identifier in the BEV segment. Elon met his own needs with the design of the P85D, performance of his F1 that he totaled without insurance and the seating because he is the father of both twins and triplets.

I think we need to remember that the Model 3 is supposed to be a more affordable mass market vehicle. Sure there will be higher performance versions, but the Model 3 customers want a decent EV with good range at a reasonable price. The percentage of car buyers who care at all about 1/4 mile times is tiny.

I agree I want it to be affordable. I do however feel that two 221 hp motors would lead to better efficiency and more regen. Also a model 3D version would lead to a greater appeal in areas that deal with snow and ice. I would assume this would immediately kill the sales of the BMW awd active tourer hybrid as well as the mini plug in countryman before they really take off.

0~60 is a much better yardstick for an electric with its full torque at launch rpm, I was just using a program that spits out 1/4 mile times after you input weight and hp.

So I found a 0~60 calculator

A 3250 lb Model 3 with 221 hp 6.4 seconds
442 hp 3.8 seconds
691 hp 2.7 seconds.....I want this one and willing to pay twice the base price.

Tesla was able to wake up the public to the performance of electric cars. I just hope they stay the leader, and by doing so produce a performance smaller car for my tastes.

I would be happy with a 0-60 time of 6.4 sec. Also, it's important to note that due to the abundance of torque in EVs, they often feel considerably quicker than they actually are. If an upgrade to get 5 second 0-60 performance was a reasonable upgrade (Say $5,000) I might go for it, but if the "base" Model 3 will be 221 hp, 6.4 0-60, I'd be happy with that.