Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Does 'Not Very Adventurous' Mean?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't see there being any danger that less adventurous will in any way equate to boring. That's just now how Elon Musk rolls.

For me, it needs to look good (no doubt it will stand out in a crowd, much like the Model S), it needs the equivalent of the Model S tech package, needs the winter package option, needs dual motors, and needs awesome range.

Driving my Model S 60 (no tech package) in Massachusetts in the second coldest month on record, and the second snowiest winter on record, has made me wish for the convenience of the tech package and the benefits of dual motors and heated wipers, and made my kids wish for the heated rear seats. It's nice being able to raise the suspension to go over ice balls that cars and plows have left behind, but most cars don't have that and I don't think it's a must have -- just a nice to have.

I can't imagine that Tesla would release only a single version of the Model 3. No doubt they'd have at least single and dual motor versions, and they will have multiple options to pimp it out and draw some more cash from our wallets.

My point is that I see these things as must-be-available options, no matter how non-adventurous the Model 3 ultimately is. And since these are already proven technologies in the Model S, I don't think it unlikely they will be available.

Last edited:
Not very adventurous in the context of Musk's statement almost certainly means low-risk. There will be no features that require extra engineering development, or that stretch Tesla's current knowledge base very far. I don't think it was a comment on styling -- keep in mind Musk has an engineer's mindset. I suspect the vehicle will bear a family resemblance to the S, and use a primarily high-strength steel structure with aluminum, magnesium, and composite bolt-ons where possible. It will not surprise a current Tesla owner.
The adventurous vehicle probably is an exercise that breaks away from conventional automotive design and packaging to achieve lower weight and drag, and will come later, probably as a spin-off on the then existing 3 platform.

0~60 is a much better yardstick for an electric with its full torque at launch rpm, I was just using a program that spits out 1/4 mile times after you input weight and hp.

So I found a 0~60 calculator

A 3250 lb Model 3 with 221 hp 6.4 seconds
442 hp 3.8 seconds
691 hp 2.7 seconds.....I want this one and willing to pay twice the base price.

Tesla was able to wake up the public to the performance of electric cars. I just hope they stay the leader, and by doing so produce a performance smaller car for my tastes.

That 0-60 calculator likely allows for normal shift patterns and power/torque ramp up. With no shifting and instant torque, I believe you will see drastic increases in performance from those listed in the calculator.

0~60 is a much better yardstick for an electric with its full torque at launch rpm, I was just using a program that spits out 1/4 mile times after you input weight and hp.

So I found a 0~60 calculator

A 3250 lb Model 3 with 221 hp 6.4 seconds
442 hp 3.8 seconds
691 hp 2.7 seconds.....I want this one and willing to pay twice the base price.

Tesla was able to wake up the public to the performance of electric cars. I just hope they stay the leader, and by doing so produce a performance smaller car for my tastes.

A 3250 curb weight for the Model 3 is highly optimistic, IMHO. I'm thinking it's going to be more around 3500-3700.

As someone who doesn't have an EV yet, all I need is the basic form of the car. I'm looking for a nice look and Tesla's battery pack/software design skills. I want to know im buying a long lasting EV compared to a LEAF or Bolt or whatever Ford is going to come out with.

On the previous conference call 3rd qtr (about 3 months before this conference call where he made this quote), half talking too himself Elon said they're deciding on if they want to be cautious or adventurous with 3. I took this to mean that the Falcon wing doors had caused some serious practical headaches. Also it was how futuristic they wanted to go on the design. I think they don't want to go too crazy. I suspect the Model 3 to be stylistically similar to the Model S, but smaller, a bit narrower, a bit shorter, same height.
On the conference call (after probably 2 months of X headache, delays, a falling share price, the decisions been made - cautious!!!!).
Have a 50kw pack (entry level). This is their 35k car. Then you can add on bigger tyres, tech packages, sunroof, metalic paints, dual motor (for a tiny Frunk), 75kw pack (for a smaller boot / frunk), bigger motor... of course in the first 6 months they'll only be selling the P / Signature version at circa $55k. Then the 75kw one, then 6 months later the 60kw one (to keep the $35k promise). Tesla (like most automakers) make most profit from the extras. After all adding the tech package is probably $300 for parts and time and labour, but sold for nearly $4000. But I wouldn't be surprised if the car is $40k base (35k inflation adjusted) and available late 2017 at the earliest.... Model X was postponed indefinately (was supposed to be 1 year after S and now delayed twice since being re-announced).