TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

What does PuP actually provide?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Paladin732, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Paladin732

Paladin732 Member

I'd like to understand what is actually included as standard without purchasing PuP:

PuP currently includes:

• BioWeapon Defense Mode
      • Unobtainable without PuP at the moment
    • CarbonFiber Filters
      • Sounds like this is part of BioWeapon mode?
      • What are the standard Air Filters?
    • Dynamic LED Turning Lights
      • How much of a difference do these make at night? I've had cars with these, and they don't seem to make a big deal
      • Our S with PuP doesn't seem to do anything major with turns at night
    • LED Fog Lights
      • No Fog Lights without PuP?
    • Leather Arm Rests, Steering Wheel, Lower Dashboard
      • What material are they otherwise?
      • My understanding is this does not apply for White, as its the same both with and without PuP?
    • Soft LED Ambient Lighting
      • Is there no footwell or any ambient lighting at night without this package?
    • Lighted Door Handles
      • No Light on handles without package?
    • Phone Dock
      • This one is just strange to list out. Its a $30 item.
    Can anyone answer the bullet points and verify them for me?

I'm trying to determine if its worth getting it, or I should just save the $3,500. It seems to be a huge ripoff on the S, with liftgate standard, especially if getting White seats.

2. Cricket88

Cricket88 Member

• What are the standard Air Filters?
    Standard Air filters are paper elements and are much smaller in size.
    • Dynamic LED Turning Lights
      • How much of a difference do these make at night? I've had cars with these, and they don't seem to make a big deal
      • Our S with PuP doesn't seem to do anything major with turns at night
    My MS75 without PUP LED headlights were noticeably dimmer with patchy uneven coverage in my hillside neighborhood. My P100D with PUP lights up our dim streets better (not considerably, but noticeably). The "cornering lights" on the fog are noticeable when very dark, and the headlight dynamic leds do enhance the corners.

Physically, they look different as well. On the headlights without PuP, the top portion is just a chrome blank whereas the PuP Headlights have visible reflectors to additional LEDs.
    • LED Fog Lights
      • No Fog Lights without PuP?
    Correct, no fog lights, and no light strips. Basically a blank lens (with a black reflector/backing. Theres an amber lens that lights up when the lights are on (for DOT purposes) but that is it

To add, the PuP has chrome blades on the bezels next to the fog lamps. On the Non-PUP, it is black.
    • Leather Arm Rests, Steering Wheel, Lower Dashboard
      • What material are they otherwise?
      • My understanding is this does not apply for White, as its the same both with and without PuP?
    My white interior arm rests are the same material as the seats.. so its the same soft synthetic pleather it seems.
    Not sure if this is still the case, but PuP also came with an alcantara lower strip on the dash. Some don't care for it, but for me it noticeably cut down glare/reflection of the dash onto my windshield. Non PuP dash material is consistent throughout however theres been some reports that newer deliveries with PuP no longer come with the Alcantara lower dash, so your mileage may vary there.
    • Soft LED Ambient Lighting
      • Is there no footwell or any ambient lighting at night without this package?
    Both PuP and Non PuP footwell LEDs light up only when doors are open or when you park the car. When driving, they turn off regardless of PuP or Non PuP.

PuP has additional LEDs in the trunk area and under the rear doors (you can retrofit Abstract Ocean ones to match the PuP locations as the harnesses are all there.

The LED ambient lights do stay lit under the door panel arm rests and are nice (particularly with the white interior) and you have the option of manually turning them off on your 17" control screen
    • Lighted Door Handles
      • No Light on handles without package?
    Not without the package. The LEDs themselves can be purchased through the service center for $19 bucks a piece or something along those lines and you can DIY retrofit them into the handles, but its labor intensive as it requires removing the door panels, possibly the window glass (on the front doors) to get access to the door handles in order to take it all apart and install the LEDs...

• Phone Dock
      • This one is just strange to list out. Its a $30 item.
    Correct, you can purchase it separately

Since the power liftgate is now standard, it definitely begs the question of whether its worth the $3,500 ask. For me, the headlight differences were enough to make it worthwhile and its nice to have it all done from factory, vs having to retrofit almost most of it after the fact.