Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What does 'Software Update' actually mean in the Tesla app?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks, so just to be clear, when the app says there’s a software update available and I see the wheel spinning indicating a software download has started, no download has in fact started. It’s just Tesla’s ultra confusing way of saying that a new release will eventually be downloaded to the car.
No, your app is confused for some reason. If the car doesn’t show downloading, it’s probably not downloading.

In regard to the wait after a new car purchase, it’s speculation that the delay is because they have to merge specific code for new cars into the main code stream. For example if they ended up with a different brand of sensor due to supply issues.

You can try rd opting the car and see if the message in the app goes away.

You can submit a service ticket and ask about it. Specifically the app message about downloading and your desire to use Apple Music.

Or you can wait a few weeks and see what happens.

In my case, I’ve stopped worrying about the latest and greatest. But I can see the new owner really wanting a feature that was advertised immediately.

No, your app is confused for some reason. If the car doesn’t show downloading, it’s probably not downloading.

In regard to the wait after a new car purchase, it’s speculation that the delay is because they have to merge specific code for new cars into the main code stream. For example if they ended up with a different brand of sensor due to supply issues.

You can try rd opting the car and see if the message in the app goes away.

You can submit a service ticket and ask about it. Specifically the app message about downloading and your desire to use Apple Music.

Or you can wait a few weeks and see what happens.

In my case, I’ve stopped worrying about the latest and greatest. But I can see the new owner really wanting a feature that was advertised immediately.
Thanks. Just to be clear, what should I see in the app when an update is available? I'm seeing the image at the start of this thread. Clicking on it does nothing.

Thanks. Just to be clear, what should I see in the app when an update is available? I'm seeing the image at the start of this thread. Clicking on it does nothing.
Sorry, I don’t have a screen shot. I thought it was initially something like - “ firmware update available, connect to wifi to download”. And then I know there is a “new firmware available, install now (with button to click to install)”.

Your screen looks like one in between those. Not sure I’ve noticed that, I usually just see status in the car.

Have you tried rebooting the car? (Two steering wheel buttons)

Sorry, I don’t have a screen shot. I thought it was initially something like - “ firmware update available, connect to wifi to download”. And then I know there is a “new firmware available, install now (with button to click to install)”.

Your screen looks like one in between those. Not sure I’ve noticed that, I usually just see status in the car.

Have you tried rebooting the car? (Two steering wheel buttons)
Thanks, yes, I rebooted the touchscreen and that at least gave me a line saying all my updates are up to date. Which they aren't! I have a Tesla service engineer visiting on a couple of other issues tomorrow - I'll ask them what I should be seeing!

In the app, when you tap where it tells you an update is available, it will say the download begins in 2 minutes and a countdown for that 2 minutes begins with a message that you can cancel before it completes. Once the download begins, it will indicate the % of completion it is at. You won't be able to use the car until it completes so make sure you don't start it until you won't need to use the car for 30+ minutes or so. In the car, when an update is available, there will be a yellow circle with a down arrow in it along the top of the screen. If you tap on that, it will begin the same process.
Actually, the downloading takes place in the background. After it is downloaded, it's the installation of the downloaded software that gives you the notice and will require that don't use the car while it is being installed (which usually takes between 15 and 45 minutes).

Thanks, yes, I rebooted the touchscreen and that at least gave me a line saying all my updates are up to date. Which they aren't! I have a Tesla service engineer visiting on a couple of other issues tomorrow - I'll ask them what I should be seeing!
Check if the firewall on your router is blocking anything. You can also try rebooting your router or if it is an option, go to a different location with WiFi (make sure your car can connect to that wifi). Generally the car needs to be on WiFi (although some critical updates like recalls, Tesla may push over LTE), the phone does not necessarily have to be.

As others mention, I wouldn't worry too much about it though, Tesla pushes updates in a staggered release and the time people receive them vary widely, even for cars with the same hardware and in same country. The car will always say it is up to date if you are not in line yet for the next update, even if there is newer update available to others.

• Informative
Reactions: BitJam
Check if the firewall on your router is blocking anything. You can also try rebooting your router or if it is an option, go to a different location with WiFi (make sure your car can connect to that wifi). Generally the car needs to be on WiFi (although some critical updates like recalls, Tesla may push over LTE), the phone does not necessarily have to be.

As others mention, I wouldn't worry too much about it though, Tesla pushes updates in a staggered release and the time people receive them vary widely, even for cars with the same hardware and in same country. The car will always say it is up to date if you are not in line yet for the next update, even if there is newer update available to others.
That's really helpful, and reassuring! Thank you.

As for when a new car receives it's first update, I got a 2022 model S in January 2022 and had the update preferences set to advanced and it was a few weeks before I saw anything. I recently got a 2023 Model 3 for my wife and as soon as I got it home the day I picked it up and connected to my home wifi it saw and installed an update. The Model 3 update preferences are set to normal, not advanced. Go figure. As others have mentioned, don't stress over it. They're fun surprises that you get from time to time.

On a few occasions I have had to do the scroll wheel reboot after an update to get things working properly again. Only once in the last 14 months have I had to do the power off restart from the service menu to fix a suspension issue that happened right after a "minor bug fix update" left the suspension stuck in very high mode.

Just think of the car like a smart phone or computer. If something interesting happens a reboot or power off and on restart will almost always fix it. Enjoy your new Tesla and welcome to the forum.

As for when a new car receives it's first update, I got a 2022 model S in January 2022 and had the update preferences set to advanced and it was a few weeks before I saw anything. I recently got a 2023 Model 3 for my wife and as soon as I got it home the day I picked it up and connected to my home wifi it saw and installed an update. The Model 3 update preferences are set to normal, not advanced. Go figure. As others have mentioned, don't stress over it. They're fun surprises that you get from time to time.

On a few occasions I have had to do the scroll wheel reboot after an update to get things working properly again. Only once in the last 14 months have I had to do the power off restart from the service menu to fix a suspension issue that happened right after a "minor bug fix update" left the suspension stuck in very high mode.

Just think of the car like a smart phone or computer. If something interesting happens a reboot or power off and on restart will almost always fix it. Enjoy your new Tesla and welcome to the forum.
Thank you! Loving this forum, it's great to feel part of a global community. Not felt like this since the days of CompuServe ... now that's showing my age!

Thank you. Several weeks is crazy! You'd think Tesla would want customers to have the best experience as soon as they've bought their cars.

Wonder if anyone else has experienced this wait?
I am in the same boat, I bought MYLR on february with FSD but my car doesn't have the FSDbeta installed, I have requested it right away, since I bought my car no update was pushed to my car it is still in factory version 2022.44.100 (teslascope shows only 7 car in that version) I agree with your point that Tesla should provide the new customer with the latest and greatest software, it's software if anything goes wrong it can be easily fixed by reverting it but not sure why TESLA is not doing so, very disappointing.

Reactions: glovelace
I am in the same boat, I bought MYLR on february with FSD but my car doesn't have the FSDbeta installed, I have requested it right away, since I bought my car no update was pushed to my car it is still in factory version 2022.44.100 (teslascope shows only 7 car in that version) I agree with your point that Tesla should provide the new customer with the latest and greatest software, it's software if anything goes wrong it can be easily fixed by reverting it but not sure why TESLA is not doing so, very disappointing.
FSDb is usually 2 or 3 releases behind the main branch. If you want FSDb ASAP then NO NOT UPDATE your firmware until you are offered a version with FSDb. The reason for this is Tesla will not downgrade your firmware to give you FSDb. If you upgrade to the latest and greatest firmware in the main branch then you are extending your wait for FSDb.

In addition, Tesla halted the release of the current FSDb to new people while they fixed the issues in the recent NHTSA FSDb recall. These fixes should be in firmware release 2022.45.11 or later. So sticking with the factory 2022.44.100 release was good for you. With any luck you should be getting a firmware update with version 11 of FSDb in a few days.

When you are offered a firmware update, look at the release notes or do an internet search for them based on the firmware version to make sure the latest FSDb (version 11.3.x or greater) is included.

BTW: on the touchscreen in the car you can set your Software Update Preference to "Advanced" in the Car --> Software tab. But again,when they say an update is available make sure it contains FSDb before you install it.

I finally had my first software update yesterday. Still no parking assist!

6D49D98A-9584-43E5-8CCE-1E102B376ADA.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056