Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What does supercharger V3 mean for existing model S owners?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty new to the game here, just put 1001 miles on my new S. I've been hearing about the V3 supercharger coming. Does this mean if I use one of these V3 chargers in the future, that my S will charge faster without me having to pay to upgrade any hardware or software? If I can charge at 400 miles per hour now, what can I expect with the new V3 charger in my s?

The CCS upgrade is not the V3 superchargers - it is an upgrade to support both connectors, it does not appear to be the V3 supercharging that is supposed to support much faster charging.

Musk previously indicated V3 supercharging would include both much faster charging and the "snake" connector, which would be used in the coast-to-coast FSD demonstration, without any human intervention, even for supercharging.

At this point, Tesla hasn't provided any details on what the V3 superchargers will actually do or what vehicle hardware will be needed to support the higher charging speeds, and for vehicles that don't have the hardware to support full V3 charging speeds, what those vehicles will get from the V3 superchargers.

Two years ago, it appeared the V3 superchargers were imminent, and we almost delayed purchasing our S 100D, so that we'd be sure to get a Model S that would support the faster charging speeds. We've had our S 100D for over 1.5 years now - and still waiting to hear when V3 superchargers will be deployed - and if it will provide any benefit for our 100D.

Does this mean if I use one of these V3 chargers in the future, that my S will charge faster without me having to pay to upgrade any hardware or software?

No. Existing Model S/X cars won't be affected. They will continue to Supercharge at their current rate even after the stations are upgraded. This is similar to how Teslas with version A battery packs are still limited to 90 kWh even though other Teslas use up to 120 kW at the same stations.

In addition, there is no option for existing S/X owners to upgrade to Supercharger V3. You would need a new battery pack with more powerful cooling that supports 180 kW instead of 120 kW. Does this mean you need to buy a new Model S/X or does it mean Tesla will offer a new battery pack? Well, theoretically, Tesla could offer a new pack, but last time they offered it the price was $22,500 and nobody bought it and they quickly discontinued that option.

Let's say they offered that option and it was $18,000. Would you buy it? Probably not because it makes more sense to sell the car and buy a new one. The new Model S/X version with the new battery packs have not been released yet. Either January or April 2019 is the likely release date because Tesla makes these kind big changes in the first month of the quarter.

However, all existing Model 3 owners will likely be able to use Supercharger V3 without any change as soon as Tesla starts upgrading the hardware at the Supercharge stations because the Model 3 already supports 525 Amp at 350 Volt which is 525*350= 183750 Watts= 184 kW according to page 9 of this EPA document. Here is a screenshot:

XFGYHnm.jpg

I have checked the EPA documents for Model S/X and they don't show any change.

If I can charge at 400 miles per hour now, what can I expect with the new V3 charger in my s?
You won't be able to use Supercharger V3, however, here is what it means for Model 3 owners: a Supercharge session that takes 30 minutes now will take 20 minutes with Supercharger V3.

Last edited:
My contention that supercharger 3 will simply be multiple connections from somewhat faster superchargers just like we have now maybe somewhat verified with the recent notice of a Tesla semi charging from five different superchargers stalls. If that is the case, they would have to make our cars with multiple ports. Of course I think the standard supercharger rates will go up to at least 350, maybe as much as five hundred. So it'll still be a lot faster than what we have now. The CCS standard does allow that. So, who knows, maybe we will see it with the imminent s and X update

With other manufacturers making claims on how much faster they may be able to charge - at some point, Tesla will (finally) provide details on V3 superchargers - and then we'll all know how this will or won't work with existing vehicles.

With more power available with V3 superchargers, when sharing a charger between two "stalls", even if a vehicle can't get the full benefits of the V3 charging, it could still provide some benefit, by allowing two V2-capable vehicles to share a charger without having to reduce the charging rate for one of the vehicles, which is what's done today.

• Informative
Reactions: saniflash
With other manufacturers making claims on how much faster they may be able to charge - at some point, Tesla will (finally) provide details on V3 superchargers - and then we'll all know how this will or won't work with existing vehicles.

With more power available with V3 superchargers, when sharing a charger between two "stalls", even if a vehicle can't get the full benefits of the V3 charging, it could still provide some benefit, by allowing two V2-capable vehicles to share a charger without having to reduce the charging rate for one of the vehicles, which is what's done today.

Early 2019

For older S's, it will mean that if one older S hooks up and starts charging, the second S that hooks up to the same stack won't have to wait for the first to taper to get the full rate. This assumes they maintain the current two stalls per stack architecture.

Did they say it would allow 250 kW charging? We are already able to do close to 200 kW on our 2017 Model S. Unless the upgrade is pretty cheap, I don't think many will feel the need to upgrade.
My MS 70d was manufactured in Oct 2015 and only can super charge at 135 KW/hr. After the upgrade, I can use CCS charging, V3 super charge and the charging rate can be much increased. The cost here is HKD2,250.