TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What does Tesla do with trade ins?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Eclectic, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Eclectic

Eclectic Member

It's coming up on a month since we took delivery of our P85D. We traded in our P85 and Tesla gave us a good price, so I have no real interest in what happens afterwards, but I am curious. The old car is still showing on our mobile app and ever so often I check to see where it is. It's been sitting in the same spot on Kato Road at the Tesla plant for weeks. It was moved once, but just from one spot in the outdoor lot to another. I'm assuming that the app is showing real time info, as I'm able to turn on the heater, open the sunroof, etc. (or, at least, the app shows those commands being followed).

I assumed that Tesla would have either wholesaled it, pronto. Sitting on $80k worth of inventory doesn't seem like a smart move.

Does anyone know what Tesla does with the trade ins?

2. richrootes

richrootes Member

No, but you could be gathering some useful battery data whilst you're at it......!

3. flankspeed8

flankspeed8 Member

I am guessing they are accumulating inventory for their CPO program? Seems like they would want to get this rolling sooner than later. That is a lot of depreciation that is sitting on the books.

4. NOLA_Mike

NOLA_Mike Active Member

I've heard they are all being shipped back to California where I assume they will prepped for some sort of CPO program to roll out early this year in California.

Like you, I was able to track my traded in P85+ for quite a while after I turned it in to the Houston Service Center. It sat in Houston for about a week and then was put on a truck and transported west. I saw it going through San Antonio, New Mexico and Arizona. It landed at the Costa Mesa Service Center where it remained for at least a couple of weeks - at which point Tesla finally eliminated that vehicle from my account.

Mike

5. Eclectic

Eclectic Member

The battery has 1 mile range...it was turned in with about 190. I'm assuming it wasn't driven more than a mile or so in the parking lot.