Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What does the 200kWh pack of the new Roadster tell us about future Tesla products?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can we expect a redesigned Version 2.0 Model S with 600+ miles of range?

My guess is: the battery pack will be doubled in height so a new design will have to be drawn up.

And while at it, Tesla might as well add more head room, towing capability and others because it's pretty much a new design any how.

The timing might be affected by economic factor.

Would there be lots of demand for $200,000 base sticker price Roadster?

If so, there's no incentive to produce new Model S before gen2 2020 Roadster!

If not, new Model S should come out before gen2 Roadster.

It says Tesla is very likely to introduce larger batteries for the Model S and X, probably sooner than when Roadster v.2 comes out. I'm almost certain of this. Just imagine the range and performance of a 130 kWh S or X

It says Tesla is expecting (or already has) a battery density breakthrough that will benefit all models. (See above).

While I would like 400 miles of range in Model S with a 130 kW battery, 500 to 600 mile range would be preferred.

Better yet, 600 mile range in a heavy duty 5 or 6 seat extended cab pickup style may be the ultimate answer for ruggedized transit that is more comfortable, quieter and sportier than a Chevrolet Silverado or other similar pickup truck.

Reactions: Tiger
While I would like 400 miles of range in Model S with a 130 kW battery, 500 to 600 mile range would be preferred.

Better yet, 600 mile range in a heavy duty 5 or 6 seat extended cab pickup style may be the ultimate answer for ruggedized transit that is more comfortable, quieter and sportier than a Chevrolet Silverado or other similar pickup truck.

Hear, hear.

I’ve often advocated for a 600-mile range for a couple of very practical reasons,

Here in temperate SoCal, I often get only 60%-70% efficiency if I don’t leave the area. Short, urban, hilly trips will do that. Translated, that means from 294 miles max range in a 90D, one only gets 176 miles of practical range - extrapolated from, say, use of 70% of a pack (90%-20%=70%).

Add actual cold wx and things get even worse.

So a 600-mile max range is really just 360 miles of range living in the sweet spot of 20% to 80%, and then deduct for shorter trips and wx from there. Need more? Fine. Can always operate from 100% to 10% but the aforementioned range hits will still apply under the conditions noted.

Add the hauling requirements of a pick up truck and 600 miles gross for, say, 200-250 miles net still works for most people in most places.

Based upon the semi/roadster demo, two potential products are very exciting. A Tesla semi RV (even just a single trailer provides 424 square feet of gross living space) *and* a Tesla pick up truck *or* flatbed/stakebed for ranch and rural use, let alone just because someone might want a pickup instead of an SUV.

Think of how cool a fleet of Tesla commercial tow trucks would be. Hello, torque. They all start their shifts with a full charge, and even blizzard conditions would be feasible. And that’s just with SCs at the depots. Concentric circles of SCs make the potential unlimited,

Jerome Guillen deserves all the good things coming his way for driving this paradigm-altering vision into the realm of reality.

Reactions: Tiger and Mark Z
Can we expect a redesigned Version 2.0 Model S with 600+ miles of range?
That's NOT going to happen.
Roadster NG is a hypercar.
Model S/X is an awesome car, but its not a hypercar.
If you want 600 miles of range you will have to buy a roadster.
Putting 200kWh on a MS/MX (even if it fits) will substantially reduce its mpge rating (Wh/mile).
You get bad diminishing results.
My money is on gradually larger packs perhaps 120 in 2018, 140 in 2021 (after M3 is fully ramped up, Roadster and Semi are in normal production).
I hope Tesla will limit maximum pack size for MS/MX at current mass. Only increase to the extent pack mass stays the same.
But I confess I'm an efficiency nut. Other people won't care one bit about mpge or Wh/mile figures.
But forget about a 200kWh pack on MS/MX. If that were even possible, a P200DL would cost over $200k.
I don't see reason for a MS/MX with much over 400 miles of range, as long as its 400 miles at 70 mph, so people can actually rely on 300 miles with safety margins, and AC/Heating at normal levels.

I don't think Tesla should waste lithium/large volume of cells on ultra large packs. Use those to make more cars, more powerwall/powerpacks and even more cars.

Reactions: Amit519
Just wait and see, Tesla is going to do it just out of spite to give one more smack down on the gasoline cars.
I think the biggest smack down Tesla can do to gasoline cars is to achieve 10 million units/year production. Which would be nearly 10% of worldwide car production.
Which with full autonomy could actually move the needle in decarbonization of the worldwide economy.
You want Tesla to do it, because you want such a pack for yourself. Its helpful to separate the two things.
Tesla once was a promising company. Tesla now is already the real deal. They don't need stunts anymore.
The decision on the Roadster 2020 price was a very sensible one. Think about it. Its cheap enough nearly every hollywood millionaire can afford one. Every body that got a signature MS or MX could buy one.
10 million units/year is certainly achievable on the supply side for Tesla by 2025 at the latest.