Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What does the emphasis on the D mean for RWD Teslas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
interested in your thoughts here. there are some people who still want rwd. even with the new website design, you have to look for the 85 to find it. are they trying to phase out rwd and/or the 85 altogether?

I hope there will always be rwd Model S. But I feel like its being phased out... I like the performance of the dual motors but want a usable frunk, with 3 kids it matters...

The 85 will be around until there is a battery pack upgrade. Demand will dictate if the RWD continues to be offered. Here in New England and other snowy regions, we prefer the dual motor.

I was hoping that a thread titled as it is... would discuss when and if the 85's battery pack will grow by 15% or more.... would probably require new cells.
A new pack will complicate the battery swap program a great deal. I suppose new cells will be forthcoming once the Gigafactory is up an running?

I don't think Tesla is ever going to stop offering a RWD Model S, but the new Design Studio page certainly does not make it easy to find it. However someone in Germany posted a screenshot of the same page on the German website and it showed all four configurations simultaneously, I assume by default. Very different from the way the U.S. site shows the configurations, which is by default only the three AWD configurations are displayed. The first time I saw the revised page I thought the RWD version was discontinued!

IMO, the 85 is alive and well, I do think upgrade will come in the next 1 year and we will have a new range topping battery, maybe the 100 or whatever they will call it. I think in the interim the reason they changed the 60 to the 70 and increased the price and capacity to eliminate the lesser models has to do with the CPO Program and the inventory they have. They will want to charge $60-$70k for preowned 60's and that would be tough if a new one is so close in price.

With so many superchargers available, what is the real benefit for offering a larger battery pack in the future.

I understand, that for many individuals, the Superchargers are not available on the specific routes they might prefer, but at the rate superchargers are being built, that should be less and less of an issue in the future.

With the release of the future smaller Tesla, I would believe that superchargers would become even more tightly grouped.

With so many superchargers available, what is the real benefit for offering a larger battery pack in the future.

I understand, that for many individuals, the Superchargers are not available on the specific routes they might prefer, but at the rate superchargers are being built, that should be less and less of an issue in the future.

With the release of the future smaller Tesla, I would believe that superchargers would become even more tightly grouped.

Supercharger coverage is still very limited when you get away from the major interstates. We are planning a spring trip to the Shenandoah Mountains and it seems very dicey with even the 85 kwh battery pack. Even if we can make it to our destination it won't be a fun drive as we'll have to drive the speed limit and be passed by just about everyone on the way there. At some point we will need a 350-400 mile range battery to be able to enjoy driving the car and be able to reach exciting destinations off the major interstates.

On the East Coast there is hardly any Supercharger coverage away from the major interstates. The I-66 corridor in the DC area for example is very popular and there are no superchargers there.

Disagree. Others have posted that the 70 was likely introduced now -- just before the X is launched -- because the X needs 70kWh to get an EPA rating of over 200 because it is less aerodynamic (taller) and Elon has been very clear that he does not want to sell EVs with less than 200 miles of range. I think he views the Model S 40 as a mistake, very few were sold and then it was discontinued.

I think in the interim the reason they changed the 60 to the 70 and increased the price and capacity to eliminate the lesser models has to do with the CPO Program and the inventory they have. They will want to charge $60-$70k for preowned 60's and that would be tough if a new one is so close in price.

My opinion of course... I think we will see 85 kWh and 100 kWh packs for the Model X. This will allow X to have roughly the same range as the Model S 70 and 85. I think it would be bad for Tesla if the Model X had lower range than Model S. In mid-2016 and after the X has been shipping for a while, we will see the Model S upgraded to 85 and 100 packs. The 70D and 85 RWD will be discontinued. This will give us Model S variants with range from 270 to 315 miles EPA. This positions the Model S lineup to have longer range than the Model 3 that will come the following year. Model 3 variants will probably come in 200 and 250 mile versions.

My opinion of course... I think we will see 85 kWh and 100 kWh packs for the Model X. This will allow X to have roughly the same range as the Model S 70 and 85. I think it would be bad for Tesla if the Model X had lower range than Model S. In mid-2016 and after the X has been shipping for a while, we will see the Model S upgraded to 85 and 100 packs. The 70D and 85 RWD will be discontinued. This will give us Model S variants with range from 270 to 315 miles EPA. This positions the Model S lineup to have longer range than the Model 3 that will come the following year. Model 3 variants will probably come in 200 and 250 mile versions.

I am almost certain the MX will have a 100 kWh battery pack but it make so much sense for Tesla to include the exact same batteries for both the Model X and the Model S. That essentially allows both vehicles to have the identical core battery and mechanical platforms. Yes, the MX will deliver slightly less range but that is no deferent from an ML having a bit less range than an E class when they are both built on the same platform.

My opinion of course... I think we will see 85 kWh and 100 kWh packs for the Model X. This will allow X to have roughly the same range as the Model S 70 and 85. I think it would be bad for Tesla if the Model X had lower range than Model S.

Agree, and I was thinking the same thing. Once those packs are available, it's only a matter of time before it becomes an option in the S. Being one of the first Model S owners (just after the Sigs), I missed out on a lot of the "cool new stuff" but at a little over two years in, I'm going to hang tight for a bit to see if this pans out. I'd love AWD and Auto Pilot...

Agree, and I was thinking the same thing. Once those packs are available, it's only a matter of time before it becomes an option in the S. Being one of the first Model S owners (just after the Sigs), I missed out on a lot of the "cool new stuff" but at a little over two years in, I'm going to hang tight for a bit to see if this pans out. I'd love AWD and Auto Pilot...

The only thing wrong with my hypothesis is that if Tesla does as I describe, Model S sales could fall off a cliff because people will know that a 100 kWh pack is just around the corner.

Though completely happy with my car, including lack of AWD and autopilot, I would seriously consider a trade-in for a larger battery and a real blue. Preferably something like Laurent's blue, but perhaps even the new Ocean Blue.

I think that's why they have introduced the 70 in the S, and may well introduce a larger battery in the S at the same time as the X.

One problem with Tesla's direct sales model is that there is no dealer channel to stuff obsolete inventory into. GM can release a new model knowing that the dealers will have no choice but to take the hit. Tesla doesn't have that flexibility.

The way Tesla has managed this problem in the past is by incorporating new technology into cars which are shipping just before the announcement. If they announce a 100 battery, they may also announce that everyone with an 85 in transit or production is going to get the larger battery... or they may not announce anything, and we might start hearing from people asking why their new 85D shows 300 miles of rated range.

The only thing wrong with my hypothesis is that if Tesla does as I describe, Model S sales could fall off a cliff because people will know that a 100 kWh pack is just around the corner.

donv, I am not saying they would do this, but I would imagine that they would software limit the new 100 in your scenario to be equivalent to a 100 and then perhaps, allow you to software upgrade it like they did with the 40s being software limited 60s.

what does this mean for the 85?

This is where my head is unless marketing somehow decides there is value for a wider gap between the variants and still needs an "entry" model until the Model 3 arrives.

So I think:

Model S w/ 70 & 100+ or 70, 85 and P100+
Model X w/ 85 & 100+