Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What does the emphasis on the D mean for RWD Teslas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems unlikely to me. Many higher end cars continue to be available in RWD or AWD flavors and all Tesla has to do is leave out the front motor and lower the price. I think it's more likely there will be a 70 RWD model announced.

Many higher end cars also don't have AWD increasing efficiency and range (at least, if they do, it's not going to be noticeable or important to the consumer, whereas it will be on a Tesla). I'd also argue that handling benefits an EV far more than an ICE once you move into AWD.

It's similar to manual v. auto. Modern autos from an objective standpoint are almost unequivocally better (minor part about more inspection/repairs possibly needed), but a small minority of people will still want manual regardless due to what excites them on a car.

I expect RWD to be discontinued for assembly-line-simplification reasons.

I think the nail in the coffin was when the AWD design had longer range than the equivalent RWD design. As we all know, range anxiety is the big issue for selling electric cars; there's no reason for Tesla to sell a model with a shorter range to appeal to a fairly small group of people.

I expect the RWD 85 to be around until the supply of RWD-specific parts starts to run out (leaving just enough for a repair supply for the service centers) at which point I expect it to be dropped.

An RWD model might be reintroduced later, but it won't be the same; it will be the AWD model minus parts, which is not what the current RWD model is. Expect it to have the smaller frunk, for example.