Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What does the kWh used on the cards include?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just drove about 220kms and the screen card that shows distance kWh and efficiency indicates 35kwh consumed. I charged to 99% before leaving and arrived home with 19% remaining on the battery. I used no heat but low setting on the seat warmers for less than half the drive.

Does that 35kwh used include any other power consumed or is it strictly tied to the distance driven? The reaso. I ask is 35 out of 50 kWh is 70%. Shouldn’t I be showing 30% remaining?

I believe it encompasses all electrical consumption, HVAC, traction motor and all other electronics. The reason your numbers aren’t jiving is because the car reserves some power for its electronics so the full capacity of the battery is not available for travel.
I suspect those even more knowledgeable will add further details.

Reactions: Darthbenji
I agree, a bit of.a mystery.

OP, please add your car model to your information
Why do you think the car has 50 kWh usable ?
Did you stop during the trip ?
~ 1.8 kWh of missing energy is explained by the car building up a reserve as you discharge from a full battery. It occurs at a rate equal to 0.045% of the nominal pack capacity per 1% SoC drop

The car is the Sr+. Drove straight without stopping. I assumed the SR+ had a 50kwh battery yet according to my math(simple I admit) my number indicate 43kwh. Which happens to agree with the rated range when full of about 350kms instead of the 385 I should see.

How long have you owned the car ? Perhaps the battery is not calibrated.
In your shoes I would outfit the car with the 'Scan My Tesla' app, OBD2 adapter cable and OBD2 bluetooth dongle (total cost ~ $130.) That will give you the insight you want.

Isn’t it pretty much accepted that the SR+ has a 60 kWh battery?

Tesla Model 3 Battery Pack & Battery Cell Teardown Highlights Performance Improvements

17.3 wh * 4416 cells = 76.4 kWh long range

250 * 76.4 / 322 = 59.3 kWh Sr+

How much is actually usable? Smarter people than me will comment on that.

As far as range vs energy consumed, I have to dig up some data but lots of conditions can affect how far you actually go vs what is predicted (wind, incline, speed). Did the card show energy rate as 159wh/km? I believe the EPA ratings are 230 wh/mi or 142 wh/km so you were using energy at a rate of 12% higher than normal. That would be 331km instead of 371 and 220/331 is roughly 67% of total (which is inline with the 35 out of 50 you mentioned). Maybe the consumption card is strictly related to driving and doesn’t count hvac or heated seats and you used that other 10% on heating (5-6 kWh)? Seems high as the data I can find suggests 0.5 kWh for seat heater on low.

Let's Look At Energy Consumption Of Tesla Model 3 Heater

Sorry if none of that cleared anything up but it sounds to me like we are missing some data to explain what you are seeing. Have you tried plugging your route into abetterrouteplanner.com and seeing what the suggested soc is at the end (it defaults to 90% to start so easy calculate total % used)?

Reactions: BuggDDS
Did the card show energy rate as 159wh/km?
OP's argument in a nutshell is that the car reports that 35 kWh is 80% of the battery*, implying that the the total usable capacity is
35/0.8 = 43.75 kWh.

My take is that either his battery calibration is waay off, or he has a defective battery. As I said above, in his shoes I would grab data via the 'scan my tesla' app.

OP: what is your rated range at 99% SoC ?

*because his SoC dropped from 99% to 19%, and he calculated the kWh as distance * Wh/km from the trip.

Isn’t it pretty much accepted that the SR+ has a 60 kWh battery?

Tesla Model 3 Battery Pack & Battery Cell Teardown Highlights Performance Improvements

17.3 wh * 4416 cells = 76.4 kWh long range

250 * 76.4 / 322 = 59.3 kWh Sr+

How much is actually usable? Smarter people than me will comment on that.

As far as range vs energy consumed, I have to dig up some data but lots of conditions can affect how far you actually go vs what is predicted (wind, incline, speed). Did the card show energy rate as 159wh/km? I believe the EPA ratings are 230 wh/mi or 142 wh/km so you were using energy at a rate of 12% higher than normal. That would be 331km instead of 371 and 220/331 is roughly 67% of total (which is inline with the 35 out of 50 you mentioned). Maybe the consumption card is strictly related to driving and doesn’t count hvac or heated seats and you used that other 10% on heating (5-6 kWh)? Seems high as the data I can find suggests 0.5 kWh for seat heater on low.

Let's Look At Energy Consumption Of Tesla Model 3 Heater

Sorry if none of that cleared anything up but it sounds to me like we are missing some data to explain what you are seeing. Have you tried plugging your route into abetterrouteplanner.com and seeing what the suggested soc is at the end (it defaults to 90% to start so easy calculate total % used)?

I did put that in just now and it indicates I should have used 68% not the 80% I did consume. I drove conservatively too. Barely speeding. 35kwh used and 19% left starting at 99% means there’s a good 7 kWh I don’t have use of assuming it’s a 50kwh battery.
Anyway, charged up to 90% and it’s showing 311kms of range. The full range estimate at 100% is 350.

The card showed energy consumption of 161.as far as calibration goes, it was never good from day one of ownership and my attempts to get it back in line have not worked. The exact opposite experience from my LR RWD.