Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What does the LR Acceleration Boost cost in Australia?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A question from the side - how is it achieved? Clearly it's a software switch, but I was of the understanding that the acceleration in the Performance model was due to a more heavy-duty inverter and, if so, how can a mere software switch on the LR model turn it up to 11?

Thanks. Sheesh that changes things a bit. I hadn‘t budgeted that much.
I reckon it is good to try it without acceleration boost for a bit anyhow. Then you will really appreciate the difference when you upgrade. Once Acceleration Boost is installed, you still only have the same two selectable driving modes Chill and Sport. So you can only switch back to chill. You cannot switch back to "Sport without Acceleration Boost" if you get what I mean. It doesn't get old either, as there is no need to speed to use it.

A question from the side - how is it achieved? Clearly it's a software switch, but I was of the understanding that the acceleration in the Performance model was due to a more heavy-duty inverter and, if so, how can a mere software switch on the LR model turn it up to 11?

the AWD isnt maxed out in terms of the performance it can provide whereas the performance apparently is (debateable.......).

Each to their own, but I find the acceleration of the LR head bending enough, no need for it to be even faster! I’ve only planted the foot occasionally to show it off to passengers. Or when I’ve succumbed to the temptation to blow some fossil car off the line. Neither of which are actually ‘need to have’.

In “normal” driving, there’s been very few times when I’ve needed to accelerate that fast. I find it most useful for merging onto freeways.

The rapid acceleration gets old fast once the speeding tickets and points losses start rolling in, and then you have to start ‘driving like a granny’ for a few years
Even Chill mode on my 3LR was enough to get me a ticket.

Early one morning I was driving along the M5. The traffic was moderate - not heavy but not light. I was behind a vehicle that stuck in the right lane even when not overtaking. They'd go as slow as just under 90 to around 105 but weren't consistent. After following them for a while I got fed up and when there was a gap to their left, I ducked into it, accelerated to 124, zipped past them and dropped back to 105. I would have been doing 124 for no more than a couple of seconds. Next minute Blue/red flashing lights behind me. Because it was dark I hadn't realised the bike behind me was a cop.

I pulled over. The cop asked why I was going so fast as he clocked me at 124. I said I was frustrated by the guy that was sticking in the right hand lane when not overtaking. He said, "But he was going the speed limit". (I was tempted to point out that "Keep left unless overtaking" holds regardless of the speed you're travelling, but bit my tongue.) I said, "but he wasn't at the speed limit all the time. He was varying between 90 and 105". He said, that he could understand my frustration but that was no excuse for speeding. He was lenient and only booked me for doing 10km over the speed limit.

Now, the two things that I don't get is a) how he thought that the keep left rule didn't apply if you were doing the speed limit; and b) how he managed to clock my speed when I accelerated and slowed down again it such a short space. He wasn't on my tail for the whole time.

In “normal” driving, there’s been very few times when I’ve needed to accelerate that fast. I find it most useful for merging onto freeways.
The time I find it most useful is to get around dicks that sit in the right hand lane when not overtaking. As they are dicks, they usually accelerate if you attempt to go under them but even in chill mode you are inside and past them before they can react. Of course, be careful you don't have a cop right behind you. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: Vostok
The bigger question is how he was able to operate a calibrated measuring device while riding a bike.. I reckon he might have just looked at his own speedo, and then you've admitted to speeding when he talked to you.
Most likely. He did tell me what my speed had been before I offered any information so if he guessed, he was spot on.

It was a fair cop and I was speeding so I took it on the chin.

The bigger question is how he was able to operate a calibrated measuring device while riding a bike.. I reckon he might have just looked at his own speedo, and then you've admitted to speeding when he talked to you.
It probably gets an array of signals returned with two big peaks, one for the primary target and the other from the stationary background (road, poles) with a mist of smaller peaks for non-primary movement (cars off-angle).
In software it filters all but the highest peaks, and displays the speed difference between those peaks.
At least, that's how I'd do it if I were making speed guns.

Even Chill mode on my 3LR was enough to get me a ticket.

Early one morning I was driving along the M5. The traffic was moderate - not heavy but not light. I was behind a vehicle that stuck in the right lane even when not overtaking. They'd go as slow as just under 90 to around 105 but weren't consistent. After following them for a while I got fed up and when there was a gap to their left, I ducked into it, accelerated to 124, zipped past them and dropped back to 105. I would have been doing 124 for no more than a couple of seconds. Next minute Blue/red flashing lights behind me. Because it was dark I hadn't realised the bike behind me was a cop.

I pulled over. The cop asked why I was going so fast as he clocked me at 124. I said I was frustrated by the guy that was sticking in the right hand lane when not overtaking. He said, "But he was going the speed limit". (I was tempted to point out that "Keep left unless overtaking" holds regardless of the speed you're travelling, but bit my tongue.) I said, "but he wasn't at the speed limit all the time. He was varying between 90 and 105". He said, that he could understand my frustration but that was no excuse for speeding. He was lenient and only booked me for doing 10km over the speed limit.

Now, the two things that I don't get is a) how he thought that the keep left rule didn't apply if you were doing the speed limit; and b) how he managed to clock my speed when I accelerated and slowed down again it such a short space. He wasn't on my tail for the whole time.

Australia is a police state and uses speeding fines to bolster its revenue. you have to think of it as road tax.
also get good to change your rear view mirror before accelerating... And always inspect traffic behind you for cops etc. (when they are close enough)
And have waze running.

Australia is a police state
I assume that is tongue-in-cheek, since you have the Amnesty International logo as your avatar.

and uses speeding fines to bolster its revenue.
There’s an easy solution to that… don’t exceed the speed limit. Works for me.

Maybe we could start a massive civil obedience campaign and starve the Government of this revenue? That’d really teach ‘em and hit ’em where it hurts! Let’s do it, yeah!