Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What does the LR Acceleration Boost cost in Australia?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I assume that is tongue-in-cheek, since you have the Amnesty International logo as your avatar.

There’s an easy solution to that… don’t exceed the speed limit. Works for me.

Maybe we could start a massive civil obedience campaign and starve the Government of this revenue? That’d really teach ‘em and hit ’em where it hurts! Let’s do it, yeah!

i dont have the amnesty logo as my avatar.

the australian speed limits do not make sense and even less so dishing out rediculous speeding fines for i.e. someone overtaking an idiot on the road.
they have 1 purpose and that is revenue collection and exploitation of citizens.

If Australia really wanted to to adress the road toll theyd introduce proper driving training and tests as well as mandatory MOTs/TUVs + emission tests as well as cops pulling people over not keeping to the left or driving in clearly unsafe vehicles.

Reactions: ICUDoc
i dont have the amnesty logo as my avatar.
No? The candle is identical, and the barbed wire is wrapped around only slightly differently:

70FDFE73-9AB1-4305-97C6-382E938608DA.jpeg

the australian speed limits do not make sense and even less so dishing out rediculous speeding fines for i.e. someone overtaking an idiot on the road. they have 1 purpose and that is revenue collection and exploitation of citizens.

Well clearly I don’t agree with you on that, but if you’re really angry about this, then why not just comply with the posted speed limits at all times and stop giving the Government the satisfaction of collecting fines from you?

No? The candle is identical, and the barbed wire is wrapped around only slightly differently:

View attachment 692341

Well clearly I don’t agree with you on that, but if you’re really angry about this, then why not just comply with the posted speed limits at all times and stop giving the Government the satisfaction of collecting fines from you?

hm so not quite the same logo then hehe.

because I a) dont want to be stuck behind a clown, just like you dont (and it is not safe for you to be behind him due to his erratic behaviour. I sometimes have issues with follow distance 7 being still too close behind certain idiots on the bruce highway) and b) the speed limits are too low and make you feel like you are going backwards half of the time and c) driver fatigue is big issue when you drive such long distances regularly and even 10-20km/h over makes a huge difference to my travel time. And keeps me more alert. 110kmh on a prestine motorway is a complete joke. And why do they not pick 70km/h? or 60km/h? It makes no sense. The speedlimit is an arbitary restriction not related to anything. In europe we drive as fast as we want for the most part and our accident rates are lower.

Everytime the NT has had their derestricted speed zones there was no increase in fatalities. In fact, it went down.

hm so not quite the same logo then hehe.
Begs the question then....

Anyway, back on topic. For people interested in the AB upgrade there is a comprehensive Acceleration Boost thread in the main forum. You can read all about it there. There is a feeling that AB makes little or no difference above 100kmh, while readily achieving or bettering the claimed increase.
I measured mine with a dragy consistently at 3.88s and 3.69 using the 1' methodology which is popular in the USA and used for the Performance model.

1628212017954.png

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
My fastest car was a Mazda RX-8 (6.6s 0-100), so when I get my Model 3 LR, it will feel like a rocket ship, anyway.

Even a SR+ with the same 0 to 100 would feel much faster due to monster torque. This is something people do not realize and Tesla does not advertise.
The RX 8 has I think 220nm of torque, SR+/LR have 450nm.

The peak torque of the SR+/MR/LR is all the same. The difference is that the SR+ has been artifically gimped to behave like a gas car in two ways. a) torque is reduced in the lower rpms and b) there is a slight delay in the onset of torque.

However in practice both of these things only matter at a) a stoplight and b) if you stomp the throttle to compare yourself to another car.
In practice when you floor it at 30km/h to start at a higher rpm band where the SR+ isnt gimped in torque it is just as fast as a LR. The LR pulls away in rolling drag races because the SR+ has this artifical kickdown time programmed in which in real life driving doesnt matter.

Overtaking on a motorway and pressing down the pedal at 110km/h to speed up to 150km/h etc there isn't even much difference between the performance and the SR+ (and LR). Yes, in drag videos the performance immediately pulls away and nothing happens in the SR+ but this is due to the lag tesla has put in for the SR+.

edit: oh did not read you got the LR.

So... In Australia we only get the SR+ (single motor) or LR (dual motor) and Performance (dual motor)

Both the LR and Performance have higher torque than the SR+ cause of the second motor

The Mid Range was never released in Australia

Reactions: Flatbat
My fastest car was a Mazda RX-8 (6.6s 0-100), so when I get my Model 3 LR, it will feel like a rocket ship, anyway.
Indeed it will. I sold my dinosaur 6L SS Ute for M3LR. The Tesla feels a metric *sugar* tonne faster even though the numbers on paper seem closer. I have not purchased the acceleration boost. It’s there in the app, you can do it anytime you’re in the mood. I feel that I’m perilously close to getting booked even without it. The smooth silent linear torque is highly enjoyable.

Enjoy your new car for a while and then buy the boost if and when you get bored with it.

Last edited:
I just picked up my 2021 LR M3 today and was expecting to be able to download acceleration boost, but when I go into my app I do not have it showing as an option. Is it available to LR M3 in Australia? Anyone know why it might not be showing as an available option?

If it doesn’t show there, is it possible that the owner isn’t yet known “everywhere” in Tesla’s system as being the owner of the car., since they just collected it today?

I haven’t looked for a while but it used to be the case that a “driver” didn’t get access to the Upgrades, only the “owner” does. Maybe @varks could try killing the Tesla app and re-opening it so it re-connects to the mothership and maybe will now recognise the brand new owner as being the owner.

BTW, since it is (very) wet in Sydney I would respectfully advise a brand new Day One owner against a maximum-effort launch (especially with Acceleration Boost) just now…

Reactions: ICUDoc
Even Chill mode on my 3LR was enough to get me a ticket.

Early one morning I was driving along the M5. The traffic was moderate - not heavy but not light. I was behind a vehicle that stuck in the right lane even when not overtaking. They'd go as slow as just under 90 to around 105 but weren't consistent. After following them for a while I got fed up and when there was a gap to their left, I ducked into it, accelerated to 124, zipped past them and dropped back to 105. I would have been doing 124 for no more than a couple of seconds. Next minute Blue/red flashing lights behind me. Because it was dark I hadn't realised the bike behind me was a cop.

I pulled over. The cop asked why I was going so fast as he clocked me at 124. I said I was frustrated by the guy that was sticking in the right hand lane when not overtaking. He said, "But he was going the speed limit". (I was tempted to point out that "Keep left unless overtaking" holds regardless of the speed you're travelling, but bit my tongue.) I said, "but he wasn't at the speed limit all the time. He was varying between 90 and 105". He said, that he could understand my frustration but that was no excuse for speeding. He was lenient and only booked me for doing 10km over the speed limit.

Now, the two things that I don't get is a) how he thought that the keep left rule didn't apply if you were doing the speed limit; and b) how he managed to clock my speed when I accelerated and slowed down again it such a short space. He wasn't on my tail for the whole time.
I feel your pain there, that sounds like someone that should have something better to do. I guess at the end of the day, he was right? But yeah, the whole keep left unless overtaking is amazingly annoying.

I can get a speeding fine in a Yaris (or insert name of lame car that can go faster than 50km/h here). Speeding fines apply to anything that go past the speed limit. It's the driver that chooses to speed. I've driven V8s for years (30 in fact, including lots of country driving) and haven't had a speeding fine for at least 5 years, if not longer. If you aren't used to fast acceleration (granted, these things are MUCH faster) you're going to get a speeding ticket if you use the speed. Even my 2 Holdens have a beeper that warns you when you go over a set speed. The M3 has the same beeper. If you set it and don't ignore it, you won't get a fine.

So no acceleration upgrades for newly delivered LR in Australia. 😢
Someone on one of the forums posted an answer he got from Tesla, saying it'll be available once they've finished tweaking/testing it with the new battery pack:

263818796_10166138627700372_1381311833545957360_n.jpg
Wonder if this is why my acceleration boost equipped MY20 LR has not received any software upgrades for the past three months? I am way back on 2021.12.x and missing many improvement for no obvious reason. Perhaps with they next main build after mine 2021.32.x, they started bundling the work in progress AB that will ultimately support the LFP batteries. If they updated me now my AB might not work as intended, so they are blocking me instead.

I already asked US users with AB if they are getting timely updates and the answer was yes. I think no LFP over there in LR. Anyone else in Australia with acceleration boost care to comment if you are are getting recent software updates.