Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

what does your garage charging situation look like?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still a very new Roadster 1.5 owner here, the knee surgery jigsaw puzzle guy. I ran 220+ to my garage (well, my electrician did). Seeking advice on next steps. I do have a Can Sr (and Jr for that matter). Right now I can only charge 110.

Henry would respond to this, but he's on a plane to Austria to drive a Roadster in some electric vehicle race. Sounds incredible! I am not that retired yet. :cool:

Just seeking ideas. I searched this forum for custom rims earlier, looks like not many options. But let's stick to garage charging for now.

Chris

We had an electrician run a 60 amp panel to our detached garage when we purchased a Nissan Leaf. From that we ran a 40 amp circuit to a charging station on the wall closest to the car. Now that we have a Roadster, it charges fine on that same charger.

With the can Sr the cheapest and easiest option is run the largest wires allowable by your 220v. the HPWC is the most reliable and economical way to go as you can turn it up and down as desired. its $500 US new or for that price you can get a black one on the classified part of this site. Then you decide on how much you want to pay for cable, as you have the panel in the garage already you can step up to bigger cable. I got a hot tub circuit and that's usually 6AWG allowing for a 60A breaker and 48A charging rate. or 42 miles every hour. I believe 3AWG copper is sufficient in small runs, but it changes state to state so advice from Canada using electrical knowledge 20 years old in the UK is possibly stale, for a 90A circuit that would give you room for 70A charging or 61 miles every hour. you only need twin and earth so costing is a little cheaper. I think the gains of higher than 50A at home are marginal compared to when you are sitting at a destination charger waiting to get home.

Tesla 24' Wall Charger
for $400

Model S/X/3 Wall Connector
Only saves you $100 on a new (and more importantly warrantied one) direct from Tesla

Last edited:
Thank you very much Xlr8. Nuanced as I expected. Anyone else?

I expressed some of my Tesla 1.0 challenges to my buddy who has a Model S. He said he's noticed since Model 3 it's much harder to get through to Telsa and get good service. Again, noise. Just sharing a data point.

I'd like to know what's charging your Roadster in your garage!!

7F754C8D-544C-4890-BB12-6D7D4CF19693.jpeg
HPWC

I have the same - nice rims too, who makes them?

You should be able to find some public charging stations near you since you have the can sr/jr - try the plugShare app.
I actually don't charge at home very much anymore since my gym installed a destination charger (70A max).

My main panel is located in my detached garage, so it was trivial to run new circuits. Had one NEMA 14-50 outlet with the S's mobile connector plugged into it and shared between both cars. The mobile connector recently failed, so I took the plunge and installed a gen 2 Tesla wall connector on a 100A circuit (fed by 2AWG). The S can pull 80A with its dual chargers and the Roadster can take 70A through the CAN-SR. I also have the Roadster MC240. For fun one night, I had both cars pulling a combined 120A. Was nice to see that the system could handle it, but totally overkill for overnight charging.

What you put in the garage depends on what size wire you used in your 220 (er, 240 really) run. Assuming it's #6 or thicker, the next question is how much charging current do you really need, and what other kinds of cars might you need to charge in the future?

I had been charging for several years from the dryer plug, using the infamously unreliable MC240 mobile connector. While it was working fine, the reliability bothered me, so I figured I should put in something a bit more permanent and save the mobile connector for when I was on the road. I also have a daughter who was getting (now has) a Model 3, so a Roadster-only solution would be short sighted. But, I also realized that the 24 amps I was getting from the dryer plug was ample, so going for the full 70 amps that the Roadster can take was unnecessary.

The end result was to put in a 14-50 outlet, on a 50 amp breaker. The wire I used was about 35 feet of #4, as a future-proofing step, so I could swap out the outlet and breaker for something larger if it became necessary. Into the outlet I plugged an OpenEVSE charger that I attached a 14-50 pigtail to (vs being hard-wired). The OpenEVSE terminates in a J1772 plug, into which I use a Tesla J1772 adapter. Henry's CAN-JR would be fine there too; I have one, but leave it in the car (in the cup, er, CAN holder). I generally set the car's charging to 24 amps, just to be nice to all involved, but can bump it to 40 amps should the need arise. And my daughter can use the J1772 plug with the Model 3's adapter, and I still have the flexibility to use the 14-50 outlet for other things. It's kind of the universal high-power outlet these days.

While I was at it with the electrician, we also threw in a pair of 5-20 GFI outlets on a single run of 12-3 wire, just to have the extra outlets nearby. Cost was materials only, and I did the labor. I can use them at the full 16 amp rate on the yellow cord, as a backup, or for other things. One is now servicing my lawn sprinkler timer.

CAM00873.jpg

I think if everyone believes this to be the holy grail of roadster chargers, then that’s my standard.
View attachment 336295

That car looks sick. What are you, the Wasp? I'm trying to be the Batman with mine. My kids are imploring me to get black rims.

So what is that charger station called? And where did you get those rims (actually if you search for custom rims on this forum you will find the answer).

I'm sorry to ask newb questions, but when it sparks a little thread like this, it's gold. Love the photos. Thank you for the responses. Again, as suspected, highly nuanced.

For EU, the only holy grail is the crOhm EVSE1M63. It's a mobile charger that can take 3 phase 240V 64A.

So for my Roadster: 240V 64A
And for my Model S: 240V 3*16A

The charger connects to every source, with or without neutral or earth. Where my Tesla mobile charger fails in half of the cases, this one always delivers.

IMG_1490_ml.JPG

Lol, yes the black wrap will be coming off eventually, to be honest I’m getting used to it.
As mentioned. 6AWG hot tub salvaged wire, 60A breaker and the Clipper Creak TS-70 with the heart stopping clunk for the uninitiated when it stars to charge. I have #3 from the house to the garage, but I have a large welding plant and so Decided to use the #6 and reduce the charge rate to leave some room. Plus #6 is relatively easy to work with.