TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What does your HPWC (High Power Wall Connector) look like

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Poison Dart Brew, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Poison Dart Brew

Ok, I got a little carried away. Added a couple amp/volt meters, along with a KWH meter so I can see total of what the car uses.

Attached Files:

2. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

Nice looking setup.

3. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

4. BoerumHill

BoerumHill Member

Heh

That's a sweet setup. If you don't mind me asking, would you ballpark how much extra the extras ran you? TIA

5. Poison Dart Brew

The voltage/Amp meters were 12.00, and the KWH meter was 430.00. The KWH meter is very accurate, where as the voltage amp meters are within 1%. I have one amp meter on just the HPWC, and the other amp meter on the main coming into that sub panel. Did the work myself as I have a back ground in this. Links to follow.
    http://www.amazon.com/DROK-Multimeter-Measuring-Resistors-Transformer/dp/B00DVH64HW/ref=sr_1_5?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1439985942&sr=1-5&keywords=drok+amp+meter

http://www.amazon.com/E-Mon-E10-3208100-JKIT-208-240-Electric-SubMeter/dp/B00OSLX6SU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1439985785&sr=8-2&keywords=e-mon

6. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

Re the thread title-- HPWC is High Power Wall Connector, not Charger. The charger is in the car.

7. boonedocks

boonedocks Member

Here's mine!!

DSC_2159.jpg installed.JPG

8. In2oil

In2oil Member

Sweet setup... love it. Have you tally your kwh consumption. It would be interesting to see how much the TESLA does consume while at rest. Again, i really admire your installation. Great work.

9. smilepak

smilepak Member

Anyone put a 14-50 plug on the HPWC?

10. KJD

KJD Member

I like it. How about some more details on your meters?

11. Poison Dart Brew

It cost me 420.00 for the watt hour meter, and 12.00 for the volt/amp meters. Both purchased from Amazon. I tried sending this info with links, but it doesn't seam to go through. I have one amp meter on the HPWC and one on the main feeding the Sub panel. Here is the info with out the links.

E-Mon D-Mon E10-3208100-JKIT Class 1000 1 or 2 Phase, 100A, 120/208-240 Volt kWh Electric SubMeter

DROK® Digital Current Voltage Multimeter AC 100-300V 100A Voltage Amperage Meter, AC Volt Amp Testing Gauge Power Monitor LCD Dual Display Voltage Measuring Current Sensing Resistors with Current Transformer CT

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for correcting me on this. How can we change this in the title of the post?

12. Ampster

Ampster Member

13. Vgsllc1

Vgsllc1 Member

love it thanks for sharing, hopefully i can buy one soon!

14. BoerumHill

BoerumHill Member

Not bad! You can find cheaper ways to monitor but your setup is way cooler.

Only mods can alter thread titles; one might come along and do that for you.

15. Tripple_T

Tripple_T Cincinnati Member

Here is a little different of an install for you. I used hooks to run the cable over the car. When unplugged it hangs at a perfect hight waiting for me to plug in. My area didn't require a disconnect at the HPWC. At least that is what the electrician said.

IMG_1695.JPG.jpeg

16. CleanPower

CleanPower Member

Here is a picture of my setup. The meter cost $26 from Hialeah Meter. They recondition meters. It looks brand new to me.
    I pulled two cables from the subpanel at the back of the garage through the ceiling. One for the HPWC and another for a 14-50 outlet.

As you can tell from the 0 kWh reading, I'm still waiting for my Model S to arrive.

HPWC Installation.jpg

17. Buzzz

Buzzz Member

Here is my compact setup.

a403dff2466020c3c552569846078e38.jpg

18. CleanPower

CleanPower Member

Wow, that is tight!

19. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

Excellent... that's about what mine will end up having to look like when I relocate it...

Any tips on installation?

20. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Yes - see those side boards on the outside surface of the door tracks? You need those, or the cable just becomes a mess and sticks out in the door opening.

The LR conduit body shown is a tough cookie, but with enough swearing you'll get the wire in there, turned into the HPWC, connected, and cover on. :) Don't use an LB body on its side in this application because the cover must be accessible - and I don't think it would be in this case.

LR:
    lr17cg_tc1_3d.jpg

LB:
    series35_tc1_1.jpg