Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What does your HPWC (High Power Wall Connector) look like

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is a picture of my setup. The meter cost $26 from Hialeah Meter. They recondition meters. It looks brand new to me.
I pulled two cables from the subpanel at the back of the garage through the ceiling. One for the HPWC and another for a 14-50 outlet.

As you can tell from the 0 kWh reading, I'm still waiting for my Model S to arrive.

View attachment 91224

So so cool and retro looking with the reconditioned meter.
Thanks so much for the info!

old charger.jpg

You like Retro?

Retro looking? I still have one of those on my house, they had to go from the digital meter back to it for net metering with my solar! :)

I'm having solar installed any day, maybe I can get an extra meter from my power company for the garage or ask their local source. Now that I have the price page from Hialeah I won't let them charge me $300 for the new meter for the solar if they need one. :biggrin:

"Retro" isn't a dirty word! Maybe I should have said "classic"... With the demographics of Tesla customers, I guess some of us might not like the term "retro", although I resemble that remark myself...

I bought one of these for a (not yet built) EVSE project:

AC 100A 22KW Monitor Watt Energy Voltage Current Power Meter Module | eBay

If the link is dead, search for "100A voltage current power meter" or the like. Seller was electronics_lee, $12.99. 100A current transformer included. I did a quick test and it seems to work fine. It measures AC voltage, current, power, run time, and kWh used.

"Retro" isn't a dirty word! Maybe I should have said "classic"... With the demographics of Tesla customers, I guess some of us might not like the term "retro", although I resemble that remark myself...

I once accompanied my boys into the shoe store - I was wearing a pair of basic Nike sneakers - and the store employee came up to see what I needed. He looked down and said "oh, the retro look, you like that?" It was a bit of a head-scratcher. "Classic" works better for me - retro implies more of the hipster drinking a Pabst.

IMG_1007.jpg

Still in Production Queue

Model S P90D, Range Upgrade, Titanium Metallic Paint,
All Glass Panoramic Roof,19" Wheels, Tan Next Generation Seats, Glossy Obeche Wood Décor, White Alcantara Headliner, Carbon Fiber Spoiler, Tesla Red Brake Calipers,Autopilot Convenience Features, Premium Interior and Lighting,Smart Air Suspension, Ultra High Fidelity Sound, Dual Chargers

I saw someone had one of those old vintage gas pumps converted to electric charging - I always thought that would be a cool way to charge :)

I haven't gotten around to my project yet. I have a 1937 Wayne 70 pump that I purchased from an auction. I plan to strap an HPWC to the inside and route the cable out the hose fitting. That's the easy part - the difficult part is figuring out where it's going (without being in the way), putting some conduit down, then pouring a platform for it to sit upon. Things are tight in my garage the way it is.

10154517_10202796474226192_6211071149694335567_n.jpg

(Shown without the glass globe mounted. Needs a few pieces of glass, but contains the original pump and motor and wiring, and lights up when you apply power.)

I got the electrician to install a NEMA 14-50 off the 50a, if I get this can I do either

1. Retrofit HPWC with a 14-50 plug

or

2. Splice the 14-50 outlet into HPWC?

- - - Updated - - -

that is interesting setup. Can u provide wiring guide to this. Might be something worth looking it

That's cool what did you use to switch between the HPWC and NEMA 14-50? Assuming the HPWC is set to charge at 40 amps.

50 Amp feed to a Siemens DPDT transfer switch ( inside the building ). From there, either the NEMA 14-50 or the HPWC is live. Both cannot be on. Of note, I have a 50 amp Spa panel on the HPWC, as it's a requirement in Ontario Canada to have a manual means of disconnect within sight. I wanted both so I can be useful on Plugshare. There are VERY few spots to charge between Toronto and Collingwood or Owen Sound (both are tourist areas)

Will post a chicken scratch diagram later