Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Don't You Like About Your Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh, I agree that the I3 is ugly as hell, but the Model S front is still funny looking. Still drive them both. Well, the I3 until next week when it gets replaced by the funny looking Bolt.

Why would you commit to a lease or purchase of a Bolt with a Model 3 not that far off from the future?

Bolt looks better than an i3 but we are splitting hairs when we are comparing one baggers vs three baggers.

Or an i3 is a 2 at 10 and a 10 at 2. Bolt is a 4 at 10 and 10 at one.

Ugly and uglier is not a good contest and no winners.

Why would you commit to a lease or purchase of a Bolt with a Model 3 not that far off from the future?

Bolt looks better than an i3 but we are splitting hairs when we are comparing one baggers vs three baggers.

Or an i3 is a 2 at 10 and a 10 at 2. Bolt is a 4 at 10 and 10 at one.

Ugly and uglier is not a good contest and no winners.

I have a reservation for a Model 3, but by the time my reservation number comes up and the options I want become available it will be at least two years, and I need a car now. Besides I need to carry lots of sporting equipment to the beach and the Model 3 won't cut it, so the wife will get it to replace the P85D which is too big for her.

I don't like how when I'm backing out of my garage the Homelink drop down menu shows up with all of the doors that I have programmed into it. The drop down menu blocks my view of the backup camera. Does anyone know how to get rid of this without deleting any of the doors or having to move the camera view to the bottom half every time I back out of my garage?

I hate this as well. Wish they would fix it.

Kool Aid drinkers stay away! These comments should be taken as constructive criticisms to help Tesla improve their products so that those who see these as problems would stay with Tesla rather than switch to other makes.

I'll start:
Funny front end.
Self presenting handles. Annoying and unnecessary complexity.
No grab handles, no door pockets.
Regen level too low. Add option to bring car to a complete stop. Other than at the track I like driving my I3 better than the P85D.
Autopilot. Useless for me. Develop 99.99 reliable AEB, then waste time on autopilot.
Falcon Wing doors. Enough said

OK been an owner for 6 mos

Seriously bad music org on usb
'0' phone support other than basic bluetooth
"o" voice control support
mediocre sound system

OK been an owner for 6 mos

Seriously bad music org on usb
'0' phone support other than basic bluetooth
"o" voice control support
mediocre sound system

The voice control in the S is the only one I have ever found to be useful. I can tell it to call people and it works. I can ask "Where is" xxx and it navigates to it. The calendar sync works amazingly well I love that I can have a location for an event and just tap it on the screen to initiate navigation. I agree on the USB organization. I have a full body roof and I'm happy with the sound system. Also can use the phone menu on the screen to dial and push buttons which is beyond basic bluetooth.

• The lack of a 3.5 mm auxiliary jack in the entertainment system for use with my MP3 player, which is very frustrating for me.
Does your MP3 player have a USB interface that essentially allows it to be treated as a thumb drive that could be plugged into your Model S? I recall some MP3 players having that feature. In our case, we've found it convenient to copy a large collection of MP3s onto a 32GB USB thumb drive that gets left in the car. Coupling with our phones also mostly works well (and need not be a driving distraction if done responsibly), though I'm not eager to use up storage space on my phone for oodles of music/audio. Probably the best reason to couple with our phones is to listen to podcasts. All of that said, I agree that a plain old analog audio input jack would be worth adding, perhaps right next to the USB ports. Such things are cheap and easy enough to do that they're worthwhile even if used by only a fraction of all owners.

In general, we've been very, very happy with our Model S. But I do have a couple of minor gripes/wishes:

1. We'd like a more robust, even if less elegant, charge port setup. As I've shared elsewhere, we park outdoors where things sometimes get coated with ice and snow. With the Model S in these conditions, I feel that I have to be super careful to avoid damaging the charge port door. By contrast, our Nissan LEAF's charge port system has been worry-free for six years.

2. The third row, rear facing seats are great. But they need more ventilation. (Our makeshift solution was to buy a 12V fan and extension cord.)

Posts like this really make be consider cancelling my M3 reservation.
If the flagship MS is squeakly and rattly, what will the new lower budget M3s be like?
I could maybe tolerate the overcrowded superchargers, I could maybe overlook the stupid giant touchscreen and lack of real physical controls, I could forgive the lack of any instrumentation in front of the driver, and I could maybe ignore some rattles and squeaks, and all the frequent repairs owners have to bring their cars in for because of all the unnecessary whizbang technology, but cumulatively, I can't overlook ALL of it.

Sounds like you don't like anything about the car. If you get the car and then complain it'll be like ordering chocolate ice cream and then complaining about the taste because you don't like chocolate.I think it best that you stick to vanilla.

By far my favorite car I've ever owned or driven, but still not without some annoyances.

Number 1 is the headrest. In 8.1 they finally gave us manual control of it - but it needs to go about an inch above the top of the adjustment range to not dig into my upper back.

I have ventilated seats, but they really don't do anything - you can barely tell the difference on the hottest of days.

I wish the car handled USB music better, and/or had better integration for phone apps for music.

Even on the most aggressive setting, the rain sensing wipers really aren't aggressive enough for my taste.

The heated steering wheel is a wonderful thing - but why can't the car remember it was on like it does my seat?

There's probably not much to be done about it, but the lack of regen on a cold battery pack is annoying.

• Informative
Reactions: SocalMS
Sounds like you don't like anything about the car. If you get the car and then complain it'll be like ordering chocolate ice cream and then complaining about the taste because you don't like chocolate.I think it best that you stick to vanilla.
Sometimes you just have to ignore people. Almost every one of his posts here is ranting about the lack of knobs, the advanced tech in a $100k car or some gripe about Tesla in general.

Sometimes you just have to ignore people. Almost every one of his posts here is ranting about the lack of knobs, the advanced tech in a $100k car or some gripe about Tesla in general.
I'm not sure encouraging a growing company to ignore popular consumer opinions is the way to go. Especially if your stated goal is to convert as many people as possible to drive electric. The smarter strategy would be to make your cars as reliable, affordable, and widely accepted as possible. This means investing in reliability and quality control instead of the latest uneeded techology you can imagine.

I'm not sure encouraging a growing company to ignore popular consumer opinions is the way to go. Especially if your stated goal is to convert as many people as possible to drive electric. The smarter strategy would be to make your cars as reliable, affordable, and widely accepted as possible. This means investing in reliability and quality control instead of the latest uneeded techology you can imagine.
Come on man, you are complaining about rattles on a car you dont even own.

Biggest one, is that the car is made by Tesla, and not a company which values its customers. We are all just walking checkbooks to them.
Care to elaborate what makes you feel we're walking checkbooks to Tesla more so than to any other car maker?

Compared to my experiences with previous cars (Toyota and Ford, non-luxury), I must say that Tesla has impressed me so far. Staff at the SeC actually remember me, some call me by my first name, ask why I "didn't bring the kids this time". One of the sales guys even remembered the exact config he ordered for me. All part of their training, perhaps, but it feels a lot more personal than my experiences at Toyota and Ford dealerships.

• Disagree
Two features that my wife's Toyota Rav4 has that I really like:

The downward looking surround view.
This is extremely handy in parking. I'm able to maintain a better distance between cars and can check to see how far into a slot I am. I have readjusted my parking several times with the aid of the surround view.

Improved cell phone interface.
The Rav4 not only has the contacts and telephone operations (microphone and speaker), it also interfaces with the more common text messages. A notice appears on the dash to either ignore or accept the text message. Should you agree to accept the text messaage - the screen also displays the sender - the system reads the text to you. Once I have gottten used to it, I can either accept or reject the text at my convenience when it is safe, and then I can listen to the text message, keeping my eyes on the road.

• Informative
Care to elaborate what makes you feel we're walking checkbooks to Tesla more so than to any other car maker?

Compared to my experiences with previous cars (Toyota and Ford, non-luxury), I must say that Tesla has impressed me so far. Staff at the SeC actually remember me, some call me by my first name, ask why I "didn't bring the kids this time". One of the sales guys even remembered the exact config he ordered for me. All part of their training, perhaps, but it feels a lot more personal than my experiences at Toyota and Ford dealerships.
It sounds like you are putting some value in a dealership type experience. in 2008 I randomly went to a local Ford dealer just to look, ended up buying a crew cab F150 on a whim,
and the salesman ended up being one of my best friends. The only problem I ever had was the alternator going out a year ago. he met me at the dealership at 1am(i was just traveling
through town at the time) I was on the road again the next evening. I live a few hundred miles away now, but still gonna buy from him.

I didn't know what to make of my Tesla test drive. Salesman was knowledgeable and personable, but when I would ask about prices or options he kept recommending that I investigate
through the website. Maybe this new type of 'dealership' experience is new to me, but that really rubbed me the wrong way.

glad to hear that they know you. I can't imagine ordering a car online and not having a face/name as a point of contact.

I didn't know what to make of my Tesla test drive. Salesman was knowledgeable and personable, but when I would ask about prices or options he kept recommending that I investigate
through the website. Maybe this new type of 'dealership' experience is new to me, but that really rubbed me the wrong way.
I see, interesting. That too was quite opposite for me. They guided me through all the options using one of the big touchscreens in the showroom and also gave me battery size recommendations based on my driving description and so forth. This is in The Netherlands, Europe, btw, for what it's worth.

glad to hear that they know you. I can't imagine ordering a car online and not having a face/name as a point of contact.
so you embrace the touchy feely make a new buddy aspect of the transaction.
the tesla person did all he could to sell the car and steered you to the site where you could have built your version of the car and had instant pricing and one button to hit to complete the order after making the down payment. that sounds pretty good versus the dealership two step that can take hours of negotiations. I guess that you and your salesman at the ford store had a lot of get acquainted time during the process.
if that is the experience that you desire I am fairly certain that as long as the tesla shop wasn't busy they'd have spent as much time with you as you wanted. many tesla buyers never even step foot into the tesla store, they go online and buy the car.
if the purchasing experience is your only issue with the tesla consider yourself to be lucky. enjoy your car and stop by any tesla store they're usually always willing to chit chat with people.