Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Don't You Like About Your Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Care to elaborate what makes you feel we're walking checkbooks to Tesla more so than to any other car maker?

Because only Tesla would dare to take (and keep) money from customers for features that aren't working yet (even on prototypes). Only Tesla would dare take (and keep) a non-refundable $2,500 deposit for a car that isn't even built yet.

The car is good for what it is (an EV that drives well enough compared to an ICE car) but the overall buying and ownership experience gets an F from me. Sales people were super nice (and I'd grab beers with them anytime), but I don't care much about that I don't buy a car to make friends.

BTW - I like conjunctions and parentheses

I didn't know what to make of my Tesla test drive. Salesman was knowledgeable and personable, but when I would ask about prices or options he kept recommending that I investigate
through the website. Maybe this new type of 'dealership' experience is new to me, but that really rubbed me the wrong way.
I don't know if it's allowed in your state but in many states, it is against the law for them to discuss prices with you. They must refer you to the website in those states. Don't blame Tesla for this. It's the state laws and state dealer associations which prevent them from providing this information.

Reactions: Petra and neroden
you must have never ordered a car built to your specs from a traditional auto maker.

False

In addition to cars purchased off the lot and used cars I have owned, I have custom-ordered several cars in the last 5 years, each with an MSRP > $135,000. And by "traditional" I assume you mean non-Tesla or internet based.

Last edited:
False

In addition to cars purchased off the lot and used cars I have owned, I have custom-ordered several cars in the last 5 years, each with an MSRP > $135,000. And by "traditional" I assume you mean non-Tesla or internet based.
are you saying that you ordered a car from a traditional dealership that had to be built for you and that you weren't required to give a deposit?

are you saying that you ordered a car from a traditional dealership that had to be built for you and that you weren't required to give a deposit?

No, I'm saying the deposit was refundable for any reason whatsoever even after the car arrived and I test drove it if I didn't like it or changed my mind at the last minute. I'm also saying that all of the features were present at delivery.

Reactions: neroden
I don't like how my Tesla begs me to drive it when I walk by with the fob in my pocket. It makes me feel so sad because I want to drive it, but I have other things I need to do. I promise it that I will drive it soon, but it stays perked up until I walk away and then the spoiler and mirrors sadly tuck away knowing I am not taking it out for a drive at that time.

Sounds like you made a $155,000 car purchase without test driving it or doing your homework. I think you should just sell it and cut your losses. You sound miserable.

No actually I did do my homework. I figured I could overlook the shitty parts of the car if I could sit back, relax, and let the thing drive me hundreds of miles on the 5 FWY at least as good, but purportedly way better than the earlier AP1 car I test drove over 1 year prior.

Since it can't do that, and probably never will, I'm hyper-sensitive to all of its flaws. I could have overlooked a lot of poor design choices and cheap construction if AP2 actually worked properly. That's Tesla's fault for scamming me and ruining the car for me, not mine. For that, they turned one of their biggest advocates into a vocal critic.

Last edited:
Dudes, stop arguing with people about what they don't like. This thread is for listing complaints, justified or not. It's what people feel. If you can't stand to see criticism, maybe this thread isn't for you.

So, first, I love my car, but it has flaws like any other car.

If any other car maker were to make a compatible EV, I would take a serious look. For instance, I took a Bolt test drive - if you want that size car, that's a nice car the check out!

My list:

I wish it had GPS aware auto lock so it wouldn't auto lock in my garage.

I hate the falcon wing doors on my X.

Auto open door is frustrating - every time I walk past it in my garage (I guess Elon doesn't use his garage for anything other than parking?), it opens.

Both Model S and X door handles are annoying in their own way.

Either remove the web browser or bring it up to 2017 standards.

Fix the nav so that it doesn't think local streets have no traffic lights. It thinks you can drive average the speed limit on local streets!

Bring back the old UI where I don't have to tap more than once to select an icon.

Allow regen to bring car to a stop.

What don't I like?
-- The music system for playing from USB is really very bad
-- They've broken lots of things repeatedly in software updates and they haven't fixed them (I have started to refuse ALL updates) -- the "new UI" was a complete disaster
-- There are no local or even near-local service centers
-- They refuse to release manuals so that independent shops can do the work
-- They don't fix bugs
-- They don't answer phone calls
-- They're actually pirating large portions of their software

... I guess most of this is service, though the software engineering practices are also awful. (I could get the software engineering practices fixed in a month if Musk gave me a free hand. It's disgraceful. Do they even have a bug tracking system?)

• Informative
Reactions: SocalMS and oktane
Please explain further?
Well, they use large portions of GPL code and are yet to comply with the licensing requirements (= provide source code).
It's been several years since they were first approached about their non-compliance and yet they are still infringing...
And this is only stuff we know about. How much of less public stuff they infringe on? One can only guess.

• Informative
Reactions: oktane
What don't I like?
-
-- There are no local or even near-local service centers
were not you aware of this when you purchased the car?
in my case I bought my first car in late '14, I was told that they were planning on opening a service center in my city, it even had a pin showing a location in town. then the pin disappeared and for 2+ years radio silence. then they opened a gallery store in town and still radio silence. finally early this year the long overdue service center opened.
I am posting this because you are complaining about a situation you knew existed yet you still went ahead with the purchase. In my case the missing service center was more egregious because they represented that the opening of the local service center was imminent yet it was more than 2 years before it became a reality.
enjoy your car and be aware if something requires immediate service they will come to you, get the car, fix the car and return the car to you.