Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What drives AP1 "Hold Steering Wheel" prompt timeframes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed that my AP1 prompts me for the usual "Hold Steering Wheel" with different spans of time in between each prompt. And I haven't been able to find a solid correlation between variables for it myself. Wondering if anyone here knows how the Model-S decides when to prompt the driver, while AP1 is on?

For example, when sitting in slow-moving traffic, often times my car goes 15-20 minutes without prompting me to hold the wheel. However, when driving normally, sometimes I get prompted within 3-5 minutes and sometimes even within 60 seconds, regardless of how fast I am going!

I've found no solid correlation to my actual speed or distance being covered (other than the fact that in slow moving traffic it prompts me less). And my speed limit settings are set to 4mph over limit; I rarely ever manually increase the limit with the gas pedal when on AP. I do often up the max speed with the AP-stalk though. This does not automatically induce a prompt, however.

So, the times between prompts appear to be sporadic and all over the place for me, as far as I can tell.

I must admit I don't have those search skills, but in any event it happens:

- more or less whenever you want to change lanes;
- halfway sharp turns;
- when car starts waving, e.g. after the crest of a hill;
- when AP (erroneously or not) decides autosteer should be limited to x km/h and you overrule that by using the accelerator pedal for more than 20 seconds or so.

Otherwise, in stop-and-go traffic hardly ever and on highways every 3-5 minutes as you say (you grow a habit of doing it yourself before AP nags you - problem is, I now sometimes do it with my wide's Mini as well, which gets me strange looks from passengers :)).

img_0318-jpg.231972

Source:NTSB report on fatal Joshua Brown accident in Florida

That time frame seems way more generous than what I get on AP2. If I recall, I always get promoted every minute. I hope it will increase in the future as I have to giggle the wheel for it to think I am holding the wheel.
Lol, nice disagree on that post.

That infographic was for AP1 at the time of the accident. Tesla makes about a dozen changes a day (tongue in cheek), so who knows what it is now.

Reactions: David99
This is clearly software controlled. I get nags way more often than that (old) report says, and they come regularly like clockwork when driving above what the car thinks is speed limit.

Perhaps Tesla changed things up a bit after the Brown accident...

(AP1 btw)

• Informative
Reactions: David99
This is clearly software controlled. I get nags way more often than that (old) report says, and they come regularly like clockwork when driving above what the car thinks is speed limit.

Perhaps Tesla changed things up a bit after the Brown accident...

(AP1 btw)
You get nags more often than every 60 seconds? :confused:

There are other things that trigger nags, like hitting the accelerator while in AP (not listed in the infographic).

I like to grip my hand on the lower part of the steering wheel to rest my shoulders and often I will still get the warning but never if gripping the top of the wheel. Maybe have a "dead area" on the bottom of the wheel? Or do others experience this. Mine is a 2015 Model S with AP version 1.

I rest my left hand at the bottom of the steering wheel and rarely get prompts to hold the wheel. I have 2014 P85D AP1. I don't think there are sensors on the wheel itself. I believe it's a torque sensing mechanism for the entire wheel.