TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What effect will Tesla Energy have on car sales?

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by Cattledog, May 4, 2015.

1. Cattledog

Cattledog Active Member

How much effect do people think the sister company, Tesla Energy, will have on car sales? None? Or some? Or a lot?

I think some. This interesting post highlights that people are intrigued:

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015 - Page 606

When you add it to other videos about the debut of Tesla Energy, you get over 2M views in the past 4 days.

In that 2M are some people who had ever heard of Tesla before, some who had vaguely and are now more intrigued, some who had who now have more confidence, some who will use this as an entry into a Tesla product, some who were on the fence for a car and now lean ever so slightly and fall into yes, etc.

I think the net effect of that is that Tesla will have more people interested in buying their cars than if they hadn't started Tesla Energy. So while Tesla Energy will obviously be good for the energy part of TSLA, I think it will also be good for the auto part of TSLA. And for whatever other parts of TSLA that we don't yet know about.:wink:

2. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

While I agree that it can create brand awareness and spark interest in the cars, we have to remeber Elon and Deepak's "mantra" from the several last earning calls: "We are production constrained, not demand constrained". In other words Tesla will sell the cars that can build for the next few years to come, with or without interest sparked from the Tesla Energy division.

3. Cattledog

Cattledog Active Member

I think they are starting to build demand for the Gigafactory, both with PowerWall/Pack and cars, mostly Gen 3. 15 gWh from plant to storage, 35 gWh to cars. They also will not be shuttering Panasonic's plants in Asia - they will be contributing 5-10 gWh per year as well. So not hard to see that 35 gWh essentially takes care of 500k of cars. Not in 2017, but by 2020 according to Elon. Sooner than it seems.
    Getting people excited about owning one of Tesla's family of energy storage products - stationary or mobile - can't start too soon.

4. jhm

jhm Active Member

Depending on how Tesla and others innovate around their Power product line, it could improve the economics and experience of owning a Tesla vehicle. I am hoping Tesla will introduce a DC wall charger. Such a device could be plug-and-play with Powerwall. It could serve as a bidirectional inverter connecting home, car and Powerwall. So you can charge your car with batter boost if your utility connection is limited. Or it can provide backup power to your home from both Powerwall and potentially your vehicle. Such options make owning a Tesla more attractive and a better economic value.

Additionally it is interesting how competion in the stationary storage space will push battery makers to make better and cheaper batteries. I'm waiting for someone to make a comparison between the Powerwall battery and the batteries in the Leaf or i3. What would it mean if the PW battery was actually better and cheaper? Very well this competition could advance batteries faster than foot dragging automakers may like, but this hasten sustainable transport.