Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What efficiency should Tesla aim for the Model III?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In MPGe terms, any combined rating under 100 would be disappointing in my view. Realistically, I think it's going to come in between 105-110 combined, with only a small differential between the city/highway ratings.

A combined rating in the 110-120 range would be a welcome accomplishment, as that is the range currently occupied by the Nissan LEAF (112/114) and e-Golf (116), each of which has a 24-30kWh pack, weighs about 3400 pounds and is tuned more for efficiency than performance. The BMW i3 (non-REx) has a performance profile much closer to what I'd expect out of a Model 3, but its top-notch 124 MPGe rating owes a lot to its tiny curb weight (~2700 pounds). That's going to be a hard number to match or beat.

If a Model S60 weighs about 4500 pounds, I'd expect a Model 3-60 to weigh about 3900 pounds, due to the ~20% reduction in size and partial replacement of aluminum with steel. At that weight, with much better Cd than the EVs listed above and a slight performance bias, a combined rating just under 110 seems about right, per my fuzzy math.