Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Else Are You Considering?

What Else Are You Considering?

• Model Y

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Model 3

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Rivian

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • Porsche

Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Other

Votes: 4 14.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My ranting can be found in various MX and MS threads, so I won't bore anyone with my story. To summarize, I have been with Tesla since the beginning. Over the years, I have been frustrated with Tesla for a variety of small to medium issues, but nothing that has compelled me to stop being a loyal customer. However, the latest set of frustrations has tipped me over the edge (quickly sold my P100D because I was told refresh was imminent; further told I would be "grandfathered" to original price, which turned out to be false; now have no Tesla in my garage and very much regret selling my X; there is more, but, like I said, I won't bore everyone), and I feel like it's death by a thousand cuts. So I am officially fed up and considering alternatives.

So, with that preamble, I'd like to hear others' thoughts on what alternatives to a refreshed Model X you have or would consider? Please post your prior Tesla experience and what you are considering.

My thoughts: I have owned several Model S and one Model X P100D. The X may be the most enjoyable car I have ever owned. I am currently considering a Model Y or waiting for Rivian's R1S. Will I regret not having the performance of a Model X over a Y? Rivian is a totally different concept, but looks compelling. It's rugged and spacious, but also does 0-60 in 3sec. Range is supposed to be comparable to a MX. Have concerns about a startup, but I supported a startup called Tesla back in 2012.

My issue has been needing 350+ miles range. Not many choices now but will be soon. Also, as I investigate further, I may be able to go lower on range which will open up several potentials available now.

Lack of customer respect presale tells me how they will treat me once they have my money.

Reactions: glide and jbrowdy
I had an R1T 400+ mile max pack but it is a January 2022+ delivery for that version. Rivian was nice enough to move me back to the R1S launch edition that starts August 2021 deliveries. Need a new car this Aug-Dec really and was looking at another X too. The R1S launch edition promises 300+ miles of range which is less on paper than the Tesla X's 360 miles, but Tesla really overstates range a LOT we know. I'm hoping that the R1T/S as they start to come out in June validate that the 300+ is a decent amount over 300 and they are closer to a true 300. I'd love it to be say 310-320 miles and be close to 300 still real-world but we'll see. Either way, after living with the 90D X that started max with like 235 stated but closer to 190 in true range (100%) the 300 will still feel like a luxury.

The R1S looks pretty amazing too, it's dimensions are much bigger than the X, closer to our Ford F150 in height and length. The 7 seat version we ordered should fit 7 pretty comfortably when needed and like their much larger Frunk space (which is also power up and down). I think I'll use it a lot more with that versus having to be so delicate closing it on the X with two hands. Their interior looks way more luxurious than the X and practical at the same time, and doesn't have the complexity of the FWDs which I don't think I'll miss. That all and its MUCH more capable it seems off road, wading, in adjustable height, etc.

If for some reason that doesn't come through, may still go with the X, but for now my primary plan is the R1S now.

Icing on the cake is Rivian seems great to deal with so far in preorder process. I've talked to them already a couple times and they are very responsive. We should have "guides" dedicated to us when deliveries start, etc.

I had an R1T 400+ mile max pack but it is a January 2022+ delivery for that version. Rivian was nice enough to move me back to the R1S launch edition that starts August 2021 deliveries. Need a new car this Aug-Dec really and was looking at another X too. The R1S launch edition promises 300+ miles of range which is less on paper than the Tesla X's 360 miles, but Tesla really overstates range a LOT we know. I'm hoping that the R1T/S as they start to come out in June validate that the 300+ is a decent amount over 300 and they are closer to a true 300. I'd love it to be say 310-320 miles and be close to 300 still real-world but we'll see. Either way, after living with the 90D X that started max with like 235 stated but closer to 190 in true range (100%) the 300 will still feel like a luxury.

The R1S looks pretty amazing too, it's dimensions are much bigger than the X, closer to our Ford F150 in height and length. The 7 seat version we ordered should fit 7 pretty comfortably when needed and like their much larger Frunk space (which is also power up and down). I think I'll use it a lot more with that versus having to be so delicate closing it on the X with two hands. Their interior looks way more luxurious than the X and practical at the same time, and doesn't have the complexity of the FWDs which I don't think I'll miss. That all and its MUCH more capable it seems off road, wading, in adjustable height, etc.

If for some reason that doesn't come through, may still go with the X, but for now my primary plan is the R1S now.

Icing on the cake is Rivian seems great to deal with so far in preorder process. I've talked to them already a couple times and they are very responsive. We should have "guides" dedicated to us when deliveries start, etc.
I have pretty much used the same logic. In my case, I had a P100 D MX and I got 275 or so miles of range, but never really pushed it that far. 300+ would be fine with me.

I have reservations on both, but based on the way Tesla has treated me over the years, strongly leaning towards the Rivian. Just have to be a little more patient to get there…

EQS looking great, if SUV is more your thing Rivian for sure. However after all the issues Tesla has with quality and service i doubt another startup will be better. So etron 55, RS or EQS will be my next picks, fed up with the road noise and the constsnt need for little things that need fixing and waste my time.

Reactions: CDT and 07e92