Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What else can break on my 2014 Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We're the 3rd owners of a 2014 Model S 85. We got the car in late 2020. The previous owner replaced the battery and fixed the suspensions in 2018. We bought it with 180,000 kms and now it has 200,000 kms.

A few months after we bought the car, we had a control arm break. When Tesla fixed the control arm, they had to fix all the suspensions. 6 months after the control arm failure, we had to replace all the brakes, including the parking brake, because the parking brake would not release. And now, a year after the brakes were fixed, the drive unit broke.

From reading forums, it seems like replacing a control arm, brakes, and drive unit on an almost 10 year old Tesla is normal. Some would say "to be expected". My question to all drivers with old Tesla's: what else can I expect to break in the future? Or is the worst over with?

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
I mean, it’s an old car from a startup automaker, all sorts of stuff can break. Some higher likelihood possibilities include:

HV battery
Drive unit
Suspension
Door handles
AC compressor
Onboard charger
DC/DC converter
Infotainment computer and screens
Rear hatch latching mechanism
Active aero louvers in the front bumper
Pano sunroof if equipped

… I’m sure there’s more I’m forgetting.

I mean, it’s an old car from a startup automaker, all sorts of stuff can break. Some higher likelihood possibilities include:

HV battery
Drive unit
Suspension
Door handles
AC compressor
Onboard charger
DC/DC converter
Infotainment computer and screens
Rear hatch latching mechanism
Active aero louvers in the front bumper
Pano sunroof if equipped

… I’m sure there’s more I’m forgetting.
Thanks.

We have door handle and AC issues, so you're on the right track.

That is where we are at. And it wasn't that cheap either.

Sorry to hear that. And there are so many people that normally buy $20k Civics and drive them for 15 years without much expense for repairs that are setting themselves up for failure stretching themselves for $40k EV’s that will be out of battery and drive unit warranty within 5 years with all their driving. They will be in a lot of pain when the battery and drive unit repair bills hit after paying double or triple for all the normal stuff like tires and windshields and all the stuff that will break after the 4 year/50k mile warranty is gone after 3 year of their driving.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cooloke
Based on my deep involvement with the BMS_u029 "casualty" community, I'm finding a current consumer buying cycle in which the 2012-14 Model S's are to be had in the $25-$35k range. As such, those current consumers that have always wanted a Model S feel that can afford them. Especially when they know many of the same Model S's they are buying originally went for over $100k.

However, those same current consumers do not have the budget for repairs that have gone as high as $15-$20k for a replacement out of warranty high voltage battery. As @TLLMRRJ stated, these older Model S's are not the same as used ICE cars with similar mileage that we have come to expect to last many more trouble free miles.

Last edited:
2016 Tesla Model S owner here (the picture was my older 2014 P85+ - which I bought 6 years ago now). The 2016 is much more reliable than the 2014 I had.

I bought the 2016 certified pre-owned a little over 4 years ago at 35 000 kms, I've had almost no issue for the first 4 years of ownership (went to the service center only twice and for very small issues) but since January I've been 6 times, all out of warranty (which ended at 118 000 kilometers 6 months ago).

My right rear suspension (the lower control arm, specifically) broke unexpectedly while driving and so the service center had to pretty much redo the full suspension (rear and front) and the direction components. That cost me 7k - the air suspension has not been replaced and still works very well. The front brakes have been replaced for 1.7k (normal wear and tear). I've had the heating elements replaced for around 2.5k, the air conditioning 2 weeks later for 2.5k and 1 door handle for 400$. Now I have the parking brake that is not engaging correctly and I'm expecting a 1k bill. All of this is in canadian dollars but it's still around 12-13k.

I wouldn't say the car is unreliable... but I would say that you must expect around 5k in repairs yearly. Now the good news is that the battery and drive unit are still in excellent shape and could very well last for multiple years to come. The other elements that have been changed will quite probably last 4-5 years so I've decided to keep the car and since it's paid I'm still saving around 5000$ to 6000$ yearly in gas (which is more expensive here in Canada). I also think that when I decide to sell the car there will still be a certain residual value. Also, one of the reasons I'm keeping the car is simply because there is no real other alternative (in terms of comfort and pleasure to drive) than another newer tesla model S which, in my mind, doesn't really offer something more than my actual car.

Yes, expect maintenance. But is it worth it? Absolutely.

Edit: I subscribed to a third party insurance that covers certain elements. It cost me 3000$ 4 months ago and they've already reimbursed 3000$. The coverage is good for a lot of things other than regular wear and tear and is still good for 4 years, unlimited mileage. This warranty would cover the computer/screen, the pano roof, the air suspension and a bunch of latches (rear, front, etc.). It also extends my battery and drive unit warranty for 1 year (so I still have 2 years left).

Sorry to hear that. And there are so many people that normally buy $20k Civics and drive them for 15 years without much expense for repairs that are setting themselves up for failure stretching themselves for $40k EV’s that will be out of battery and drive unit warranty within 5 years with all their driving. They will be in a lot of pain when the battery and drive unit repair bills hit after paying double or triple for all the normal stuff like tires and windshields and all the stuff that will break after the 4 year/50k mile warranty is gone after 3 year of their driving.
Before the Model S, we drove Subaru's, and like you said, drove them for 15 years without much issue. This Tesla is not that, we are finding out.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Based on my deep involvement with the BMS_u029 "casualty" community, I'm finding a current consumer buying cycle in which the 2012-14 Model S's are to be had in the $25-$35k range. As such, those current consumers that have always wanted a Model S feel that can afford them. Especially when they know many of the same Model S's they are buying originally went for over $100k.

However, those same current consumers do not have the budget for repairs that have gone as high as $15-$20k for a replacement out of warranty high voltage battery. As @TLLMRRJ stated, these older Model S's are not the same as used ICE cars with similar mileage that we have come to expect to last many more trouble free miles.
I appreciate the reminder about what the car originally cost. It is comforting, somehow...

The thing that is dawning on us now is how much of a financial risk this car purchase was when we did it. We had no idea.

Reactions: NV Ray
2016 Tesla Model S owner here (the picture was my older 2014 P85+ - which I bought 6 years ago now). The 2016 is much more reliable than the 2014 I had.

I bought the 2016 certified pre-owned a little over 4 years ago at 35 000 kms, I've had almost no issue for the first 4 years of ownership (went to the service center only twice and for very small issues) but since January I've been 6 times, all out of warranty (which ended at 118 000 kilometers 6 months ago).

My right rear suspension (the lower control arm, specifically) broke unexpectedly while driving and so the service center had to pretty much redo the full suspension (rear and front) and the direction components. That cost me 7k - the air suspension has not been replaced and still works very well. The front brakes have been replaced for 1.7k (normal wear and tear). I've had the heating elements replaced for around 2.5k, the air conditioning 2 weeks later for 2.5k and 1 door handle for 400$. Now I have the parking brake that is not engaging correctly and I'm expecting a 1k bill. All of this is in canadian dollars but it's still around 12-13k.

I wouldn't say the car is unreliable... but I would say that you must expect around 5k in repairs yearly. Now the good news is that the battery and drive unit are still in excellent shape and could very well last for multiple years to come. The other elements that have been changed will quite probably last 4-5 years so I've decided to keep the car and since it's paid I'm still saving around 5000$ to 6000$ yearly in gas (which is more expensive here in Canada). I also think that when I decide to sell the car there will still be a certain residual value. Also, one of the reasons I'm keeping the car is simply because there is no real other alternative (in terms of comfort and pleasure to drive) than another newer tesla model S which, in my mind, doesn't really offer something more than my actual car.

Yes, expect maintenance. But is it worth it? Absolutely.

Edit: I subscribed to a third party insurance that covers certain elements. It cost me 3000$ 4 months ago and they've already reimbursed 3000$. The coverage is good for a lot of things other than regular wear and tear and is still good for 4 years, unlimited mileage. This warranty would cover the computer/screen, the pano roof, the air suspension and a bunch of latches (rear, front, etc.). It also extends my battery and drive unit warranty for 1 year (so I still have 2 years left).
Happy to hear the 2016 is more reliable than the 2014. But the problems you listed are what we have or had in the 2014 so it doesn't sound like much of an improvement.

To your point of no alternative: we've decided to get the car driveable and then we'll trade it in for a Y.

Also, what's the name of your 3rd party insurance? Something for us to look at.

Happy to hear the 2016 is more reliable than the 2014. But the problems you listed are what we have or had in the 2014 so it doesn't sound like much of an improvement.

To your point of no alternative: we've decided to get the car driveable and then we'll trade it in for a Y.

Also, what's the name of your 3rd party insurance? Something for us to look at.
Its a private insurer in Québec, called Garantie Avantage Plus... Dont know if they do business outside Canada.

P.S. My 2014 had much more issues, I was at the garage at least once each two months.. all under warranty at least.

Before the Model S, we drove Subaru's, and like you said, drove them for 15 years without much issue. This Tesla is not that, we are finding out.
Just to add to this point our 2nd car is a Subaru Forester 2010. Last year we replaced the front suspension, the brakes, the 12v battery, the starter and the exhaust (all of it). Also, the radiator suddently malfunctioned for no apparent reason and the engine bay caught fire so we've had the replace the radiator and transmission. The car is old but in my mind the Forester is much less reliable then the Tesla.

Knock on wood, but I'm driving a 2014 P85+ and the only out-of-pocket costs I've had so far have been a 12v battery. The drive unit was replaced twice under warranty though...
At what mileage and years were the drive units replaced? Your example lends itself towards the theory that high mileage cars are better in many ways.

I just checked my service history, the drive units were replaced in April 2021 at 68k miles and September 2021 at 72k miles. I must have gotten a bad rebuild the first time.
Interesting. Thank you.

A bit off topic, but do you know how to pull on the option codes on your car? Super curious if you got a DU01 drive unit that would update that code. More on my curiousity here.