Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What else do you drive?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After seeing another member reference their rather special weekend car and noting how many people are trading in Golf R And 3 Series for M3P’s it got me thinking, we all come at this from different places. I’m a true peteolhead but have been conflicted for years so have balanced the driveway with Plug ins and petrol cars for the last 5 years. My own personal carbon offset if you will. But I suspect loads of other people are just very happy to double the range of their old Leaf with an SR and wouldn’t dream of burning fossil fuels even at the weekend.

I’ve personally been waiting for years for an affordable, fast EV that can handle its self when you press on properly. So, what else is in your garage/driveway or what did you ditch for a Tesla?

Mine;
  • Golf R32 My wet weather daily to be sold when my M3P+ arrives in ten days
  • Honda Integra Type R DC2, My lightweight track/weekend car
  • Volvo XC90 T8, the fastest 7 seat, plug in I could afford to run the family around in

Reactions: gangzoom
Merc all the way - E class (beautiful ride quality!). E class convertible, SLK - but not all at the same time! Can’t quite believe the M3 has enticed me away but don’t think I will regret it.

Another massive power shift! Must be like night and day, especially back to back with the Zoe

It was, but I do miss many of the things on the Mondeo. Heated and cooled seats that massage while driving, properly responsive automatic dimming LED lights that point round bends, airbag seatbelts.

It's part of Tesla's approach to use cameras for everything, and by necessity the tech in some places isn't state of the art, but they will need to get better at there things as they gain market share.

No regrets though, I'm driving the future :)

The rest of my fleet are :

VW Up GTi - for shopping
BMW 520i Touring - for the dog
Volvo 850 T5 Estate - because I fancied one
Porsche 928 GT
Triumph 2500 S Estate

However, I’ve done more miles in my Model 3 in 2 months that I’ve done in any of the above in a year - so I guess that says it all really !

I've never been interested enough in performance cars to want to own one but for a long time I've wanted to move to a long range EV. I've long taken the view with cars that I want cheap reliable miles with good comfort, so have never before spent significant money on a car. And have always kept cars til they're pretty well worn out. I do above average miles, a lot on motorways and a 200 mile journey twice a week. Previous car was a 2010 2.2 diesel mondeo with nearly 200k miles done, 150k of which me. No problems but wearing out. Much more utilitarian than the tesla; quiet enough, powerful enough for the purpose, not monstrously thirsty and with decent comfort. However even if it wasn't for the desire to go electric I'd have moved up to something a bit more luxurious anyway, maybe a 2 or 3 year old 3 series or similar.

Before the mondeo I had a mkIV Golf GTI 2.0. The slowest Golf GTI ever made and looking rough by the end. That too was a fairly long ownership without major issues, together 15 years or so. Along the way we accidentally owned a Nissan Qashqai for a short period, which was loathsome.

Our other car is a VW Transporter for ferrying bikes and kid stuff around locally. So that and a Model S are an OK combination. I'd like to replace the van with something electric but it doesn't do that many miles and has a lot of life left in it, so that change will wait and should be at a time when there are different options on the market we haven't seen yet; we may also revisit our own needs.

Van does even less now we have MS for all long journeys unless we really need the space, which is v unusual. It'll be interesting to see how few miles it does rack up now we have the MS. maybe we could replace it with a Zoe with a permanently attached bike rack...

Reactions: house9
Before the mondeo I had a mkIV Golf GTI 2.0. The slowest Golf GTI ever made and looking rough by the end.
Agree. I had a Mark IV Golf, and then got a Mark V. I drove the Mark IV again while I was selling it and it felt like driving a bus.

The Mark IV I had was a piece of s***. Broke down 3 times within 10 months. Timing belt went and the entire engine had to be rebuilt. Amazingly I got some guy in Birmingham to do it for me for £600 with a second hand engine block. Then sold it a month later.

So glad I don't have to have any of those issues with the Model 3.

I switched from a 3.0 V6 diesel Range Rover Sport to a Model X.

Actually one of the main reasons to switch was the Model X has considerably more space, especially in the boot.

I was also getting increasingly fed up drive a rough diesel engine that hates to be revved.

The RRS was slightly better to drive than the Model X (lighter and smaller) and had a nicer interior (IMO Range Rovers have the most pleasant interiors of any car). The X has better technology, is considerably faster and smother and is more spacious. I prefer the X. My wife, who was very skeptical of the change, currently would not swap her X for anything else.

My other car is a 911 C4S Cabriolet. I wanted a car that was totally different to my other car and liked the idea of being able to put the roof down. Also if I had a sports car I wanted 4 seats so I could take the family out.

I drive it a lot less since getting the Tesla. Even the 911 feels agricultural compared to an electric motor. It is faster, but only if you throttle it. It does, however, feel like a go cart compared to driving an SUV. Increasingly though the family find it noisy and uncomfortable.

I would love an electric replacement for the 911. I have already posted on the Roadster board that I would prefer a slower less excessive Roadster. I really don't want or need a car that gets to 60 in 2 seconds. I would actually consider a Cybertruck as simply a different interesting kind of vehicle. At the moment my hope is that Porsche make a convertible Taycan, supposedly it has been designed with this in mind and I think it would be just right for what I need. Maybe something else will come along.

• Honda Integra Type R DC2, My lightweight track/weekend car

DC2 Teg, the only car I have ever regretted selling, as a driving experience with FWD, no sound proofing, hugging Recaro seats, 5 gears, no TC, its a totally different driving experience from our X. Really do miss it some days, but for all the reasons I miss it, is the exact reasons why I couldn't live with it as my only car, crawling in M25 traffic in summer with no air con in it was the opposite of fun!

6889763778_f658ced8c9_b.jpg

Reactions: benclear