Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What eMMC do I have?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Skotty

2014 S P85 | 2023 F-150L
Jun 27, 2013
Kansas City, MO
eMMC means the center screen and attached hardware, yes? Same as MCU? I have a 2014 Model S P85. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 2018 or 2019 I had the center screen replaced due to screen bubbles. How do I know what I have and don't have at this point? What do I mean by that?

1) With 3G networks being shut down, I probably want the LTE modem or things will probably stop working next year. Originally it only had 3G. Did that change with the screen replacement or do I still need to get an LTE upgrade? How would I know?
2) The flash memory thing. Anyway to know anything about this?
3) Is it MCU1 or MCU2? Is it just a performance difference?

EDIT: I poked around the screens a bit for more information. Found a screen that said the infotainment processor is NVidia Tegra, so maybe that's a clue. Though I'm primarily interested in whether or not I need to do an LTE upgrade, and not sure if that would be any way relevant to that question.

Last edited:
I thought the replacement screen was fairly new at the time, as it suffered from the screen yellowing that was a thing happening to new screens at the time, but maybe it was before all the upgrades. Perhaps some things like the cellular hardware were plug in and they just took it out of the old one and put it in the new one.

I checked recalls, not being sure if I've had them all taken care or not, and the only one it said wasn't done is the eMMC recall. The wording read like Tesla's solution was to update the firmware via OTA update. I'm pretty sure I was notified of this recall by Tesla, but it said Tesla would contact me if and when I needed to do it, and not to contact them. "We'll call you". So my best guess is I only have the firmware OTA update, and Tesla thinks that's good enough; if I actually want the upgraded eMMC I will probably have to badger them about it. Maybe I could bundle that with getting LTE upgrade. Not sure how to go about it though; I guess I have to use the mobile service app and request service, as that is slowly becoming the only way to contact Tesla for service (back in the day, I could actually call my local service center and talk to them; I kind of miss that)

As we all are in the same boat, Tesla will notify you if the required eMMC recall will come eventually to you car (I’m waiting this too). If you only have connectivity concerns i.e. 3G vs. LTE then book in for this change on your app and if they start to text you about it, you can ask then the eMMC recall situation as well. This MCU is like a motherboard on ordinary computer where you can add or remove required sideboards like WLAN/3G/LTE or GPS/SD card reader. So to upgrade they need to change required hardware and to change corresponding configuration file as well.
Whether you want to upgrade to new generation MCU (from MCU1>MCU2) depends if you like quicker SW responding and added features compared to your current one. Upgrading also lifts your car to the list that Tesla keeps providing new updates. Current MCU1 cars haven’t seen any in nine months or so...

The eMMC is on a small card inside the MCU the card being about 4 in x 4 in.
You said you have the Nvidia Tegra the is the processor that MCU1 uses. another way to tell is that MCU1 doesn't have netflix or any of that stuff only crappy games. MCU2 has the flying game and youtube and hulu, exc.
Also MCU2 does not have 3G it is LTE so if you have 3G then again MCU1

There is an upgrade for like $200 or so to do the LTE upgrade but you're better off getting MCU2. I did the upgrade in my car and damn it was totally worth it.

My eMMC has been failing for some time (screen crashes, music hiccups, lose internet, maps don't load), but Tesla has been unwilling to perform the recall on my MX, If I get the infotainment, does that come with the 64GB eMMC? If so, has anyone been able to get an upfront discount to upgrade in place of a recall?

As we all are in the same boat, Tesla will notify you if the required eMMC recall will come eventually to you car (I’m waiting this too). If you only have connectivity concerns i.e. 3G vs. LTE then book in for this change on your app and if they start to text you about it, you can ask then the eMMC recall situation as well. This MCU is like a motherboard on ordinary computer where you can add or remove required sideboards like WLAN/3G/LTE or GPS/SD card reader. So to upgrade they need to change required hardware and to change corresponding configuration file as well.
Whether you want to upgrade to new generation MCU (from MCU1>MCU2) depends if you like quicker SW responding and added features compared to your current one. Upgrading also lifts your car to the list that Tesla keeps providing new updates. Current MCU1 cars haven’t seen any in nine months or so...
I’ve had updates throughout the year. Most recently mid-October. Mcu1.

My eMMC has been failing for some time (screen crashes, music hiccups, lose internet, maps don't load), but Tesla has been unwilling to perform the recall on my MX, If I get the infotainment, does that come with the 64GB eMMC? If so, has anyone been able to get an upfront discount to upgrade in place of a recall?
Search the forums and find fanbois will tell you mcu2 used to be $2500, but good hearted Tesla offered a discounted price of $1500. In reality mcu2 is simply $1500. With caveats. You lose unlimited data and instead have to pay $10/month for remainder of the car’s life, or until they raise the price. They call it Premium Connectivity and it’s a huge profit center for Tesla. Just await the recall notice or better yet, schedule the service in your app. I’m taking mine in tomorrow after twice delayed by Tesla. My first appointment was in august.

Search the forums and find fanbois will tell you mcu2 used to be $2500, but good hearted Tesla offered a discounted price of $1500. In reality mcu2 is simply $1500. With caveats. You lose unlimited data and instead have to pay $10/month for remainder of the car’s life, or until they raise the price. They call it Premium Connectivity and it’s a huge profit center for Tesla. Just await the recall notice or better yet, schedule the service in your app. I’m taking mine in tomorrow after twice delayed by Tesla. My first appointment was in august.
I caved and got the upgrade. I was charged $2k. I didn't see anything about premium data and not being charged for it. I see some speed improvement on maps and nav. Web browser is archaic. Netflix is nice when I waiting at Superchargers. Youtube caused center console to crash :( Autowipers still in Beta and still works intermittently when it rains. Why is Autowipers still in Beta?

Last edited:
Reactions: BostonBurley
You lose unlimited data and instead have to pay $10/month for remainder of the car’s life, or until they raise the price. They call it Premium Connectivity and it’s a huge profit center for Tesla.
Incorrect. You do not lose Premium Connectivity if you already had it and then get MCU2 upgrade

Also, immediately after MCU2 upgrade I started getting 2021.x firmware updates. Was on 2020.48.36.x prior to upgrade

I caved and got the upgrade. I was charged $2k. I didn't see anything about premium data and not being charged for it. I see some speed improvement on maps and nav. Web browser is archaic. Netflix is nice when I waiting at Superchargers. Youtube caused center console to crash :( Autowipers still in Beta and still works intermittently when it rains. Why is Autowipers still in Beta?
Auto wipers are in beta for life. Still haven’t figured out the windshield wipers.

Incorrect. You do not lose Premium Connectivity if you already had it and then get MCU2 upgrade

Also, immediately after MCU2 upgrade I started getting 2021.x firmware updates. Was on 2020.48.36.x prior to upgrade
I read on the faq how it wouldn’t be taken away, but my service advisor told me I’d have to pay to use Netflix or YouTube. If that’s not true, I mean. I’m getting mcu2.

I read on the faq how it wouldn’t be taken away, but my service advisor told me I’d have to pay to use Netflix or YouTube. If that’s not true, I mean. I’m getting mcu2.
Premium connectivity stays if the car has it.

Take photos of the service -> more info page.

YouTube is free, but the Netflix and Hulu require that you have an account. You login to your own account from the car.

Premium connectivity stays if the car has it.

Take photos of the service -> more info page.

YouTube is free, but the Netflix and Hulu require that you have an account. You login to your own account from the car.
brkaus is correct

I had the emmc daughter board recall performed yesterday. Tesla is so out of whack. One person told me free connectivity transfers over if you purchase mcu2, but the service manager who priced it out said it’s $1900 plus tax and that I’d have to pay $9.99/mth or use WiFi for certain features.
So the price is $400 too high and they don’t seem to have the right information. Consistency in price and information would be nice. $1900 is about what a really nice new MacBook Pro costs. Apple provides every single bit of information you might imagine. Why is the computer in my car a vague mystery with fluctuating asking price?

Edit: after the recall my center screen is much improved in response time. It’s still a slug, but no longer waiting 1-3 seconds after selecting music or settings pop-up. It also can enter and exit jack mode, whereas before I’d have to restart and then power off for a few minutes, or drive fast enough to engage auto lowering to standard height at speed. I’m very happy about the restored “performance”. Also using dark mode instead of Google maps/day mode has advantages in responsiveness and wear and tear I was told. The screen came in manually set dark mode when I got the car back. It actually works well, even in direct sunlight. My loaner was that way, too. Idk

Attachments

• A1E0B5A5-D1A0-4835-A9F1-5AC9421DB787.jpeg
    A1E0B5A5-D1A0-4835-A9F1-5AC9421DB787.jpeg
    469 KB · Views: 201
Last edited: