TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What EV would you drive til Gen 3 is released?

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by fengshui, Jul 26, 2013.

1. fengshui

fengshui Member

If you were looking to acquire an EV in the next few months to drive until Gen 3 is released, what vehicle would you select? Would you buy a car and risk the high depreciation, or string a few leases together?

2. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

I'd probably drive a Volt...

3. Citizen-T

Citizen-T Active Member

Volt. I've actually been considering doing just that. Driving my current car until Gen III would be a stretch.

4. Mr X

Mr X Future Owner

Volt no question

5. DuncanWatson

DuncanWatson Member

I am driving a Ford Focus Electric. I leased it for $199/month and my lease specifies I can walk away at the end with no payment assuming standard condition of the car issues.

The FFE has a liquid cooled battery system and is the basic errand/city car. It performs quite well and is more of a driver's car then the Leaf. I have ~80miles of range in practice. I only have L2 charging which is a limitation but we have a second vehicle. The Leaf is a good choice if L3 is needed. I personally don't like the Volt at all. It costs significantly more in practice and Chevy dealers suck at selling the car. They wanted me to pay at least 359/month when I told them I had an offer for $199/month for the FFE. The low end Volt doesn't come with Navigation and the options it does come with are a bit murky. I couldn't get a straight answer without going to contract while at the dealership.

I am very happy with my FFE at this time given I understand it limitations.

6. Citizen-T

Citizen-T Active Member

Interesting...they do sell the FEE in my area. I might check it out.

7. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Yeah the FFE is sold nation wide. You do need to find a "Electric car" dealer. But I would expect at least half the Ford dealers in R-D to be qualified. Now finding a dealer with a car on the lot ... that is a different question.

8. Citizen-T

Citizen-T Active Member

Oh ok. I know when it first came out they were only selling it in select areas.

9. dm33

dm33 Member

Leaf. Its the only BEV thats sold nation wide in significant quantities. There are some amazingly cheap lease deals. $200-250/mo. 2 year leases too. Can delay purchase until the Gen III comes out. If you're typical drive is more than 38 miles, the Volt is just a fuel efficient ICE. Might as well get a Prius, VW TDI or Cruze diesel which get better mileage and are much less expensive.

Another option next year will be the BMW i3. A PHEV but leaning on the BEV part of the scale. Mostly a battery electric with a small engine option to extend range a little. But its price keeps inching up closer to the base Model S making it tempting to just splurge and get the S anyway.

10. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Well, in my case I'll be driving a Model S, but if I wasn't able to buy it, I would be looking hard at the Cadillac ELR. I previously had a CTS and can't speak highly enough of it. The whole car/sales/ownership experience was fantastic.

The thing that swayed me from the Volt/ELR was the fact that I have about a 100 mile round-trip commute and I really wanted to drive all-electric. Even a Leaf (especially in the winter) would be problematic for me.

11. essaunders

essaunders Member

I'll be Driving my leaf. while I'd love the range and capability of a Model S, the fact is the vampire draw alone on the Model S is about the same as my average daily consumption of my leaf.

I'm hoping the Gen3 would actually be a good replacement for my Prius.

12. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

If you think "next few months" covers the gap between July 2013 and general availability of Gen 3 then you're, um, "very optimistic"? Unless you define "few" as something like 24-30.

13. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Just as a point of reference, I was away for two weeks and observed my Model S "re-charge" itself exactly every two days and use exactly 5 kWh of electricity (as recorded by my TED energy monitor). This equals 2.5 kWh of "vampire" loss a day. I'm not sure how far the Leaf can go on 2.5 kWh, but that would be somewhere around 8 miles in a Model S. I drive about 100 miles a day. I'm hoping Tesla can fix this, but right now, it's just background noise for me.

14. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

I read it that way first too, I think me means, he'll be getting a car in a few months to last until GenIII is ready.

15. spleen

spleen Active Member

I took the question in the spirit that it was given, but "few" is really a lot more than 24-30 months as well, Brian, unless you're talking about the Gen 3 announcement. 24-30 months might be appropriate for general production for the Model X (maybe a little less) but doubt that Gen 3 prod will start in 2 years - more like 3-4 yrs I would imagine considering we're not even at prototype milestone yet.

As for the original question, I'm driving a Leaf right now while waiting for the X. If I was waiting for the Gen 3, the answer would be the same. This might be reality since the X may end up replacing my wife's Ridgeline and I may continue driving the Leaf for now until Gen 3 comes out and then get replaced. We may be a 2 EV household in the next 24-30 months!

I have a 50 mile round trip commute and my wife's commute is about 15 miles. The battery limitations of the Leaf is well within our mileage requirements and we don't have to deal with cold weather battery charge limitations where we live. ;) These are factors in our decisions that may or may not apply to others.

16. Rifleman

Rifleman Now owns 2 Model S's!!!

I am driving a Volt until September 2015, and I am still trying to figure out what I am going to do between then and my Gen III being delivered. The good news is I still have a few years to figure this out.

17. DuncanWatson

DuncanWatson Member

I agree that the Gen3 is 3+ years away. I am wondering what I will be doing in Feb 2016 when my FFE lease expires. I will likely have a Litmotors C-1 by then for myself and my wife will be driving the FFE at that point. I will need something in Feb 2016 and it will likely be another lease until the Gen3 is out. I suspect I can get a 2 yr lease of some EV at that point and then swap to the Gen3 in 2018.

Though we might get a Model X around then assuming we can swing it.
    djw

18. essaunders

essaunders Member

Thanks - it was your figures I was referencing. I drive ~14 miles for my commute - and when not running AC or Heat, I'm right about at the 2.5khw mark daily. I'll also note that my figures are leaf -reported and as such have 'nissan-induced' errors as well as ignoring charging efficiency. One of these days I'll get a TED or other meter on my EVSE....

19. timf

timf Member

#19 timf, Jul 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
    I'm leaning towards the Ford Fusion Energi to tide me over until Gen III. Everything else on the market currently is based off of inexpensive compact models and doesn't have as nice of a feel or look to them. I wish it had a rated EV range that was longer than 21 miles, but my commute is 10 miles each way so I should be able to keep it in EV mode most of the time.

My current lease is up next March so I'm hoping that a 3 year lease by then will be long enough to cover the time until Gen III. If Gen III isn't out by then, there's always the option to buy out the lease or extend for a couple months. There might even be an appealing non-Tesla EV, but I'm not counting on it.

20. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

You can put a lot of electric/battery only miles on a Volt. I have 24K in the past 2.5 yrs and am getting 45 EV miles in the summer. It has a TMS for the battery.

Check out the stats here: http://www.voltstats.net/
    Click on 'EV Miles' column header to sort the most EV miles to the top. Several in 40K and many in 30K !!

As Tesla Model S know the TMS will be a factor even in a couple years when cars without one will have their battery replaced and their value will adjust according to the press about it.