Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What exactly are the process steps?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious to understand if this is the normal order for Tesla, disregard dates and timeline (too long IMO):

Ordered Dec 27th, 2016

Confirmed Jan 3rd, 2017 and scheduled for Production in our Factory

Your Tesla is currently in Production Feb 24th, 2017

E-mail today: We have started building your Tesla, your Tesla has entered production on March 3rd, 2017

The MyTesla Status is the same for the last 2 events "Your Tesla is currently in Production". (Feb 24th and Mar 3rd).

Just doesn't seem to add up based on what I've seen on other vehicles and what we experienced with our S.

In production a week ago but only started building today? Feels like Tesla bought themselves an extra week?

Thoughts? Is this how your X process worked as well?

Relax. Don't take the MyTesla status too seriously right now, as it has been very inaccurate (getting better, but still not perfect yet). I think the MyTesla status will only become accurate when they get the production line running smoothly, which it probably isn't yet.

Also, "Currently in Production" is vague, and can also mean that they began sourcing parts for your vehicle. The Email is likely more accurate and "started building" likely means that sheet metal is being welded together.

MyTesla reported that my vehicle was in Production up until I actually picked it up, so it wasn't being updated very often. Emails from your DS are more reliable, but still not perfect, as they're not kept in the loop as well as they should.

Furthermore, there was a production-line shutdown last week, so production is probably a week or two delayed.

Last edited:
Seems right. They shut the plant on 2/18 and restarted on 3/1. Your first status was perhaps a body going into the paint shop and an email was eventually sent on 3/3. 2/24 the plant was "down" somewhat. So it "really" is in production now. What may happen is they finish it by say 3/5 or 3/6, then since it is close to end of quarter, ship by truck rather than train to FL for 3/31 or sooner delivery.

My "S" was listed as being "in production" for only one day. No way for stamping to painting to testing in less than 24 hours . The flaw is in the reporting, not in the production.
Patience - your car will be with you a lot longer than the excitement of Christmas is Coming!!

It's sort of funny. Tesla can make a vehicle that can basically drive itself but can't track the building of said vehicle down a mostly linear production line.

I guess they can't consider a vehicle delivered until you sign the paperwork. I'm sure one MX moved from Q1 to Q2 won't impact their numbers enough for them to care about. What's another $165,000 to them.

My "S" was listed as being "in production" for only one day. No way for stamping to painting to testing in less than 24 hours . The flaw is in the reporting, not in the production.
Patience - your car will be with you a lot longer than the excitement of Christmas is Coming!!

My wife's car. Was a long road to convince her to get it. She wanted a G Wagon or a GLS 550. So this waiting process certainly hasn't helped me with that. She's over it already.

I hope it's flawless at delivery because I know she will look at it with the same expectations of her S550 experience.

The seemingly discreet steps aren't quite as defined as we seem to think they are, and I'm not sure that anyone really knows what triggers the emails. There also are some intermediate steps. Regardless of status reports, things just happen with they happen. The notices are just to help keep our excitement up. Other than refreshing My Tesla a couple hundred times per day, there really isn't anything for you to do or concern yourself with until production really is complete.

Just for fun, I'll toss in how My Tesla and the emails went for me, along with what I've heard from my DS.

1/23 - Got "confirmed" and VIN emails for my MS.

Early February - Chatted with my DS, who let me know that the car was slated for production during the week of 2/27 (after the planned shutdown).

2/20 - I noticed that My Tesla showed that my MS was "in production." DS confirmed. I thought it was odd, due to the shutdown, but I didn't get worked up about it. I figured it was just getting queued up for real.

3/1 - Got the "we started building" email. I didn't bother chatting with my DS about it--just figured the factory was back on line.

3/2 - Got the "your Tesla is complete" email. DS confirmed, but also noted that there is an intermediate step not noted in the "process," i.e., a "gateway" step (the phone signal broke up a little while we were talking). Basically, they are doing a bit of spit polish and testing while coordinating the transport. I got a narrowed delivery window of 3/16-3/30.

My DS said that the status will change to "in transport" once it's on its way out of the factory. In the meantime, we're going to get the rest of the paperwork done (probably next week).

So, to sum up, the emails and My Tesla status reports are somewhat imprecise. Your DS may be able to give you more details.

The seemingly discreet steps aren't quite as defined as we seem to think they are, and I'm not sure that anyone really knows what triggers the emails. There also are some intermediate steps. Regardless of status reports, things just happen with they happen. The notices are just to help keep our excitement up. Other than refreshing My Tesla a couple hundred times per day, there really isn't anything for you to do or concern yourself with until production really is complete.

Just for fun, I'll toss in how My Tesla and the emails went for me, along with what I've heard from my DS.

1/23 - Got "confirmed" and VIN emails for my MS.

Early February - Chatted with my DS, who let me know that the car was slated for production during the week of 2/27 (after the planned shutdown).

2/20 - I noticed that My Tesla showed that my MS was "in production." DS confirmed. I thought it was odd, due to the shutdown, but I didn't get worked up about it. I figured it was just getting queued up for real.

3/1 - Got the "we started building" email. I didn't bother chatting with my DS about it--just figured the factory was back on line.

3/2 - Got the "your Tesla is complete" email. DS confirmed, but also noted that there is an intermediate step not noted in the "process," i.e., a "gateway" step (the phone signal broke up a little while we were talking). Basically, they are doing a bit of spit polish and testing while coordinating the transport. I got a narrowed delivery window of 3/16-3/30.

My DS said that the status will change to "in transport" once it's on its way out of the factory. In the meantime, we're going to get the rest of the paperwork done (probably next week).

So, to sum up, the emails and My Tesla status reports are somewhat imprecise. Your DS may be able to give you more details.
My experience is totally opposite.... no emails from Tesla at all since my order was confirmed on 2/11/17. Has been showing "in production" on My Tesla since Feb 15th. My DS initially emailed me that the car would be delivered Last Feb-early March, but has since changed it to March- early April. I asked him why it was in production for over 2 weeks, he said some cars take longer than others. I have no idea what the true status is..... I don't understand the need to be so secretive and keep us in the dark....

Curious to understand if this is the normal order for Tesla, disregard dates and timeline (too long IMO):

Ordered Dec 27th, 2016

Confirmed Jan 3rd, 2017 and scheduled for Production in our Factory

Your Tesla is currently in Production Feb 24th, 2017

E-mail today: We have started building your Tesla, your Tesla has entered production on March 3rd, 2017

The MyTesla Status is the same for the last 2 events "Your Tesla is currently in Production". (Feb 24th and Mar 3rd).

Just doesn't seem to add up based on what I've seen on other vehicles and what we experienced with our S.

In production a week ago but only started building today?

Today at 6:30am I received the Your Tesla is Complete email with an estimated delivery range from March 27th - April 10th.