Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What exactly does “Trailer mode” do.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks. Other than disabling autopilot what else does “trailer mode” do. I have seen one person indicate that there was some kind of anti sway thru the brakes affect but find no reference to that. Or maybe that was the model X. Any techs out there no more about this.

Thanks.

From the OM:

Some Autopilot features, as well as rear parking sensor functionality, may not be available when Trailer Mode is enabled. In addition, these features operate differently:

• Traffic-Aware Cruise Control increases the following distance from the vehicle in front of you.
  • Side collision warnings are active but automatic steering interventions are disabled.
  • The braking force provided by Automatic Emergency Braking (see Collision Avoidance Assist) may be limited. Therefore, stopping distance may increase.

Reactions: Ogre
From the OM:

Some Autopilot features, as well as rear parking sensor functionality, may not be available when Trailer Mode is enabled. In addition, these features operate differently:

• Traffic-Aware Cruise Control increases the following distance from the vehicle in front of you.
  • Side collision warnings are active but automatic steering interventions are disabled.
  • The braking force provided by Automatic Emergency Braking (see Collision Avoidance Assist) may be limited. Therefore, stopping distance may increase.
Thank you.

It disables the warnings from the rear proximity sensors.
Years ago when the X came out, when in Trailer Mode (meaning when towing a trailer that is electrically connected to the car) backing up the rear sensor alerts would go off and it was really annoying. It took a few years for Tesla to fix that.

I assume that now on the Y, when in Trailer Mode and backing up there are no audible alerts or visual warnings on the center display?

When I search the Model Y Owners Manual I do not find anything about Trailer Mode or towing. Is there a specific manual for that is provided to owners in print form? On the X a hitch and the Trailer Mode software is standard so perhaps that is why there is a section in the Model X Owners Manual about towing.

Last edited:
From the OM:

Also in the Model X manual:

298E08C0-3688-4678-B349-3C481AF03AB4.jpeg

I assume that is also the case for the Y.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrGriz
Be warned...when you plugin the trailer harness, trailer mode turns on automatically. Sounds great, huh? The bad news it does NOT turn off automatically when you are done. So you now are driving with backside proximity warns off! I had an incident of small cosmetic damage and quite a surprise.

Be warned...when you plugin the trailer harness, trailer mode turns on automatically. Sounds great, huh? The bad news it does NOT turn off automatically when you are done. So you now are driving with backside proximity warns off!
that is very odd. The model X does not behave that way. When the trailer harness is unplugged, trailer mode turns off and the rear bumper sensors behaves normally.

Be warned...when you plugin the trailer harness, trailer mode turns on automatically. Sounds great, huh? The bad news it does NOT turn off automatically when you are done. So you now are driving with backside proximity warns off! I had an incident of small cosmetic damage and quite a surprise.
Why was that a surprise? There's an indicator light and the OM clearly states that it doesn't automatically disengage when you un plug.

Why was that a surprise? There's an indicator light and the OM clearly states that it doesn't automatically disengage when you un plug.
Yes, I see that you are correct. From the manual:
Trailer Mode must always be active when towing a trailer. When you connect a trailer’s electrical connection while the vehicle is in Park, Model Y automatically engages Trailer Mode. When you disconnect the trailer’s electrical connection, Trailer Mode does not automatically disengage. To manually engage or disengage Trailer Mode, touch Controls > Pedals & Steering > Trailer Mode on the touchscreen
I’m just surprised that Trailer Mode works differently from the Model X. I do not understand why Tesla decided to require manual disengagement in the Y when it is not required in the X.

• Informative
Reactions: SSonnentag
would be nice if they had a separate "bike rack" mode to disable the rear sensors but NOT autopilot

@Elon - please make it so!
That is something I’ve wanted for years. Seems like it would be simple to do. For safety, make it something that would need to be activated by the driver every time the car goes from Park to Drive or Reverse, as you would not want it to be left on accidentally.

Reactions: Fourdoor
Anytime the rear sensors are disabled, for whatever mode it is in, they should put up a nice red label or overlay that says "REAR SENSORS ARE DISABLED" or something to that effect. That would nullify a huge amount of issues with having it accidentally left on.

And I agree, all of this should be a very simple software update. Especially since trailer mode is already a thing.

I use AP and keep Trailer Mode disabled when using a hitch-mounted bike rack on my Model Y. No loss of functionality and no annoying beeps. You'll see two yellow warning curves on the AP visualization, but AP still works fine. I have FSD and it can even auto-lane change without any issue. It uses the side cameras for lane changing so having the rear camera and parking sensors blocked has no effect on it.

The only thing I notice is when in Reverse, it does beep. But I consider that a positive, so its an audible reminder to myself that a bike rack is mounted, so I give myself extra space when backing in. The whole system works so seemlessly I often forget that I even have a bike rack back there!

Last edited: