Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What exactly does basic warranty cover? Because my 2020 M3 has issues like rattles and weather strip melting on windows, and they're charging me.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've created a couple of service requests on my car, and its becoming infuriating to get annoying things fixed. For example, all of my windows, after 2 years, have black goo stuck at the top of the window that I have to scrape off. The stripping is obviously melting onto the glass, and when I Took it in a few months ago for the trunk harness recall, they noted (no defect found). I'm not sure if he completely missed it or not, but after I cleaned it off 3 of my windows, its back on all the windows.

The other issue is I have the rattle everyone else has. I had put a request in last time and they also put in, "Could not hear rattle." The rattle doesn't always happen, and it happens on a certain type of road that isn't completely smoothed over between 30-60mph, which I told the guy when I dropped it off.

Now when I'm putting in a request to check it again, I'm being charged to inspect the vehicle, as well as repairs. I was told they checked it last time as a "gesture of goodwill" and the warranty doesn't cover creaks and rattles. My old Infiniti dealership never charged me for stuff like this on my G35. I'd go to the dealership, get a coffee and a sandwich and they'd fix the issues in an hour or two, and I'd be on my way with no fees charged because it was under warranty. Why does Tesla charge for repairing these defects that should be covered under warranty??

Rattling from defects I don’t think is “normal rattles”. Also with windows, failing weather stripping isn’t excluded.
Initially, Tesla used to be very good at fixing noises and trims for free in the 4-year warranty. However, they changed the warranty language, and from then on, good luck to you for covering the issues above.