TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What exactly is MC Red (and questions as to nature of this color)

Discussion in 'Model S' started by cab, Jul 20, 2015.

1. cab

cab Member

#1 cab, Jul 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
    So as I consider a CPO P85 I have to decide what color I want. Normally, the red would be my default choice. I'm "that guy" when it comes to colors (bright red, bright yellow, bright blue, heck bright orange and lime green - all winners for me). Anyway, while I see a few Teslas roaming around here (DFW area), the red ones tend to be a bit rare. I actually drove to a local area yesterday and found one ( a P85+). Unfortunately, it was a bit dirty and I honestly couldn't quite tell if I liked it. It is NOT a classic non-metallic "bright red" (which I love). There was actually a new Boxster parked down the road from it in bright red that pointed this out quite obviously (as did our own Passion red Volvo XC60). It even seemed to have some maroon in it (and I hate burgundies and maroons) - and yes, I'm sure it was an MC red and not the sig red. It also seems to lean toward the "pink" end of the spectrum.

Anyway, I'm wondering if this color is a bit of a chameleon where it darkens up quite a bit in the shade or at dusk. BMW's Imola red can be a bit that way, you see it in pics and think it is a bright red, but it isn't at all. In addition, I'm wondering what exactly the "multi-coat" is in this color. Normally, when I hear "multi-coat" I think of a tri-coat like a candy where the base might be a gold, silver or black which is then covered with a translucent color coat like red (and then the clear of course). The more coats of color, the less you see of the base and vice-versa (this is why candies are so hard to color-match in the even of an accident). It could also be some kind of tinted mid-coat. Regardless, do you see a metallic or gold glint of any kind.

Would love to see a few more pics under various lighting conditions (there are some) and hear your own thoughts on this color. I really need to see another local example (I'm in Grapevine, TX if that helps) to make up my mind of course.

Here is the one I spotted yesterday...

IMAG1285[1].jpg IMAG1286[1].jpg
    Thanks!

2. bollar

bollar Disgruntled Member

Southlake Town Square is definitely a good place to Tesla Watch. That particular MC red likely lives up the road from me.

I find the MC Red is a highly variable color. It's not my color, so I don't have a lot of examples, but look at this one (MC on the right, of course):

d14180ff510b3c853304a648d33adc4f.jpg

3. JPP

JPP Active Member

Yes, MC Red is a chameleon. Almost candy apple in bright sunlight, cinnamon in medium light, richer and darker at night. Love it. And, yes, you gotta keep it clean to look this good (...consider aftermarket coating like OptiCoat or cQuartz). I don't want to think of how to color match in case of any need for collision repair...

4. Maaz

Maaz Member

I love how different the red looks at different times of the day. I love when it's super bright out and the red had a bluish metallic tint to it.

5. Mr X

Mr X Future Owner

Red is drool worthy/neck breaker :love:

WhtLjpq.jpg

4CMO7DH.png

I9YbfPv.jpg

a7NVDWW.png

Uq6jf8s.png

jxdBuXA.jpg

yi2W6wf.png

teq7BfT.png

06sKq5K.png

DoE3usI.png

6. TSchaefer

TSchaefer ~~~Model S Owner~~~ Model 3 Reservation Holder

#6 TSchaefer, Jul 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
    Hi Cab! I am right up the road from you in Euless and we have a P85D in MC Red. I would be happy for you to come by and see our car and we can answer many questions you may have about Tesla ownership. The MC Red is really beautiful and in the sunlight it glistens. We have two red electric vehicles in our garage at this moment and a third that is not currently in our garage. We love red! My husband and I would love to give you some insight on Tesla, we are very happy owners and are always ready to encourage others to join in the fun. You can email if you would like to get further details. My name is Teresa and my husband is Don. Look forward to hearing from you

7. MacDan

MacDan New Member

I like, that the red is a chameleon
    in bright light, under black clouds, in the morning
    it changes and it's alway beautiful
    IMG_2459.JPG
    IMG_2463.JPG
    IMG_2464.JPG
    IMG_2493.JPG

8. SR22pilot

SR22pilot Member

Are you sure the one on the left isn't Signature Red? Signature Red is my favorite color but unavailable on new cars.

9. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

He mentioned "MC on the right, of course"; the left is sig red, you can see the sig nose cone on it too.

(And perhaps Bonnie can comment on the parking job. :) )

10. omarsultan

omarsultan Active Member

I also love the color shifting of my MC Red. One aspect that has surprised me is that it hides dirt fairly well, even with a light to moderate coating of road dust, it looks pretty good.

11. cab

cab Member

As an aside, I did get to see Sunneesmile's MC red (nice and clean!) a couple of weeks ago and got a much better feel for the color. While not a classic bright red as I noted it still a very sharp color. I was actually able to see it in their garage before we pulled it out into direct sunlight to sort of see the "shade" and light deltas. They also have a red Chevy Volt so it was nice to see the Tesla MC red in comparison to it as well (the Volt's red is considerably darker).

The multicoat gold metallic is very faint compared to some and much less noticeable than say the pearl in pearl white (which I am fine with). Like a pearl though, you catch the glimpses of it on the corners and edges were the sun hits.

12. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

I like the MC Red very much, but next to the fabulously rich Sig Red I think it looks ordinary.

13. Linux64

Linux64 Member

KelsonTesla.png

- - - Updated - - -

10443005_10152445352102801_1391898831323299844_o.jpg

14. adiggs

adiggs Active Member

15. TSchaefer

TSchaefer ~~~Model S Owner~~~ Model 3 Reservation Holder

I just love the MC red and every time I see it (even after having it in my garage for all this time) my heart still leaps. I know everyone has their own comparison, but I compare it to a really nice nail polish, a color I wore for many years, OPI brand, color: L54-California Raspberry.

16. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

Sig red is indeed a beautiful colour. Especially with opticoat on it. I also like MC red. I am certain that it too would be enhanced with opticoat.

17. pedriscoll

pedriscoll True Blue Tesla Fan

I agree that the MC red is absolutely beautiful. I agonized over my decision between that and the Ocean Blue. Ultimately picked the blue because so few of them have been on the road so far and my last 3 cars have been red. Love both colors. The blue is a bit of a chameleon as well, much lighter in bright sunlight.