Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What exactly is MC Red (and questions as to nature of this color)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cab

Sep 5, 2013
Grapevine, TX
So as I consider a CPO P85 I have to decide what color I want. Normally, the red would be my default choice. I'm "that guy" when it comes to colors (bright red, bright yellow, bright blue, heck bright orange and lime green - all winners for me). Anyway, while I see a few Teslas roaming around here (DFW area), the red ones tend to be a bit rare. I actually drove to a local area yesterday and found one ( a P85+). Unfortunately, it was a bit dirty and I honestly couldn't quite tell if I liked it. It is NOT a classic non-metallic "bright red" (which I love). There was actually a new Boxster parked down the road from it in bright red that pointed this out quite obviously (as did our own Passion red Volvo XC60). It even seemed to have some maroon in it (and I hate burgundies and maroons) - and yes, I'm sure it was an MC red and not the sig red. It also seems to lean toward the "pink" end of the spectrum.

Anyway, I'm wondering if this color is a bit of a chameleon where it darkens up quite a bit in the shade or at dusk. BMW's Imola red can be a bit that way, you see it in pics and think it is a bright red, but it isn't at all. In addition, I'm wondering what exactly the "multi-coat" is in this color. Normally, when I hear "multi-coat" I think of a tri-coat like a candy where the base might be a gold, silver or black which is then covered with a translucent color coat like red (and then the clear of course). The more coats of color, the less you see of the base and vice-versa (this is why candies are so hard to color-match in the even of an accident). It could also be some kind of tinted mid-coat. Regardless, do you see a metallic or gold glint of any kind.

Would love to see a few more pics under various lighting conditions (there are some) and hear your own thoughts on this color. I really need to see another local example (I'm in Grapevine, TX if that helps) to make up my mind of course.

Here is the one I spotted yesterday...

IMAG1285[1].jpg
IMAG1286[1].jpg

Thanks!

Last edited:
Southlake Town Square is definitely a good place to Tesla Watch. That particular MC red likely lives up the road from me.

I find the MC Red is a highly variable color. It's not my color, so I don't have a lot of examples, but look at this one (MC on the right, of course):

d14180ff510b3c853304a648d33adc4f.jpg

Yes, MC Red is a chameleon. Almost candy apple in bright sunlight, cinnamon in medium light, richer and darker at night. Love it. And, yes, you gotta keep it clean to look this good (...consider aftermarket coating like OptiCoat or cQuartz). I don't want to think of how to color match in case of any need for collision repair...

Hi Cab! I am right up the road from you in Euless and we have a P85D in MC Red. I would be happy for you to come by and see our car and we can answer many questions you may have about Tesla ownership. The MC Red is really beautiful and in the sunlight it glistens. We have two red electric vehicles in our garage at this moment and a third that is not currently in our garage. We love red! My husband and I would love to give you some insight on Tesla, we are very happy owners and are always ready to encourage others to join in the fun. You can email if you would like to get further details. My name is Teresa and my husband is Don. Look forward to hearing from you

Last edited:
Are you sure the one on the left isn't Signature Red? Signature Red is my favorite color but unavailable on new cars.

Southlake Town Square is definitely a good place to Tesla Watch. That particular MC red likely lives up the road from me.

I find the MC Red is a highly variable color. It's not my color, so I don't have a lot of examples, but look at this one (MC on the right, of course):

d14180ff510b3c853304a648d33adc4f.jpg

He mentioned "MC on the right, of course"; the left is sig red, you can see the sig nose cone on it too.

(And perhaps Bonnie can comment on the parking job. :) )

As an aside, I did get to see Sunneesmile's MC red (nice and clean!) a couple of weeks ago and got a much better feel for the color. While not a classic bright red as I noted it still a very sharp color. I was actually able to see it in their garage before we pulled it out into direct sunlight to sort of see the "shade" and light deltas. They also have a red Chevy Volt so it was nice to see the Tesla MC red in comparison to it as well (the Volt's red is considerably darker).

The multicoat gold metallic is very faint compared to some and much less noticeable than say the pearl in pearl white (which I am fine with). Like a pearl though, you catch the glimpses of it on the corners and edges were the sun hits.

I just love the MC red and every time I see it (even after having it in my garage for all this time) my heart still leaps. I know everyone has their own comparison, but I compare it to a really nice nail polish, a color I wore for many years, OPI brand, color: L54-California Raspberry.

I agree that the MC red is absolutely beautiful. I agonized over my decision between that and the Ocean Blue. Ultimately picked the blue because so few of them have been on the road so far and my last 3 cars have been red. Love both colors. The blue is a bit of a chameleon as well, much lighter in bright sunlight.