Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What extension cable should I use (50AMP or 30AMP) NEMA 14-30 and NEMA 14-50?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have two places that I visit and trying to figure out the EV charging setup. One is in Canada. It has a dryer outlet 14-30R and other in the USA has NEMA 14-50 type of plug--not sure of the Amperage. I have a Tesla adapter for NEMA 14-50. Ideally, I want to use one extension cord for both setups.
I have bought a NEMA 14-30P to 14-50R adapter. The question is that what specification for the extension cord will work, or will I need two extension cords with two adapters?
I am getting a reasonable price ($70) for an extension cord with 30 Amp 10AWG/3c 36 FT with NEMA 14-50 male and female plugs. Will this work for both? I understand it will deliver less power and more charging time for NEMA 14-50 location. The second option is that 50A, 8AWG cord with NEAM 14-50 male and female, which costs $135.
Thanks

Screen Shot 2022-08-31 at 1.00.06 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-08-31 at 12.59.15 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-31 at 12.48.42 PM.png

Solution
I went with Lectron 20 foot extension to Tesla native cable. It avoided me to carry three separate extension cords (5-15, 14-30 and 14-50) as suggested above in this discussion by various members. It is little pricey. With coupons etc. you can get it for $200 but still cheaper than buying 3 or 4 extension cords, and the undesirability of carrying those fat cables with you everywhere you go.

So now I have Tesla adapters of 5 types and one extension cord seems to work for all of them.

Lectron is making Tesla adapters of all sorts for a while , so I guess they...
Absolutely NOT safe. If you have a 14-30 outlet and connect it to a 14-50 extension cord, you need to convert back to 14-30 on the other side and use the 14-30 plug adapter for your mobile connector, so that it's hardware limited to 24A. If you're plugging a 14-30 extension cord into a 14-30 outlet, you should not be converting to a 14-50 before connecting to your mobile connector, you should use the proper adapter (in this case, a 14-30 adapter). Using the car to limit to 24A while the EVSE advertises 32A on a 30A outlet is not safe and could overdraw if the car has a software regression bug (and Tesla is always having those).
If you had quoted a different post this would be a good reply. However poster was using 30amp cord and 30 amp tesla adapter though.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
I also wanted to buy two and asked the support and was told that you cannot combine but she did not seem very knowledgeable.
Please confirm if you can combine and it works.
Thanks
Bought 3 of them and have now been using them. Hooked up to a wall charger at 40amps (50amp breaker) all 3 of them work fine combined! I'd say about 1 volt drop on each one, normally I get about 245 Volts and with all three it's around 242 volts. Much less voltage drop than I'd expect. Connections seems very secure and cable is much thicker than gen3 wall connector so appears good quality.

I now can have Tesla UMC plug at recepticle which monitors the temperature. Previously I had a 14-50 extension cord with all sorts of different adapters. Now I can get rid of almost all of those and just use my UMC adaptors with this Tesla extension cord(s). Only adapters I have that I might carry are 10-50, L14-30 as Tesla doesn't make an adapter. I bought the evse tt30 UMC one.

Super excited to use this setup.

Reactions: wadood
Upvote 0
This is probably the best solution but maaan... pretty pricey.

Yeah its probably not an ideal use of money. Especially as more chargers pop up and the new CCS adapter being available. I end up doing camping and other activities in remote areas where the flexibility to plug into any dryer/stove/rv outlets is a huge benefit. Plus I plan to have a Tesla over a decade.

However the 14-50 extension cords and additional adapters are many hundreds of dollars as well, so its only the difference in cost needed if someone were to jump into buying.

If a company comes up with a bigger extension such as a 40'+ tesla extension then it would probably be ideal to have one of those and a 20' extension instead of the three 20' ones I have.

These are the only Tesla extension cables I have seen so I jumped at buying up a few from a reputable company because I was skeptical they would be available.

Reactions: Gaige and wadood
Upvote 0
Yeah its probably not an ideal use of money. Especially as more chargers pop up and the new CCS adapter being available. I end up doing camping and other activities in remote areas where the flexibility to plug into any dryer/stove/rv outlets is a huge benefit. Plus I plan to have a Tesla over a decade.

However the 14-50 extension cords and additional adapters are many hundreds of dollars as well, so its only the difference in cost needed if someone were to jump into buying.

If a company comes up with a bigger extension such as a 40'+ tesla extension then it would probably be ideal to have one of those and a 20' extension instead of the three 20' ones I have.

These are the only Tesla extension cables I have seen so I jumped at buying up a few from a reputable company because I was skeptical they would be available.
EVSE Adapters have also Tesla extensions from 10 feet to 50 feet.
EVSE Adapters have been making OEM quality Tesla stuff for a while. I use their TT-30 Tesla adapter and works well.

Upvote 0
EVSE Adapters have also Tesla extensions from 10 feet to 50 feet.
EVSE Adapters have been making OEM quality Tesla stuff for a while. I use their TT-30 Tesla adapter and works well.
Try ordering one, every length is out of stock, unavailable to order, and has been for at least the many months I was looking.

• Informative
Upvote 0
Yeah.. but EVSE tesla extension cord would be twice expensive compared to buying the usual extension cord with a tesla adapter. If ready to pay for it, sure, it's a better solution
Which extension cord would you be using? Then you need many adapters from your extension cord to other types of receptacles, plus UMC may charge at incorrect amps, and would not have a temperature sensor.

Yes the Tesla extension is spendy, but if you add up everything it replaces, perhaps not as much as first appears.

Upvote 0
Which extension cord would you be using? Then you need many adapters from your extension cord to other types of receptacles, plus UMC may charge at incorrect amps, and would not have a temperature sensor.

Yes the Tesla extension is spendy, but if you add up everything it replaces, perhaps not as much as first appears.
You'd need two adapters for each receptacle type: receptacle x to 14-50, then 14-50 to receptacle x, and then an adapter for receptacle x for the UMC. Either that or you need a separate extension cord for every type of adapter. I think it's probably simpler to extend the Tesla connector and be done with it. If I were staying at a house and didn't know what type of outlet they had and I was sure it wasn't in or near the garage, I'd get the Tesla extension.

Upvote 0
You'd need two adapters for each receptacle type: receptacle x to 14-50, then 14-50 to receptacle x, and then an adapter for receptacle x for the UMC. Either that or you need a separate extension cord for every type of adapter. I think it's probably simpler to extend the Tesla connector and be done with it. If I were staying at a house and didn't know what type of outlet they had and I was sure it wasn't in or near the garage, I'd get the Tesla extension.

On the UMC side, you only need one for each amperage - 15, 20, 30, and 50. Voltage and plug type (e.g., locking vs non-locking, etc) doesn't matter.

It is why I based my extension cord solution around a heavy duty Camco TT-30 cable, and limiting its use to 24 amps. Adapters for 5-15 and 5-20 are easily available in the RV market. I made my own 14-30/50/60P (neutral blade omitted) to TT-30R adapter for plugging into 30 amp clothes dryer and 50 amp RV receptacles. I almost needed to make a 10-30P->TT-30R adapter last summer when visiting my brothers house. But my UMC cable was just long enough that I didn't need the extension.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Upvote 0

I use one extension cord 14-30 for 50ft, it's $190 on Amazon. and Tesla 14-30 adapter. If I encounter 14-50 outlet which I need to extend from, I have 14-50 to 14-30 adapter and then use the same 14-30 extension cord, which gives 24A and that's more than enough to charge Tesla overnight.
This setup is $190+$45+$25 = $260. vs Tesla extension cord of the same length would be $200 more.
That extension cord is definitely better, but I don't need that often at all, so not willing to pay $200 extra.

Reactions: Rocky_H and MacO512
Upvote 0
I use one extension cord 14-30 for 50ft, it's $190 on Amazon. and Tesla 14-30 adapter. If I encounter 14-50 outlet which I need to extend from, I have 14-50 to 14-30 adapter and then use the same 14-30 extension cord, which gives 24A and that's more than enough to charge Tesla overnight.
This setup is $190+$45+$25 = $260. vs Tesla extension cord of the same length would be $200 more.
That extension cord is definitely better, but I don't need that often at all, so not willing to pay $200 extra.
That's safe, however you won't be able to use the full capabilities of the 14-50 outlet. On a Gen 2 UMC, you should be getting 32A. But using a 14-30 adapter, you will only be getting 24A.

Reactions: MacO512
Upvote 0
If you want to omit the 14-50 adapter just remove the neutral pin on your extension cord.

• Helpful
Reactions: Art84
Upvote 0
That's safe, however you won't be able to use the full capabilities of the 14-50 outlet. On a Gen 2 UMC, you should be getting 32A. But using a 14-30 adapter, you will only be getting 24A.

Yeah - but in my case, the whole setup is just a backup to a backup. So the 24 amp limit doesn't bother me too much. Fortunately I've never had to use the TT-30 extension cable on the road for charging yet. (Have used it, plus a homemade one for 6-30, at home occasionally.)

Reactions: MacO512 and Rocky_H
Upvote 0
If you want to omit the 14-50 adapter just remove the neutral pin on your extension cord.

The problem with 14-50 and 14-30 extensions, with EV charging, is that there is an unneeded 4th conductor for the neutral line. This adds unneeded bulk, weight, and expense. In theory, EVs could simply use NEMA 6 for 240V charging. But from a practical point of view, NEMA 14 receptacles are far more common in the wild.

What is really needed is an extension to go between the UMC and the car. There wasn't one available with the proper Tesla, er, NACS connectors when I put together my kit. Though there are a number of them with J-1772 connectors. These days one could use a Teslatap adapter, J-1772 extension, and then the J-1772 adapter at the car side, as a solution. E.g.:

NEMA anything UMC plug adapter => UMC => TeslaTap => J-1772 extension => J-1772-Tesla adapter => car

Or perhaps evseadapters will get their extensions with the proper Tesla, er, NACS connectors back in stock. Then one can avoid some adapters between the UMC and the car.

Reactions: vlee and MacO512
Upvote 0
The problem with 14-50 and 14-30 extensions, with EV charging, is that there is an unneeded 4th conductor for the neutral line. This adds unneeded bulk, weight, and expense. In theory, EVs could simply use NEMA 6 for 240V charging. But from a practical point of view, NEMA 14 receptacles are far more common in the wild.

What is really needed is an extension to go between the UMC and the car. There wasn't one available with the proper Tesla, er, NACS connectors when I put together my kit. Though there are a number of them with J-1772 connectors. These days one could use a Teslatap adapter, J-1772 extension, and then the J-1772 adapter at the car side, as a solution. E.g.:

NEMA anything UMC plug adapter => UMC => TeslaTap => J-1772 extension => J-1772-Tesla adapter => car

Or perhaps evseadapters will get their extensions with the proper Tesla, er, NACS connectors back in stock. Then one can avoid some adapters between the UMC and the car.
I bought 3 of the Lectron 20' Tesla extensions. They work great, but expensive.

Evse has a 14-50 extension without a neutral pin or wire that would be my second choice.

Although I'm intrigued by the idea of 30 amps extensions. If I were to use a 14-50 extension setup while visiting I'm not sure I'd trust unknown wiring to pull 32 amps anyways.

Upvote 0
I got this as a personalized offer but I think if you click on Get My Discount, it will take you to Amazon and apply the discount. At $179, it easily becomes a better solution than all those contraptions we talked about.

40% OFF- Tesla Charger Extension Cable

$179.99/ $299.99

"We’ve been getting so much AWESOME feedback over our new Tesla Charger & Tesla Charger Extension Cable.
To celebrate, we’d like to give you a chance to buy it for 40% OFF!! "

Reactions: Nikon201068
Upvote 0
I got this as a personalized offer but I think if you click on Get My Discount, it will take you to Amazon and apply the discount. At $179, it easily becomes a better solution than all those contraptions we talked about.

40% OFF- Tesla Charger Extension Cable

$179.99/ $299.99

"We’ve been getting so much AWESOME feedback over our new Tesla Charger & Tesla Charger Extension Cable.
To celebrate, we’d like to give you a chance to buy it for 40% OFF!! "
I just tried this “Get My Discount” link and it worked for me. Thank you so much for sharing wadood

Upvote 0