Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What extension cable should I use (50AMP or 30AMP) NEMA 14-30 and NEMA 14-50?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have two places that I visit and trying to figure out the EV charging setup. One is in Canada. It has a dryer outlet 14-30R and other in the USA has NEMA 14-50 type of plug--not sure of the Amperage. I have a Tesla adapter for NEMA 14-50. Ideally, I want to use one extension cord for both setups.
I have bought a NEMA 14-30P to 14-50R adapter. The question is that what specification for the extension cord will work, or will I need two extension cords with two adapters?
I am getting a reasonable price ($70) for an extension cord with 30 Amp 10AWG/3c 36 FT with NEMA 14-50 male and female plugs. Will this work for both? I understand it will deliver less power and more charging time for NEMA 14-50 location. The second option is that 50A, 8AWG cord with NEAM 14-50 male and female, which costs $135.
Thanks

Screen Shot 2022-08-31 at 1.00.06 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-08-31 at 12.59.15 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-31 at 12.48.42 PM.png

Solution
I went with Lectron 20 foot extension to Tesla native cable. It avoided me to carry three separate extension cords (5-15, 14-30 and 14-50) as suggested above in this discussion by various members. It is little pricey. With coupons etc. you can get it for $200 but still cheaper than buying 3 or 4 extension cords, and the undesirability of carrying those fat cables with you everywhere you go.

So now I have Tesla adapters of 5 types and one extension cord seems to work for all of them.

Lectron is making Tesla adapters of all sorts for a while , so I guess they...
I went with Lectron 20 foot extension to Tesla native cable. It avoided me to carry three separate extension cords (5-15, 14-30 and 14-50) as suggested above in this discussion by various members. It is little pricey. With coupons etc. you can get it for $200 but still cheaper than buying 3 or 4 extension cords, and the undesirability of carrying those fat cables with you everywhere you go.

So now I have Tesla adapters of 5 types and one extension cord seems to work for all of them.

Lectron is making Tesla adapters of all sorts for a while , so I guess they know what they are doing but I wish it were offered by Tesla and a little cheaper.

I just purchased a 40ft j1772 extension cord and am using the Tesla adapter at the car to solve for this problem at home and will be carrying the 20ft Tesla extension cord in my car, thanks for the suggestion!

Upvote 0