Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Extension Cord Do I Need For 14-30 Drier Outlet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The obvious answer is that I need one that is 14-30 on both ends, 30 amp, and for my case 25-30'. The problem is that they don't sell one of these for a reasonable price of less than $100. The Camco 25', 50 amp 14-50 cord is $100. So why do I want to pay $125 for AC Works 14-30 cord which uses less raw materials? I think it is because there is a shortage of 14-30 extension cords and the price is now up because of supply/demand.

Can someone help me by linking me to a cord that meets my needs and budget? Thank you.

There are plenty of examples in the ~$110 range, such as:

NEMA 14-30 Extension Cord for Level 2 EV Charging (30A, 250V)

Whether or not that meets your arbitrary definition of “reasonable” I suppose is up to you.

As for your speculation on why 14-50 cords are less expensive: they are widely used for RV applications and as such there is much higher demand for them. Thus, they’re manufactured at larger scale, and more manufacturers produce them in quantity, so there is more competition and price pressure. The need for 14-30 cords, on the other hand, is relatively scarce, largely limited to people relocating a dryer or the nascent “EV extension cord” market.

So yes, it’s a supply/demand thing, but not in the way you suggest.

The obvious answer is that I need one that is 14-30 on both ends, 30 amp, and for my case 25-30'. The problem is that they don't sell one of these for a reasonable price of less than $100. The Camco 25', 50 amp 14-50 cord is $100. So why do I want to pay $125 for AC Works 14-30 cord which uses less raw materials? I think it is because there is a shortage of 14-30 extension cords and the price is now up because of supply/demand.

Can someone help me by linking me to a cord that meets my needs and budget? Thank you.

How about this $46 MaxWorks cord from Amazon? https://amazon.com/MaxWorks-80841-4-Prong-Generator-Extension/dp/B07CVQNL79

The adapters needed on each end of that extension cord to convert it from twist-lock to regular 14-30 plug/receptacle will make it just as expensive if not more so than buying the correct cord in the first place.

Oops...I failed to read carefully. It does seem like the only cords below a $100 price point are some sketchy custom-made eBay ones that are not UL-listed. I won’t bother to paste those here.

There are plenty of examples in the ~$110 range, such as:

NEMA 14-30 Extension Cord for Level 2 EV Charging (30A, 250V)

Whether or not that meets your arbitrary definition of “reasonable” I suppose is up to you.

As for your speculation on why 14-50 cords are less expensive: they are widely used for RV applications and as such there is much higher demand for them. Thus, they’re manufactured at larger scale, and more manufacturers produce them in quantity, so there is more competition and price pressure. The need for 14-30 cords, on the other hand, is relatively scarce, largely limited to people relocating a dryer or the nascent “EV extension cord” market.

So yes, it’s a supply/demand thing, but not in the way you suggest.
This cord you linked to seems to be exactly what I need. Why does this not come up on google?