Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What extra range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We took delivery of our Tesla Model 3 Long Range RWD with EAP the first week of August 2018. We were excited about the articles and forum threads we had been reading that a software update was going to increase the range of our car 5% (from 310 miles to 325 miles) and also increase peak power. We had been on the 2019.12.1.2 software version for at least a couple of months and didn't have the extra range yet, but were hoping that with the next update we received, it would be there.

Last week we finally received an update and are now on version 2019.20.4.2. We had the occasion of June 29 to take a day trip with the car over to the Central California coast so on Friday night I changed the charge limit up to 100% and plugged the car in to our Wall Connector.

I was surprised and disappointed on Saturday morning when we got in the car which was now showing as fully charged only to find that my range was still 310 miles.

What extra range?

My June 2018 build and delivery received the update at some point last year and the max I ever saw it get to at 100% charge was 320 miles. However, my personal belief is regardless of the bump, I never seem to get anywhere near that even with efficient driving (< 250 wi/mh). I charge to 90% and I got up to 292 on that charge for a few months but now it's back to 284 last night. So don't think it ever amounted to much in the end.

Use up the entire battery and check it yourself. Cabin overheat and sentry mode eat up range and are taken in consideration.

They are not. The battery range estimate on the main screen uses a set Wh/mi number for its calculation on the 3. It does not take anything else into account.

The energy applet does. But that's not what we're talking about here. Also, the S/X can choose rated or ideal for the display. Also not relevant to the 3.

I got the "update" - in late March, right before a road trip I took to Asheville. Somewhere I have a screenshot of it charged to 100%, 325 miles, the morning I left. However, the next update I got, it dropped back to 310, and has stayed right around there since then. I've written tesla support about this numerous times, and have gotten several inconclusive responses.

• Informative
Reactions: Enginerd
Do we have confirmation on that? Mine goes up and down every time I charge.

Yes. You will see different numbers based on the battery calibration varying (battery capacity at any given time is an educated guess by the BMS). However, the number shown in your main gauge and Tesla app is a 'rated' number, based on a set Wh/mi. Tesla also tracks an estimated range which is shown in the energy applet and does take recent driving conditions into account. That's never shown in the gauge or Tesla app for the 3, though.

This can be verified by checking the vehicle API eg through TeslaFi:

Screenshot_20190701-225857.png

It's been discussed ad nauseum in other threads. This is a settled debate.

I think people are obsessing. The displayed "miles" are software
controlled and it could say "666" for all it means. The battery and
the motor(s) do(es) what they do irre-f'ng-gardless. Tesla are working
on the superchargers and the car circuitry to optimize, there will be
changes and variations until it settles down. Don't worry, your battery
isn't vaporizing to Mars.