Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Features and Accessories Come with New Tesla Models?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tps5352

Supporting Member
As most of us know, in 2020-21 new North American Tesla cars came with 32-amp Gen 2 Mobile Connectors, NEMA 5-15 adapter-plugs, and J1772 adapters for basic charging at home and on the road. Meanwhile, Tesla maintains (changing) lists of car-specific accessories for sale online (Tesla Car Accessories). But what other items did new cars come with (squirreled away in glove boxes, trunks, and frunks), and how does this swag vary among the four current models? Tesla was arguably more "generous" in earlier years, and may have been gradually whittling away at the "free" accessories provided with new cars. Gone are presentation gift boxes for Model X key-fobs (with lanyards and little fob-opening tools), NEMA 14-50 adapter-plugs (Update: returned in 2022!), and even basic floor mats in at least one model-version.

Here is a table of accessories and (some) features that may have come with new Tesla cars at least up to January 2021:

New Car Accessory / Feature
Model S
Model Ǝ
Model X
Model Y
Gen2 Mobile Connector (w/carry bag)​
included (1)
included​
included​
included​
NEMA 5-15 Adapter-Plug
included​
included​
included​
included​
J1772 Adapter
included​
included​
included​
included​
Rear Tow Hitch Adapter Kit (w/trunk-storage case)​
NA (2)
NA​
included​
$1,000 (3)
Front Tow (Eye) Hook
included​
included​
included​
included​
Front License Plate Holder (4)
included​
included​
included​
included​
Rear License Plate Frame
included​
included (5)
included​
included​
Key Fob
2 included (6)
$175​
2 included (6)
$175​
Key Card
NA (6)
2 included​
NA (6)
2 included​
HEPA Filter (7)
included​
NA​
included​
included (7)
128 GB Tesla USB Drive
$45​
included​
$45​
included​
Panoramic Windshield Sunshade (w/storage bag)​
NA​
NA​
included​
NA​
Garage Door Opener Feature
included​
$325​
included​
$325​
Basic Carpeted Floor Mats
included​
included (8)
included​
included​
Monroney Label (window sales sticker)​
included​
included​
included​
included​
Performance Pedals
$120 (9)
(9)
$120 (9)
(9)
Enhanced Anti-Theft System
$350 (10)
NA​
$350 (10)
NA​
Roadside Safety Kit (10)
$65​
$65​
$65​
$65​
Tire Repair Kit (10)
(11)
(11)
(11)
(11)
Mobile Phone Charging Cable
NA​
$14 (12)
NA​
(12)
Wireless Mobile Phone Charger
included​
included (13)
included​
included (13)
Footnotes:
1 - "included" = "included with purchase of new car."
2 - "NA" = "not available" or "not applicable," as appropriate.
3 - $1,200 if purchased after delivery.
4 - At least where required by law, but possibly in all states/territories.
5 - $40 on Tesla Shop Model 3 site.
6 - Mid-2021 "refreshed" Models S and X now come with 2 key cards (optional key fobs may or may not be available for purchase).
7 - Lacking or optional in earlier Models S & X; standard in Models S & X by 2020/21; standard in Model Y after mid-2021.
8 - Not included with Standard Range Model 3.
9 - Included with Performance models.
10 - Included in some markets, regions, states, and/or countries.
11 - Was $70. As of 10/31/21 not offered on Tesla Shop page for any North American car model.
12 - Included in all Models Ǝ and Y (without wireless charging?).
13 - Starting in 2020.
A Model X Key Fob Presentation Box - 9.jpg B Model 3 License Plate Frame.jpg C Tesla J1772 Adapter.jpg D Tow Hitch Set in bag.jpg E Tow Hitch Bar 2.jpg

F Thumbdrive.jpg G Model S Tow Hook.jpg H Emergency Roadside Kit.jpg I HEPA Air Filter.jpg J Tesla Tire Repair Kit.jpg

A - Two-fob presentation box (w/lanyards and pry-tool) from (early) Model X
B - Model 3 License Plate Frame
C - J1772 Adapter
D - Model X Trailer Hitch Adapter Kit
E - Model X Trailer Hitch Assembly
F - Tesla 128 GB USB Drive
G - Front Tow Eye-Hook
H - Roadside Safety Kit
I - HEPA Air Filter
J - Tire Repair Kit​
Focus of this Table
  1. Pre-refresh Models S and X, and up to early-2021 Models X and Y. I may continue to make some arbitrary revisions in 2021, but at some point a new table will probably be necessary (probably created by a different owner with first-hand knowledge) to cover "refreshed" and late-2021 Models S, Ǝ, X, and Y, and the variations that follow.
  2. North American cars. Vehicles in other markets worldwide may offer different accessories and features.
  3. Accessories (loose, generally small objects placed inside new cars), although I have arbitrarily included some built-in features.
Additional Notes:
  • As we all see, lists of Tesla Shop-page accessories for the various models evolve in fits and starts over time.
  • "Free" items that came with new cars appear to have varied somewhat by (a) model, (b) model-version, (c) model-year, and perhaps (d) delivery location with greater numbers of accessories arguably provided in the more expensive model-versions and in earlier years.
  • If you see any discrepancies, please update us with what your 2020 and earlier car came with.

Last edited:
2021 Model Y (maybe also refreshed 3’s?) comes with USB Drive - 128 GB in the glovebox.

Model Y & 3 come with 2 key cards.

I thought all Model Y & 3 came with basic carpet floor mats?

I believe all Model Y & 3 come with front mounting, via 3M tape, license plate holders in states which require them.

Model Y tow hitch is $1,000 on order and $1,200 after delivery.

Model Y & 3 Performance comes with performance pedals and carbon fiber spoiler.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: tps5352
For M3 only the SR model does NOT have floor mats (part of premium interior package). Both Y and 3 comes with a front plate holder. Although the OEM one is stick on and not required everywhere so aftermarket alternatives are popular.

• Helpful
Reactions: tps5352
...carbon fiber spoiler.

Very helpful. Your comments and those of others made me dive into the Models 3 and Y ordering pages on the Tesla site, which confirmed most of your suggestions. I arbitrarily choose to leave out the carbon-fiber spoiler (along with performance brakes, upgrade wheels, etc.), but added some stuff I had missed.

I am still unsure if Models 3 and Y come with rear license plate frames. There is one for sale at Tesla site for Model 3, but not for Model Y.

Strange that Tesla offers the performance pedals for Models 3 and Y, but does not sell them on its website, as it does for Models S and X.

...I am still unsure if Models 3 and Y come with rear license plate frames. There is one for sale at Tesla site for Model 3, but not for Model Y...

I am now pretty sure that all new cars are still supposed to come with front license plate holders, at least in those states and territories that require front license plates to be displayed.

Did certain Tesla models come with (iPhone, Android) cell phone charging cables and/or USB plug adapters?

Anything else I am missing?

Pretty comprehensive. Tesla should post this on their Shop Website.

Thank you. I believe some cars--Models 3 and Y?--may have come with Android and iPhone cell phone USB charging cables and/or USB adapters. But apparently no longer?

I would imagine that Tesla Legal would not want to promote a list like this. First because manufactured products, features, and specifications are commonly subject to change without notice (blah, blah). Second, because it would be just that much more workload to keep updating the list. Third, because Tesla probably does not want encourage customer complaints from people missing this or that perceived "free" accessory in their new car.

I made up a list of what to expect (along with potential issues to check for) before I picked up my new car in March. Almost everything was there, and Tesla delivery staff satisfactorily answered my questions in person about the one or two things missing (items that came exclusively with Models 3 and Y, or things which no longer came with Model X). But Tesla did not tell me what to expect beforehand--posts on this Forum, and elsewhere, did.

Last edited:
I ordered an MY five days ago. I was told by two different people at Tesla that it will not come with a 14-50 connector. DaxM on YT picked up an MY in Canada that came with front mudflaps and rear "fender" ppf. He was told that these were added independently by the service center and are not standard.

I ordered an MY five days ago. I was told by two different people at Tesla that it will not come with a 14-50 connector. DaxM on YT picked up an MY in Canada that came with front mudflaps and rear "fender" ppf. He was told that these were added independently by the service center and are not standard.
Yes, I believe Teslas only come with a 5-15 adapter for the mobile charger.

Reactions: BitJam
Yes, I believe Teslas only come with a 5-15 adapter for the mobile charger.

Yes; in the early days of Model S (2012-->) and then with Model X (2016-->) the Mobile Connectors (Gen 1 and even early Gen 2) came in a new car with both the NEMA 5-15 and 14-50 adapters. But apparently there were instances over the years of shorts, overheating, or even small fires with 14-50 home charging. This was probably due to inadequate home installation of inexpensive NEMA 14-50 receptacles and/or use of inappropriate wiring (and probably not the fault of the Tesla charging equipment). Nonetheless, Tesla (wisely?) decided to put more emphasis on the use of its (locally permitted) hard-wired Wall Connectors, which in the majority of cases are installed by licensed electricians (with accountability). "Free" NEMA 14-50 adapter-plugs disappeared from new cars, but remained available for sale on the Tesla website. This move probably saved Tesla a few bucks per car, also. I have not heard of the "free" Model Y mudflap and PPF thing in America.

• Informative
Reactions: sgalla04
I’m attending the official virtual Tesla Orientation tonight in advance of my delivery this week and the presenter said all new models going forward will include 2 key cards.

He didn’t give a date, but clearly said as of now it is just M3 and MY, but soon all models will have them included.

So will refreshed Models S and X not be getting key-fobs?

It wouldn't surprise me as Tesla seems to be moving away from fobs--they are expensive, but I like them..

Last edited:
Model X fobs are different than all others. They are slightly larger, and they have "buttons" on the side for the FWDs.

I do not know if Model S fobs are the same as those for Models 3 and Y.

The Tesla Shop website no longer lists fobs for Models S and X. (Fobs for Models 3 and Y can still be purchased.) While you can probably still get replacement fobs from Service, I think that Tesla is heading towards a fobless future for its new cars...

Reactions: sgalla04