TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What features are coming for HW1 AP drivers...

Discussion in 'Model S' started by ElectricLove, Jan 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ElectricLove

ElectricLove Member

I've been waiting for this conversation to come up but haven't seen anything. My Model S (and most of them on the road and forum today) is of the HW1 variant for AP.

When TESLA originally announced AP they made a lot of claims about how it could be used, including dropping yourself off at the door of a mall and having the car go find its own spot and then summon back to you on demand. They made other claims as well but I don't think they ever said anything about the AP vehicles they were selling not being capable of some of these functions in the future. Now of course we have HW2 and HW2 is being touted as capable of full autonomy, which is great but what level of autonomy and what other features of AP are us HW1 owners going to get?

I don't have any expectations that we will get any additional functionality but I do have hope and wondering what everyone else thinks/knows...

2. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

I don't think we will see any additional HW1/AP improvements until HW2/AP2 reaches functional parity... then maybe :cool:

3. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Member

Did Tesla specifically state that AP1 cars would be capable of those features, or that Tesla cars in general the future would be capable of those features?

4. fasteddie7

fasteddie7 Member

I agree with this. Elon tweeted yesterday that 3-6 months for FSD features so this may happen sooner than later for HW2. I would like to see a more robust summon, stop sign and red light recognition (the HW1 mobileye camera can definitely do this) and use the blue "hold" while stopped for the driver to manually accellerate after looking both ways, and I would love to have auto park not need two cars to park between and read lines in a parking lot in case I'd like to park away from others.

• Like x 1
  5. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Supporting Member

Yes. Yes they did.

Musk, speaking at the D launch event made promises of many things we are still waiting for.

• Like x 3
  6. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

I'll settle for the features that we have working properly. I get lost in my tiny brain between what was touted (I don't think anything was "promised") directly and what was interpreted and inflated, eventually becoming TMC "fact". I'm fairly sure the car driving itself around the mall parking lot was never discussed. They said "private property", which we stretched on TMC to mean something other than on YOUR private driveway to mean any property not owned by the government (like mall parking lots).

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  7. croman

croman Active Member

The private property restriction gets around regulations prohibiting driverless vehicles. That being said, much of this has been dissected ad nasuem.

8. Andyw2100

There was never anything said or promised about driving around a mall parking lot. You are correct about that. But there most definitely were promises made that have not been kept. Please see the D launch video below, to hear what was explicitly promised in this respect, direct from Elon Musk's mouth. 9:56 through 10:50.

• Like x 1
  9. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

I will not miss any of the features discussed in that segment of the video. True, those things were not delivered. If I felt betrayed because those features were missing, I'd start doing some self-analysis to try to try to find the real, deep-seated reason for my anger. For me, not having the car pull out of the garage and meet me at a scheduled time from my calendar, pre-heated and with my music playing is just not something to fret about. The car would be plugged in, anyway, and I would not have opted to pay for whatever mechanism was required to have the plug/unplug automagically. Just not a big deal for me.

• Like x 1
  10. green1

green1 Active Member

Tesla has so far delivered ZERO of the features promised at the D event and in subsequent website updates, blog posts, interviews, etc. This will not change. There will be zero "new features" added to AP1 ever.

There WILL be more restrictions and limitations placed on it.

There is no possible good to be gained for Tesla from anyone using AP1 at this point, they see it entirely as a liability, and are trying to do their best to convince people to stop using it.

• Disagree x 4
    • Like x 1
  11. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Geeze green1, WTAF??

I've seen you post lots of crazy stuff on TMC, but that takes the cake.

• Like x 6
  12. Andyw2100

Did I say I felt betrayed about the broken promises made at the D event? You stated that you did not believe there were any promises broken, and I proved that there were.

And I don't need to do any self-analysis to discover the deep-seated reason for my anger. It's the broken promise of 691 horse power, and the fact that Tesla has done nothing for those of us loyal enough to Tesla not to sue them. Damn right I'm angry!

• Like x 3
  13. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

Yup, I was confused. It's hard for me keep track of what each individual is upset about. I need to make a list...

• Funny x 2
  14. Andyw2100

No need for you to keep track. The 691 HP issue is, I assure you, at the top of many people's lists.

• Like x 1
  15. fasteddie7

fasteddie7 Member

Elon literally tweeted a few days ago the ap1 would be getting regular enhancements along side ap2 over the course of the year.
    [​IMG]
    Jan 16
    Elon Musk [email protected]
    @OlivierW4 There will be many improvements to HW1 over the course of the year

• Like x 2
  16. Andyw2100

Is there a way to tweet figuratively? :)

• Funny x 2
  17. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

This is TMC, Elon says that in 3-6 FSD features will be coming out. TMC says "holy moly, in 3-6 months my car will drive itself from CA to NY, fill up on it's own, pick me up at my parking spot, and allow me to nap!"

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
  18. green1

green1 Active Member

Oh great, he tweeted it so it MUST be true! Elon has said many things, and a huge number of them have proven to be flat out lies.

After all, he is the one that specifically stated that AP1 cars would drive from on-ramp to off-ramp without the driver touching any controls within 12 months from mid 2015.

I'll believe that AP1 will improve when it actually improves. The last time that happened was in 2015, every change since has been to actively remove or limit functionality.

19. jdjeff88

jdjeff88 Member

Mine does drive on ramp to off ramp without touching any controls. Your's doesn't? Mine also drives better and handles more things better than it did when I bought it 4 months ago. My music system is better too. You know why that is? Software updates. Yup. Software updates. They work...if you work 'em. Try it! Then complain. Or just complain. Either can be quite fun.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  20. green1

green1 Active Member

So with no hands on the steering wheel? or is the steering wheel not a control any more?

And yet, not nearly as well as a car bought a year ago did at that time.

You mean software DOWNGRADES, that's what we call changes that remove functionality that already existed, especially when they don't add anything in exchange.

I know it's fashionable around here to believe that Tesla can do no wrong, but how blind do you have to be to not see that AP1 doesn't match any of the promises initially made?????